Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascitis - help!!!

Posted by Sue B on 10/26/00 at 21:40 (031414)

I am a triathlete, competed several times in the Ironman World Triathlon Championship in Hawaii. I am wanting to do another IM race in July but have recurrent pain over the medial aspect of the bottom of the heel - point tenderness - it has been bothering me for a year, i have quit running for as much as 4 weeks as a time with no luck, even with low mileage, it comes back. I have tried a heel cushion, Dr. Scholls athletic inserts, night splint, ice, Naprosyn, taping, and deep massage. I am totally frustrated - I was wondering if I need an orthotic but do not want a rigid one (tried that years ago and wasted my money) - I was wanting to try ESWT. I noticed there is a site in Galveston, any in Dallas, TX where I live? Do you think surgery is the only answer or an injection, both of which I have tried to avoid. Do you know any good physicians here who could check my shoes and gait, etc. ? Please respond

Re: plantar fascitis - help!!!

Bob G. on 10/28/00 at 00:04 (031493)

you need to rest your foot for longer than 45 minutes. it took me 10 months. good luck!

Julie F on 10/28/00 at 13:01 (031521)

Sue, for what it's worth, and we all know how hard it is to stop doing what we love to do, all the evidence points to the fact that if you want to get rid of PF, you have to rest. Rest = healing, period (or full stop as we say here in Britain). If you continue to run, you may end up with a chronic, long-term, debilitating case. Read the PF Book and the posts on the message boards for information and the experience of others.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/00 at 18:17 (031595)

hi,

You are having a real heel pain problem. So which is causing the problem the biking, running or the swimming. What is your training like . I take that you a very serious profesional sportswoman. The thing that needs to be done is to determine what is the cause behind
Have you have any professinal evaluations either by a Sports podiatrist and or orthopedic surgeon. Give me some more information and I will try to help you and or evaluate you online.

Sue B on 11/03/00 at 23:15 (031902)

The running seems to be the culprit - I have seen an orthopedic surgeon. I have an appointment to see a podiatrist next week. The family med doctor wanted to do a cortisone injection but i was hesitant. I typically do long races but have not this last year. I pronate some but motion control shoes are too much correction - running in Adidas shoes now ( I have a Narrow heel.) I am valgus and had a lateral release on the left leg in 1983 due to ITB problems. My right leg has not been released and that is the one that bothers me. I have good ROM in the calf and am trying to really stretch the hamstrings also. I have tried gel heel pads, a Dr. Scholl's sports insert for better arch support, too. I am not running at all now. When my ITB was bothering me,before surgery I tried hard orthotics which made the problem worse. WHen the problem with plantar fascitis started I was having problems with my calf tightening on long runs - but that has not been a problem for a very long time. The pain is over the medial origin of the PF - fairly localized - feels like i am walking on a rock and have a bruise. Arch is not high or low. I change my running shoes frequently. Run 3 days/wk for total of 20-25 mi/wk with one long run. AM taking Naprosyn but did not know if the cortisone shot would help or weaken the tissue in the long run. An X-ray in Jan, 2000 showed no evidence of heel spur but no recent ones. I do deept tissue massage and ice. Was curious about ESWT as I saw Dr. Marymont in Houston does it. I am getting desperate. I had planned to start training for an ironman race in Jan, 2001 which is held in July. I am 44 and I guess you could say I am a competitive age group triathlete and duathlete. I really enjoy the sports and hate to give them up. Thank you so much in advance for responding. After laying off for 3-4 weeks 3 times this year, it seems to be resolved but always comes back. Sue B in Dallas

Bob G. on 10/28/00 at 00:04 (031493)

you need to rest your foot for longer than 45 minutes. it took me 10 months. good luck!

Julie F on 10/28/00 at 13:01 (031521)

Sue, for what it's worth, and we all know how hard it is to stop doing what we love to do, all the evidence points to the fact that if you want to get rid of PF, you have to rest. Rest = healing, period (or full stop as we say here in Britain). If you continue to run, you may end up with a chronic, long-term, debilitating case. Read the PF Book and the posts on the message boards for information and the experience of others.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/00 at 18:17 (031595)

hi,

You are having a real heel pain problem. So which is causing the problem the biking, running or the swimming. What is your training like . I take that you a very serious profesional sportswoman. The thing that needs to be done is to determine what is the cause behind
Have you have any professinal evaluations either by a Sports podiatrist and or orthopedic surgeon. Give me some more information and I will try to help you and or evaluate you online.

Sue B on 11/03/00 at 23:15 (031902)

The running seems to be the culprit - I have seen an orthopedic surgeon. I have an appointment to see a podiatrist next week. The family med doctor wanted to do a cortisone injection but i was hesitant. I typically do long races but have not this last year. I pronate some but motion control shoes are too much correction - running in Adidas shoes now ( I have a Narrow heel.) I am valgus and had a lateral release on the left leg in 1983 due to ITB problems. My right leg has not been released and that is the one that bothers me. I have good ROM in the calf and am trying to really stretch the hamstrings also. I have tried gel heel pads, a Dr. Scholl's sports insert for better arch support, too. I am not running at all now. When my ITB was bothering me,before surgery I tried hard orthotics which made the problem worse. WHen the problem with plantar fascitis started I was having problems with my calf tightening on long runs - but that has not been a problem for a very long time. The pain is over the medial origin of the PF - fairly localized - feels like i am walking on a rock and have a bruise. Arch is not high or low. I change my running shoes frequently. Run 3 days/wk for total of 20-25 mi/wk with one long run. AM taking Naprosyn but did not know if the cortisone shot would help or weaken the tissue in the long run. An X-ray in Jan, 2000 showed no evidence of heel spur but no recent ones. I do deept tissue massage and ice. Was curious about ESWT as I saw Dr. Marymont in Houston does it. I am getting desperate. I had planned to start training for an ironman race in Jan, 2001 which is held in July. I am 44 and I guess you could say I am a competitive age group triathlete and duathlete. I really enjoy the sports and hate to give them up. Thank you so much in advance for responding. After laying off for 3-4 weeks 3 times this year, it seems to be resolved but always comes back. Sue B in Dallas