Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SPA by Easy Spirit

Posted by Kim B. on 10/27/00 at 12:26 (031466)

Hi Gang,

I had been feeling so much better that I started 'over doing it' and so now, I've been feeling a little (FM) sick. However, I have some new shoes that are cheering me up a little. Here is a report on the SPA by Easy Spirit. I got them a couple of days ago.

So far, so good. Hold on to your hat, they are fashionable and comfortable. Mine are black, with a cloth upper, my feet typically get hot, so cloth is good for me in that respect. They are suprisingly supportive. The sole is good, tough rubber and has a bit of a higher heel than the front. Auto heel lift for me. I got mine at Dillard's, for $69.00.

They are soft and feel great. Closed toe and heel, and very roomy toe box. I had to special order a 'wide width', and, since Dillard's was out of stock on the size I suspected I needed, Dillards sent them to my house, no postage charge. They said that if necessary, I can return them directly to the store.

I usually wear a new pair of shoes around the house for a few days, (i.e don't take them out on concrete) until I am sure about keeping them.

Oddly, I needed a half size smaller than is usual. But the wide width is great for my large duck feet. They are very comfortable (hince the name,) heck, I'd buy these even if I didn't have PF. Sorry guys, they are for ladies only, so, Rick and John, don't even think about it. However do check them men's department to see if they carry any easy spirit shoes for men.

So, look for the SPA Easy Spirit, at better shoe stores. Good luck, they're not for everyone one, but, so far, they are comfy to me.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: SPA by Easy Spirit

Bea K on 10/28/00 at 00:23 (031494)

I cannot wear shoes with a back & was tired of Birks( they are somewhat heavy, especially in summer) so I bought a pair of Easy Spirit & have worn them all summer with very good results.Because they were lite weight my legs didn't get so tired yet they gave very good support. Unfortunately I cannot give any info on name but I feel the brand should be considered when looking for new shoes. Definately a positive experience.

salina on 10/28/00 at 15:10 (031528)

Hi Kim,
How is the arch support in them?
thanks

Kim B. on 10/28/00 at 16:22 (031534)

Hi Salina,

The arch support is about 'medium' I think. There is definately a little more than the days of old.

The support I mentioned is also the super-de-duper spandex/stretchy cloth type upper. It's like a girdle for you feet. Unlike leather, it doesn't cause friction rubbed spots for me. They seem to 'breath well', so my feet stay cooler. They have a cloth inner that seem to absorb moisture. The sole is a thick (not at all heavy though,) blace rubber sole with a slighly higher heel. I'm at a point where shock absorbtion, soft support and slightly elevated heels seem to benifit me well.

I'm not saying I can wear this pair around all the time, I haven't tried that yet, but I have worn them for hours at a time, and so, far so, good. The black ones look pretty good IMNHO.

I think it's the combination of so many good things in one shoe that make them work for me. They have a nice, wide (slightly square) toe box too, but I ordered a wide width anyway. The right size makes all the difference. btw, I ended up needing a half size smaller than I normally do, but I still needed the extra width for a perfect fit.

Check 'em out, try them at home for a couple of days, (do not scuff up the bottoms or get the insides sweaty or dirty), and if they bother your feet at all, TAKE THEM BACK TO THE STORE. If the stores can see by the date and etc, that you haven't, and apparently, will not, get much use out of them, they will usually take them back. I often take shoes home to try them on with different outfits also. There is no harm in test driving a pair of shoes around your house a little before you decide to keep them. If your shoe store gives you much trouble, take your business else-where.

I think many shoe manufactures are getting the message and are starting to put 'more' into the design and construction of shoes. This is a trend I am glad to see.

Regards, Kim B.

Pam on 10/28/00 at 21:32 (031546)

I have not found a comfortable shoe as yet. I'll try the SPA Easy Spirit Shoe. I know I had a pair of sneakers made by Easy Spirit that lasted for two years and are still going strong--in fact those are the only shoes I can seem to wear. Orthodics were made for me at $300.00 a pop so the intersole needs to come out of the shoe for me to be able to wear them. Does SPA have removeable intersoles? I have Fibromyalgia and been just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and Fibroma. Between the two nothing is comfortable. Got a new Doc/ He's telling to ice my feet 4 times a day -put me on Celebrex for the inflamation and he's started me on shots next week. I also have developed Fibroma in my hands. Any one out there have the same problems I do. I would appreciate some feedback. It's bad enough to suffer from FMS and Chronic Fatique --now I can hardly walk. Help , please. Thank you Pam

Re: SPA by Easy Spirit, FM and newbie stuff

Kim B. on 10/29/00 at 00:36 (031550)

Hi Pam,

The SPA shoe doesn't seem to have a foot bed that is designed to be removed for the purpose of slipping another kind in. With a little effort you could get it out, but, then, if the insert didn't hit in the 'right' spots, I think the SPA inner footbed would be ruined.

