Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shower Seats may be of help to some folks

Posted by Kim B. on 10/27/00 at 23:12 (031492)

I have a built-in seat in my shower. Which is GREAT! (I still use shower shoes, anyway, btw). However, our previous house did not have one built in, so I had bought one from Service Mechandise store. They are also available at Apothcary Pharmacies, Target, Walmart and lots of places like that too, I think. I can't remember the exact cost, somewhere around $29-39 I believe. At the other house, I was using it to help with the FM pain of standing, but I just realized that I have always been able to use the built in one at this house and during my PF battles. So, for some, it may be of some benifit to consider buying one, especially for the worst cases of PF.

No, it won't make you too lazy to take a shower, it will make you glad to have it. Though, I must admit, They ugly up the shower area a little and I never wanted my friends to notice that I needed it at such a young age. But that's another story. Good Luck.

Kim B.

Re: Shower Seats may be of help to some folks

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 09:02 (031502)

I just recently bought a shower seat. I got a 'deluxe' one from a medical supply store for 39.00. The seat is very comfortable, contoured for a comfy fit and has little holes in it so the seat does not mildew.
It is ugly and everytime I see it, it is a reminder of just how bad off I am. But I am sure it will be good for me.

Good idea, Kim,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/28/00 at 09:25 (031504)

Kim - How are they built into the shower? Do you have to drill anything into the wall? B

Kim B. on 10/28/00 at 10:20 (031508)

Barb,

What I mean is that our current house came with one built-in by the builder. (The house is only about 3 years old, btw.) Since it's built-in, I have taken it for granted. However, at our previous home, there was not a built-in one, so I had bought the portable kind to put it in the shower.

I bet you've seem them a hundred times. They are white and (no rust) alumminum and typically used for the elderly and/or persons with standing problems. They are nice to have just to sit and shave your legs. (Hello, Wendyn? :-) They are nice to sit on and just relax under a warm shower too.

Side note to Beverly. Mine still got a little grundy after a long while, even though they have the holes to let water through. So, I used to take mine out in the back yard and spray it down with Tilex or something, and give it a good hosing off every once in a while. One could probably Tilex it down in the shower too, just be sure you get it rinsed off well. Don't want to sit in Tilex residue.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Poor man's alternative

Steve P on 10/28/00 at 17:10 (031539)

In my shower stall I use one of those super-cheap plastic chairs, the type that costs about $8 to $10 at a discount store. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

Beverly on 10/28/00 at 09:02 (031502)

I just recently bought a shower seat. I got a 'deluxe' one from a medical supply store for 39.00. The seat is very comfortable, contoured for a comfy fit and has little holes in it so the seat does not mildew.
It is ugly and everytime I see it, it is a reminder of just how bad off I am. But I am sure it will be good for me.

Good idea, Kim,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 10/28/00 at 09:25 (031504)

Kim - How are they built into the shower? Do you have to drill anything into the wall? B

Kim B. on 10/28/00 at 10:20 (031508)

Barb,

What I mean is that our current house came with one built-in by the builder. (The house is only about 3 years old, btw.) Since it's built-in, I have taken it for granted. However, at our previous home, there was not a built-in one, so I had bought the portable kind to put it in the shower.

I bet you've seem them a hundred times. They are white and (no rust) alumminum and typically used for the elderly and/or persons with standing problems. They are nice to have just to sit and shave your legs. (Hello, Wendyn? :-) They are nice to sit on and just relax under a warm shower too.

Side note to Beverly. Mine still got a little grundy after a long while, even though they have the holes to let water through. So, I used to take mine out in the back yard and spray it down with Tilex or something, and give it a good hosing off every once in a while. One could probably Tilex it down in the shower too, just be sure you get it rinsed off well. Don't want to sit in Tilex residue.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Poor man's alternative

Steve P on 10/28/00 at 17:10 (031539)

In my shower stall I use one of those super-cheap plastic chairs, the type that costs about $8 to $10 at a discount store. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.