Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh the anticipation/Cortisone shot Wed/What about PT post shot?

Posted by Beverly on 10/27/00 at 19:57 (031484)

I have had an absolutely miserable week! My one bright thought is next week's cortisone shot. Disapointments mount up:

1. Another shoe bites the dust. The Dansko clog is just too big. But a size down will be too small. I guess I should be happy that I have a pair of Dansko sandals that do well. But gee, I keep hoping to find a winter shoe other than my athletic shoes. In anticpation of the brief period of 'real winter' we get in Texas, I bought a pair of Polar Fleece socks for my Birk Arizona's.

2. My right foot that has been doing better for a couple of months is now relapsing. I suspect the nasty tendonitis is to blame. Left foot bad as ever.

3. Those Powerstep inserts I raved about last week turned out to be great for heel support but irriated my left arch. Back to the Spenco's.

4. Rest, rest, and more rest seems to help the tendonitis but as soon as I do the least little errand I'm back to feeling like I'm carrying the weight a Two Ton Tessie on my ankles rather than my only slightly overweight self.

5. I hope this cortisone shot gives me some relief. I am worried that it won't reach both my feet and ankles. But most of all, I want the tendonitis to resolve so my feet can go back to healing. If I even feel better for a few weeks it would be encouraging.

6. I am just in a lousy mood. The women in my family live to 101. I hope I don't have another 61 years of such misery!

7. Never having had good circulation and with it seeming even worse since the tendonitis, I am afraid to try the nightsplint until I visit my internist and have him look at my ankles and the concept of the splint.

I'm getting PT both Monday and Tuesday. The shot is on Wednesday. My current PT routine is: ultrasound, electric stem with heat ( just added) and then deep tissue massage, plus my nonweight bearing stretches. Normally, I have a PT session on Friday. But I don't know if that would potentially mess up the shot before it's had time to completely settle into my system or if PT post-shot would be the best thing I could do. I'm especially ambivlent about massage after the shot.

I think I've held out these eight months and not tried the cortisone partly out of fear of the shot but also because it is my last great hope -other than time, EWST, and a miracle. I guess it's a good thing I've always married and dated 'up' a good 10-20 years. I don't think I could keep up with someone my own age. At the moment since I am 'dateless' this a mute point.

If I sound whiney it is because I am.
Beverly

Re: Oh the anticipation/Cortisone shot Wed/What about PT post shot?

Nancy S. on 10/28/00 at 04:10 (031497)

Beverly, can you get your doctor (the one giving you the shot) on the phone and ask him about PT post-shot, and also whether there's any chance it will help your post. tib. tendonitis? I think I would want to know these things beforehand, too, but I don't know the answers.
Tendonitis on top of PF IS nasty, isn't it? Very hard to shake. Every website I've read about it emphasizes the rest part, and my doc continues to assure me that it takes a long time, no matter what else you're doing to help it or to keep your feet in shape in spite of it. (And he does believe in PT and the home regimen as well as rest for it.)
I do hope the shot gives you some relief. I'll be riding to Michigan the day you have it, so I'm giving you my hope and good wishes now.
101 years old! More than one has lived that long? Wow. I'm not sure I'd want that either! But Beverly, if you do, I feel sure all those years won't be like this year. It's funny you wrote about this last night, because my husband was looking something up in the almanac about the year 2025 to come, and I said matter-of-factly, 'I don't think I'm going to make it that long.' He said, 'What? Your life expectancy is longer than that.' I said, 'Yeah, but I feel like I'm on the way out NOW.' He smiled and said, 'You're just having a rotten year. They won't all be like this.' It seemed so true and simple when he said it -- I suspect he's right. And for you too.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/28/00 at 13:24 (031523)

Beverly, I don't have any advice for you...I never had the cortisone shot (remember my problem is more with the nerve). But, I wanted to tell you that I think it's good you come here to 'whine' and feel a bit sorry for yourself. Sometimes we all have to do that - and at least here you will find a lot of empathy (not so much in the 'real world'). I hope today is better for you, and that your cortisone shot gives you some much needed relief.

Laurie R on 10/28/00 at 16:54 (031538)

HI Beverly,
I am hoping that your shot helps you. Remenber you will know unless you try it. I remenber I kept saying I don't want a shot in my foot. Now I have had about 7 I think . 3 were cortisone and the other 4 were just to numb my foot. I can honestly say out of 7 only one hurt. And the one that hurt was due to he had to give it to me on the side of my arch. I remenber the first one ,I was so scared and it was so fast I asked my Pod your done ? I didn't even feel it at all. I was getting them in my ankle . I couldn't believe it no pain. The only bad thing for me ,the cortisone did not help at all. But I will say I am so glad I tried .