These may just be a good shoes for folks to know about and consider for short periods of wear. I doubt they would be the thing for a severly chronic case at the peak of it's pain. I mainly mentioned it because, all and all, it's a nice looking shoe with black slacks or jeans. For those who have to walk around in an office environment alot, they may be just the ticket on certian days. We PFers always seem to get stuck with the ugliest of shoes. These are a little different in that respect.

When my foot pain was at it's worse, I had good results with 'SAS Freetime Walking shoes' which has a removeable foot bed and are deep enough for even custom orthotics. Check your yellow pages, and do a word search here on 'SAS' to learn more. Nurses wear them alot to help with their achey feet. For a while I used them with 'SofSole' otc inserts.

Personally, I got more progress with the soft but supportive kinds of shoes and footbed inserts, while others here get good results with harder shoes and inserts like the Birkenstocks for example. It is a very individualized thing. You'll have to try several to know which are best for you. Unfortuantly, on a bad day, your feet will get aggrevated just from trying on shoes and inserts. Then the waters get even more muddy. Finding the right products can be a slow and expensive process. Look for gaurantees, and save all reciepts 'till you are sure you are going to keep them. Some products can be returned if they are not really worn but just tried out a little.

I too have Fibromyalgia (FM). It is surely the pits of hell at times, and so is PF. In my heart of hearts, I feel the FM and PF are connected in some way. It may be just a huge coincidence that I deal with both. I used to have endometriosis too, before a hysterectomy last summer ridded me of that curse. It just seems every muscle and organ in my body is overly inflammed or severly cramping at one time or another. I also have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and a whole laundry list of things that go wrong if I don't take good care of myself. I've managed so far, but only by the grace of God, who saddled me with a very decent and supportive husband. He gets a little put out with all of it at times, and I lean on him alot to help with our son. But so far, he's stuck by me. I hope to get well enough to be there for him if he ever needs me to.

What is Fibroma? Is it different from FM or Fibrositis? Or, is it more akin to carpal tunnel? I've never heard of it before.

Your doc is right, ice is good and helps relieve pain. I also use it in some of my FM spots, (neck, shoulders, back, etc...) too when needed. Just don't over do the icing.

Do a word search here at the site on things that are of interest to you to learn more about what other posters have already posted. 'Icing' or 'Ice packs' is a good topic to start with. It is important to do it correctly, (i.e. 10-15 min. on, and a min. of 20 min.) to get the best results and not cause a REVERSAL of benefits.

'Gel ice packs' work best for me, and I've found that having at least two in the freezer is good, 'cause there is always one chilled when I need it the most. They run about $6.00 each and can be found over by the bandaids and first aid at grocery and drug stores. I also have a wide mouth, refillable ice pack that turned out to be just the thing for being away from home ($11).

Celebrex is good too. However, if you have IBS or other tummy problems that are bothered by the Celebrex, I can highly recommend 'Vioxx' be the next anti-imflammatory you try (Like Celebrex, new and expensive, btw). The Vioxx tablets are small and, as one of my docs explained to me, they don't sit there and irritate the lining of your tummy like many meds will do to persons with a history of tummy toubles. Thankfully, I don't have to use them everyday anymore. When my PF was at it's worse, NO anti-inflammatories seem to help the pain, but when I retried the Vioxx later down the road, they gave me a lot of benefit.

Hang around, read Scott's PF book at the front of thie site. Use the word search feature to learn more about the best ideas to try to manage your foot pain. Do a seach on 'newbies' too. Check out 'shower shoes', which can also be of help, especially when the PF is at it's worse. I still use them (cheap flip flops I got from WalMart for $6.00).

