Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Reoccurring heel pain

Posted by Shanna D. on 10/26/00 at 20:40 (031412)

Hello Doctors!
I was diagnosed with PF and heel spurs about 3 years ago. I have custom fitted orthotics which at first were a major God send. Now i am starting to have the same pain again. Sometimes it gets so bad i'm limping to get around and oh the dreaded mornings. I do stretch my feet before getting out of bed and before and after walks, but this is not helping the way it used to. I have an appointment with my family Doctor on 11/6 and she will most likely refer me to a Podiatrist(general hmo drill). The last time i went(3 yrs. ago) my insurance company wouldn't pay for my orthotics(they did pay for the doc visits) and i paid out of pocket. Since then i do have new insurance( healthguard), but i am worried because can they deny payment because this is prexisting??? I'm not sure how this works. I also wanted to know when surgery is a good option for PF treatment and if removal of the bone spurs would help decrease heel pain??? Tahnk you all in advance for your help! Shanna D.

Re: Reoccurring heel pain

Dr. Biehler on 10/28/00 at 12:06 (031518)

If the orthotics helped in the past, the first thing to do is to find out what has changed, the foot or the orthotic. Surgery can be discussed for heal spur syndrom but usually after concervative treatment is tried for 6 to 12 months with out help. Now you can use the ESWT as a non-surgical approch to resovle plantar fasciitis but this is not covered by insurance. Whether the spur is removed or not is something to discuss with the person doing the surgery if you deside to go that way. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/00 at 18:10 (031594)

Hi,

The problem you are having pf-heel spur pain is on going and not pre-existing problem . If you insurance company takes this stand then they should be our of existance because they are support to cover your heel spur pain and not worry about if and when it came. Now back to the problem which is the most important. You need an x-ray . You need to determine what caused this reoccurrence. Try to think about what triggered this again. It is possible that the orthosis needs an adjustment. Is is possible that you have a new tear in the plantar fascia at the insertion. What is your occupation ? Are you a sports person. Do you stand on hard cement. Please give me additional information

Dr. Biehler on 10/28/00 at 12:06 (031518)

If the orthotics helped in the past, the first thing to do is to find out what has changed, the foot or the orthotic. Surgery can be discussed for heal spur syndrom but usually after concervative treatment is tried for 6 to 12 months with out help. Now you can use the ESWT as a non-surgical approch to resovle plantar fasciitis but this is not covered by insurance. Whether the spur is removed or not is something to discuss with the person doing the surgery if you deside to go that way. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/00 at 18:10 (031594)

Hi,

The problem you are having pf-heel spur pain is on going and not pre-existing problem . If you insurance company takes this stand then they should be our of existance because they are support to cover your heel spur pain and not worry about if and when it came. Now back to the problem which is the most important. You need an x-ray . You need to determine what caused this reoccurrence. Try to think about what triggered this again. It is possible that the orthosis needs an adjustment. Is is possible that you have a new tear in the plantar fascia at the insertion. What is your occupation ? Are you a sports person. Do you stand on hard cement. Please give me additional information