You will do just fine and it might take some of your pain away. Hang in there Beverly ,I will be thinking about you . My very best to you. Laurie R

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 21:54 (031547)

Dear Nancy, Wendy, and Laurie,

Thank you for your thoughtful posts.

Boy, I was definitely feeling low. Now, that I am less 'blue,' I will admitt that Friday I was in one of those, 'Gosh, why can't I just get a fatal disease and drop dead' moods.

But I am feeling more 'up' today. I'm trying to remind myself that the cortisone shot will probably at least make me feel better temporarily, and who know, it might last for months.

Plus, I have reminded myself that EWST is always out there as a future possibility, and after reading the PF survey results over on the EWST page that Scott compiled, I was reminded what a high percentage of PF women are overweight. Most people to look at me would say I am 'average.' But given that for years I wore an 8-10 and gradually over the years I have crept up to a 14, and in jeans, yikes, a 16, to me that is overweight. I have lost a little weight, and I am trying to loose more. So, I keep reminding myself that weight loss might help. My jeans are feeling baggy.

And in PT, we just started the electric stem. My PT is a wonderful guy and gives an excellent massage to my feet and PTT of ankles.
He has so much patience with me... teases me that I'm 'high maintenance, buy hey, that's the truth! And I know I am so lucky and blessed that I have no PT limits on insurance.

And since Richard gave me the websites to those extra depth shoes, it gives me hope that I just might be able to tolerate custom orthodics in the future. But having a hard to fit foot, I think I would need to wait until I can get to a large city with a store that carries those kind of shoes.

I do wish I could find a winter shoe, any shoe, that is an alternative to my athletic shoes, but so far, I've had to return everything back to the store. Of course, down here in the South, I have nothing to complain about. I can't even imagine how Wendy manages to survive Canadian winters in Birk Arizona's.

Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 10/28/00 at 22:02 (031548)

In response to your shoe comment and how I survive Canadian winters in Birks. It is no easy 'feat'. They are slippery on snow and ice and walking through deep snow is a bit ridiculous. I do always bring extra socks. I park close to doors, and I walk in tire tracks in the snow so I don't have so much on my feet. Thankfully - we did not have a lot of snow last year and very little so far this year. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do this winter. I guess I'll deal with it as it happens.

Re: Fall & Winter 2000 Birk Catalog

Barbara TX on 10/29/00 at 11:20 (031562)

I am just looking at this cool catalog - beautiful Birk shoes for fall - T-straps, Mary Janes - you name it. I got it from a TX disributor, but they have a 1-800 number: 1-877-441-4144. A very pretty catalog. B.

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 13:55 (031582)

One of the joys of moving back to a large city will be a Birks store.
I just can't 'guess' through the mail. I've tried and failed.

Beverly

john h on 10/30/00 at 09:55 (031630)

bev: one thing for sure is that 'tendonitis' is very much curable. you just have to get the correct PT and protocol. the shot to me was not very painful and is over in a couple of seconds. request he give it to you from the side if possible. also probe around and try to find 'the painful spot' yourself as hitting the correct area is important in injecting the cortisone. the doctor will stretch your fascia out and probe around himself but if you can point to it you will help him and yourself. remember to take the very very deep breath and exhale as you are receiving the shot. this does help! when i had tendonitis i had a lump on by achilles tendo half the size of a golf ball and i could barely walk. with vigorus PT (massage,heat,ice,stretching) i was cured in about a month.

Nancy S. on 10/28/00 at 04:10 (031497)

Beverly, can you get your doctor (the one giving you the shot) on the phone and ask him about PT post-shot, and also whether there's any chance it will help your post. tib. tendonitis? I think I would want to know these things beforehand, too, but I don't know the answers.
Tendonitis on top of PF IS nasty, isn't it? Very hard to shake. Every website I've read about it emphasizes the rest part, and my doc continues to assure me that it takes a long time, no matter what else you're doing to help it or to keep your feet in shape in spite of it. (And he does believe in PT and the home regimen as well as rest for it.)
I do hope the shot gives you some relief. I'll be riding to Michigan the day you have it, so I'm giving you my hope and good wishes now.
101 years old! More than one has lived that long? Wow. I'm not sure I'd want that either! But Beverly, if you do, I feel sure all those years won't be like this year. It's funny you wrote about this last night, because my husband was looking something up in the almanac about the year 2025 to come, and I said matter-of-factly, 'I don't think I'm going to make it that long.' He said, 'What? Your life expectancy is longer than that.' I said, 'Yeah, but I feel like I'm on the way out NOW.' He smiled and said, 'You're just having a rotten year. They won't all be like this.' It seemed so true and simple when he said it -- I suspect he's right. And for you too.
Nancy

wendyn on 10/28/00 at 13:24 (031523)

Beverly, I don't have any advice for you...I never had the cortisone shot (remember my problem is more with the nerve). But, I wanted to tell you that I think it's good you come here to 'whine' and feel a bit sorry for yourself. Sometimes we all have to do that - and at least here you will find a lot of empathy (not so much in the 'real world'). I hope today is better for you, and that your cortisone shot gives you some much needed relief.