PF is tough, I'm not going to sugar-coat it. Just give yourself time to learn and accept the situation and try to keep moving forward, one day at a time. Post when you have questions or want to add to or answer someone elses. We will help you out in anyway we can.

BTW, when you see a product or shoe that is of interest to you, do a search here and get honest opinions to determine if it may be a good product for you to try. Even though Scott (the Site Master) showcases some products at the front of this site, we are all free to speak our honest opinions here, as long as we aren't rude. We try to have a little fun along the way, and sometimes we misbehave a little and Scott has to put us back in line. Mainly we try to help each other though a very difficult illness. BTW, do a word search on 'depression' to learn more about how really devistating this illness can be, aside from the just the pain of it. You will probably relate to what others have posted too. One last thing, the right anti-depressants in the right dose are also helpful for many, including me.

Hoping you feel better soon,

Kim B.

Bea K on 10/28/00 at 00:23 (031494)

I cannot wear shoes with a back & was tired of Birks( they are somewhat heavy, especially in summer) so I bought a pair of Easy Spirit & have worn them all summer with very good results.Because they were lite weight my legs didn't get so tired yet they gave very good support. Unfortunately I cannot give any info on name but I feel the brand should be considered when looking for new shoes. Definately a positive experience.

salina on 10/28/00 at 15:10 (031528)

Hi Kim,
How is the arch support in them?
thanks

Kim B. on 10/28/00 at 16:22 (031534)

Hi Salina,

The arch support is about 'medium' I think. There is definately a little more than the days of old.

The support I mentioned is also the super-de-duper spandex/stretchy cloth type upper. It's like a girdle for you feet. Unlike leather, it doesn't cause friction rubbed spots for me. They seem to 'breath well', so my feet stay cooler. They have a cloth inner that seem to absorb moisture. The sole is a thick (not at all heavy though,) blace rubber sole with a slighly higher heel. I'm at a point where shock absorbtion, soft support and slightly elevated heels seem to benifit me well.

I'm not saying I can wear this pair around all the time, I haven't tried that yet, but I have worn them for hours at a time, and so, far so, good. The black ones look pretty good IMNHO.

I think it's the combination of so many good things in one shoe that make them work for me. They have a nice, wide (slightly square) toe box too, but I ordered a wide width anyway. The right size makes all the difference. btw, I ended up needing a half size smaller than I normally do, but I still needed the extra width for a perfect fit.

Check 'em out, try them at home for a couple of days, (do not scuff up the bottoms or get the insides sweaty or dirty), and if they bother your feet at all, TAKE THEM BACK TO THE STORE. If the stores can see by the date and etc, that you haven't, and apparently, will not, get much use out of them, they will usually take them back. I often take shoes home to try them on with different outfits also. There is no harm in test driving a pair of shoes around your house a little before you decide to keep them. If your shoe store gives you much trouble, take your business else-where.

I think many shoe manufactures are getting the message and are starting to put 'more' into the design and construction of shoes. This is a trend I am glad to see.

Regards, Kim B.

Pam on 10/28/00 at 21:32 (031546)

I have not found a comfortable shoe as yet. I'll try the SPA Easy Spirit Shoe. I know I had a pair of sneakers made by Easy Spirit that lasted for two years and are still going strong--in fact those are the only shoes I can seem to wear. Orthodics were made for me at $300.00 a pop so the intersole needs to come out of the shoe for me to be able to wear them. Does SPA have removeable intersoles? I have Fibromyalgia and been just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and Fibroma. Between the two nothing is comfortable. Got a new Doc/ He's telling to ice my feet 4 times a day -put me on Celebrex for the inflamation and he's started me on shots next week. I also have developed Fibroma in my hands. Any one out there have the same problems I do. I would appreciate some feedback. It's bad enough to suffer from FMS and Chronic Fatique --now I can hardly walk. Help , please. Thank you Pam

Re: SPA by Easy Spirit, FM and newbie stuff

Kim B. on 10/29/00 at 00:36 (031550)

Hi Pam,

The SPA shoe doesn't seem to have a foot bed that is designed to be removed for the purpose of slipping another kind in. With a little effort you could get it out, but, then, if the insert didn't hit in the 'right' spots, I think the SPA inner footbed would be ruined.