Laurie R on 10/28/00 at 16:54 (031538)

HI Beverly,
I am hoping that your shot helps you. Remenber you will know unless you try it. I remenber I kept saying I don't want a shot in my foot. Now I have had about 7 I think . 3 were cortisone and the other 4 were just to numb my foot. I can honestly say out of 7 only one hurt. And the one that hurt was due to he had to give it to me on the side of my arch. I remenber the first one ,I was so scared and it was so fast I asked my Pod your done ? I didn't even feel it at all. I was getting them in my ankle . I couldn't believe it no pain. The only bad thing for me ,the cortisone did not help at all. But I will say I am so glad I tried .

You will do just fine and it might take some of your pain away. Hang in there Beverly ,I will be thinking about you . My very best to you. Laurie R

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 21:54 (031547)

Dear Nancy, Wendy, and Laurie,

Thank you for your thoughtful posts.

Boy, I was definitely feeling low. Now, that I am less 'blue,' I will admitt that Friday I was in one of those, 'Gosh, why can't I just get a fatal disease and drop dead' moods.

But I am feeling more 'up' today. I'm trying to remind myself that the cortisone shot will probably at least make me feel better temporarily, and who know, it might last for months.

Plus, I have reminded myself that EWST is always out there as a future possibility, and after reading the PF survey results over on the EWST page that Scott compiled, I was reminded what a high percentage of PF women are overweight. Most people to look at me would say I am 'average.' But given that for years I wore an 8-10 and gradually over the years I have crept up to a 14, and in jeans, yikes, a 16, to me that is overweight. I have lost a little weight, and I am trying to loose more. So, I keep reminding myself that weight loss might help. My jeans are feeling baggy.

And in PT, we just started the electric stem. My PT is a wonderful guy and gives an excellent massage to my feet and PTT of ankles.
He has so much patience with me... teases me that I'm 'high maintenance, buy hey, that's the truth! And I know I am so lucky and blessed that I have no PT limits on insurance.

And since Richard gave me the websites to those extra depth shoes, it gives me hope that I just might be able to tolerate custom orthodics in the future. But having a hard to fit foot, I think I would need to wait until I can get to a large city with a store that carries those kind of shoes.

I do wish I could find a winter shoe, any shoe, that is an alternative to my athletic shoes, but so far, I've had to return everything back to the store. Of course, down here in the South, I have nothing to complain about. I can't even imagine how Wendy manages to survive Canadian winters in Birk Arizona's.

Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 10/28/00 at 22:02 (031548)

In response to your shoe comment and how I survive Canadian winters in Birks. It is no easy 'feat'. They are slippery on snow and ice and walking through deep snow is a bit ridiculous. I do always bring extra socks. I park close to doors, and I walk in tire tracks in the snow so I don't have so much on my feet. Thankfully - we did not have a lot of snow last year and very little so far this year. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do this winter. I guess I'll deal with it as it happens.

Barbara TX on 10/29/00 at 11:20 (031562)

I am just looking at this cool catalog - beautiful Birk shoes for fall - T-straps, Mary Janes - you name it. I got it from a TX disributor, but they have a 1-800 number: 1-877-441-4144. A very pretty catalog. B.

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 13:55 (031582)

One of the joys of moving back to a large city will be a Birks store.
I just can't 'guess' through the mail. I've tried and failed.

Beverly

john h on 10/30/00 at 09:55 (031630)

bev: one thing for sure is that 'tendonitis' is very much curable. you just have to get the correct PT and protocol. the shot to me was not very painful and is over in a couple of seconds. request he give it to you from the side if possible. also probe around and try to find 'the painful spot' yourself as hitting the correct area is important in injecting the cortisone. the doctor will stretch your fascia out and probe around himself but if you can point to it you will help him and yourself. remember to take the very very deep breath and exhale as you are receiving the shot. this does help! when i had tendonitis i had a lump on by achilles tendo half the size of a golf ball and i could barely walk. with vigorus PT (massage,heat,ice,stretching) i was cured in about a month.