These may just be a good shoes for folks to know about and consider for short periods of wear. I doubt they would be the thing for a severly chronic case at the peak of it's pain. I mainly mentioned it because, all and all, it's a nice looking shoe with black slacks or jeans. For those who have to walk around in an office environment alot, they may be just the ticket on certian days. We PFers always seem to get stuck with the ugliest of shoes. These are a little different in that respect.

When my foot pain was at it's worse, I had good results with 'SAS Freetime Walking shoes' which has a removeable foot bed and are deep enough for even custom orthotics. Check your yellow pages, and do a word search here on 'SAS' to learn more. Nurses wear them alot to help with their achey feet. For a while I used them with 'SofSole' otc inserts.

Personally, I got more progress with the soft but supportive kinds of shoes and footbed inserts, while others here get good results with harder shoes and inserts like the Birkenstocks for example. It is a very individualized thing. You'll have to try several to know which are best for you. Unfortuantly, on a bad day, your feet will get aggrevated just from trying on shoes and inserts. Then the waters get even more muddy. Finding the right products can be a slow and expensive process. Look for gaurantees, and save all reciepts 'till you are sure you are going to keep them. Some products can be returned if they are not really worn but just tried out a little.

I too have Fibromyalgia (FM). It is surely the pits of hell at times, and so is PF. In my heart of hearts, I feel the FM and PF are connected in some way. It may be just a huge coincidence that I deal with both. I used to have endometriosis too, before a hysterectomy last summer ridded me of that curse. It just seems every muscle and organ in my body is overly inflammed or severly cramping at one time or another. I also have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and a whole laundry list of things that go wrong if I don't take good care of myself. I've managed so far, but only by the grace of God, who saddled me with a very decent and supportive husband. He gets a little put out with all of it at times, and I lean on him alot to help with our son. But so far, he's stuck by me. I hope to get well enough to be there for him if he ever needs me to.

What is Fibroma? Is it different from FM or Fibrositis? Or, is it more akin to carpal tunnel? I've never heard of it before.

Your doc is right, ice is good and helps relieve pain. I also use it in some of my FM spots, (neck, shoulders, back, etc...) too when needed. Just don't over do the icing.

Do a word search here at the site on things that are of interest to you to learn more about what other posters have already posted. 'Icing' or 'Ice packs' is a good topic to start with. It is important to do it correctly, (i.e. 10-15 min. on, and a min. of 20 min.) to get the best results and not cause a REVERSAL of benefits.

'Gel ice packs' work best for me, and I've found that having at least two in the freezer is good, 'cause there is always one chilled when I need it the most. They run about $6.00 each and can be found over by the bandaids and first aid at grocery and drug stores. I also have a wide mouth, refillable ice pack that turned out to be just the thing for being away from home ($11).

Celebrex is good too. However, if you have IBS or other tummy problems that are bothered by the Celebrex, I can highly recommend 'Vioxx' be the next anti-imflammatory you try (Like Celebrex, new and expensive, btw). The Vioxx tablets are small and, as one of my docs explained to me, they don't sit there and irritate the lining of your tummy like many meds will do to persons with a history of tummy toubles. Thankfully, I don't have to use them everyday anymore. When my PF was at it's worse, NO anti-inflammatories seem to help the pain, but when I retried the Vioxx later down the road, they gave me a lot of benefit.

Hang around, read Scott's PF book at the front of thie site. Use the word search feature to learn more about the best ideas to try to manage your foot pain. Do a seach on 'newbies' too. Check out 'shower shoes', which can also be of help, especially when the PF is at it's worse. I still use them (cheap flip flops I got from WalMart for $6.00).

PF is tough, I'm not going to sugar-coat it. Just give yourself time to learn and accept the situation and try to keep moving forward, one day at a time. Post when you have questions or want to add to or answer someone elses. We will help you out in anyway we can.

BTW, when you see a product or shoe that is of interest to you, do a search here and get honest opinions to determine if it may be a good product for you to try. Even though Scott (the Site Master) showcases some products at the front of this site, we are all free to speak our honest opinions here, as long as we aren't rude. We try to have a little fun along the way, and sometimes we misbehave a little and Scott has to put us back in line. Mainly we try to help each other though a very difficult illness. BTW, do a word search on 'depression' to learn more about how really devistating this illness can be, aside from the just the pain of it. You will probably relate to what others have posted too. One last thing, the right anti-depressants in the right dose are also helpful for many, including me.

Hoping you feel better soon,

Kim B.