Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot pain and small kids - better an obnoxious teenager than a 40 pound 2 year old

Posted by wendyn on 10/28/00 at 22:38 (031549)

How on earth do those of you with small children manage with sore feet!!?!?!?!?!?!

When we were in Indianapolis, we were with my cousin who has 3 kids (5, 3, and 1). It was EXHAUSTING. They are great kids - but man, I'd forgotten how much you don't ever sit down when kids are this age. Mine are 17, 15 and 7. They can get on my nerves, but it's different...I can say 'Go to your room.' or 'Get off the phone.' or 'You're grounded!' just fine from the comfort of my couch.

Today, I was helping my mom watch my almost 3 year old nephew and his 1 year old sister. The 'Terrible Two' is almost as wide as he is tall and he is most certainly VERY TWO. At one point he took off on me in the park and I had to chase him and pick the little tub-of-lard up (the alternative would have been to sit on him). We had a very serious eye to eye chat whereupon I most plainly advised him that I wasn't impressed about having to run after him, and I warned of the most dire consequences should he choose to try it again. He later tried to take off on me while he was buck-naked after the bath. Being a seasoned parent, I had anticipated the famous streak-through-the-house-naked-as-an-egg-as-some-crazed-woman-chases-after-me and I had my foot firmly planted against the door while I patiently waited for him to give up trying to yank the door open, and come and put his clothes on.

My 1 year old niece had a bad cold and she was absolutely miserable. I was walking the floors and rocking her most of the evening. Even the motion of rocking her back and forth in the rocking chair was hard on my ankles. Finally - I just got her to doze off in my arms when I noticed an odor something akin to Rotten Emu. Sure 'nuff - a diaper change, a screaming baby, and I was back to square one.

I finally got her to sleep, and my 7 year old and I bolted for the door and our freedom. My tingling ankles,aching feet, burning calves, and I are so grateful that I don't have to do this every day. I don't think I'd survive.

Anyway - to those of you with small children tonight...my heart goes out to you.....

Re: You are right Wendyn, thanks for the pat on the back.

Kim B. on 10/29/00 at 01:26 (031554)

Your story made me laugh. You're so expressive.

It is tough with the little kids. They can't even pour a glass of orange juice for themselves. If you let them try on their own, they make a collosal mess, which you end up having to clean up anyway, so when they want something to drink or etc.. You really have no choice but to get up and do it for them. Yep, messes and tantrums are good motivators for us.

At 4, my lil' boy is just now starting to understand, 'Mommy is icing her feet right now, I'll get it for you in a few minutes.' When he was young and completely clueless, it was much harder for both of us to deal with the situation. Now he's starting to understand more and that helps. Unfortuanely, we haven't been able to do faigrounds and a lot of fun things like that. I was the party pooper at Putt Putt in Hot Springs last summmer. What the hell was I thinking? I shouldn't have even tried it.

I'm ashammed to admit it but my poor son has seem me at my worst more times than I care to look back on. He's probably scarred for life. We are saving up for his college, or defense attorney, or the home for way-ward boys, which ever he needs first.

Hopefully things will pan out in the long run. Do keep the PFers with little kids in your prayers, we need all the help we can get.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Foot pain and small kids - better an obnoxious teenager than a 40 pound 2 year old

Barbara TX on 10/29/00 at 11:23 (031565)

Amen, and thank you a thousand times over. You don't know how much I miss being the mom I used to be. B.

Re: I don't know how you all do it!

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 13:53 (031581)

Gosh,

I don't know how feet injured mothers of young children get by. I have often thought about getting a small dog, like a cocker spaniel for company, but at the moment, I don't feel like chasing a pet through the house and getting the little darling trained. I can't imagine how you all cope with young children. You have my deepest respect.
Beverly

Re: To Bev, a pet suggestion to consider.

Lori E. on 10/29/00 at 18:08 (031593)

Beverly,
I say if you want a dog, go for it. It just takes a little research to find out what kind of dog is right for you. I would suggest if you want to avoid housetraining getting a dog that is 6 mo. or older. By that time they have the physical ability to hold it for the time you may be away from the house. You may even want to consider a dog that is a few years old. They are usually already housebroken and may even have a few tricks up their sleeves. I would also suggest that unless you have a fenced yard not to get too big of a dog or one that needs lots of exercise.
We got our dog at 7 mo. He had been given back to the shelter because he was too much responsibility. (Actually they improperly crated a Airedale mix dog, who has way way too much energy to be crated up all the time.) They also didn't take the time to house train him. He was up to speed on the rules of the house in about a month. It did help to use a baby gate for times we didn't want him roaming the apartment. (We use the baby gate now only if he is upset about our leaving and need to get out the door without a fuss.) Overall he is a joy to be around. Like most Airedales he always has to test the rules from time to time, but he is always coming up with new games to teach us.
Chihuahuas are great little dogs, but take the time to find out the correct kind of dog for you. There are a lot of good books out there to help you find the dog that is best for you. Make sure that whatever dog you choose you get it from a reputable breeder or talk to the staff at your local pound or humane society.
A dog around the house is a great comfort when you don't get out much. It is nice to have someone there with you who is content to just hang out, or break up your day a bit with a game of fetch.(Great for us with PF because we don't have to get up to play.)A dog is a great spirit brightener when other things are not going your way.

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 21:22 (031602)

A dog is something I'll daydream about for awhile. Not quite ready to take the plunge, but I do know which breed I like best. I had a cocker spaniel who was adorable. Dumb, couldn't even figure out how to chase a ball, but she sure was cute. I liked putting bows in her hair. And she was beautifully house broken. She actually belonged to my ex. I guess she was my 'step-dog,' but I got very attached.

As a kid, I had a beagle. To this day, I go to mush over a beagle. Beagles need a yard and would not make a good apartment dog.

Kim, your doggie sounds cute. I'd be afraid to get something that tiny for fear I'd step on her.

And Lori, you are right about matching a dog to your personality. I'll have to keep my eye out for books on that. I love the idea of getting already housebroken. But isn't it like adopting an older child in a way, you don't know what kind of trauma has forever altered their personality.

Anyway, I melt a bit whenever I see a cocker or a beagle.
See ya,
Beverly

Re: You are right Wendyn, thanks for the pat on the back.

Kim B. on 10/29/00 at 01:26 (031554)

Your story made me laugh. You're so expressive.

It is tough with the little kids. They can't even pour a glass of orange juice for themselves. If you let them try on their own, they make a collosal mess, which you end up having to clean up anyway, so when they want something to drink or etc.. You really have no choice but to get up and do it for them. Yep, messes and tantrums are good motivators for us.

At 4, my lil' boy is just now starting to understand, 'Mommy is icing her feet right now, I'll get it for you in a few minutes.' When he was young and completely clueless, it was much harder for both of us to deal with the situation. Now he's starting to understand more and that helps. Unfortuanely, we haven't been able to do faigrounds and a lot of fun things like that. I was the party pooper at Putt Putt in Hot Springs last summmer. What the hell was I thinking? I shouldn't have even tried it.

I'm ashammed to admit it but my poor son has seem me at my worst more times than I care to look back on. He's probably scarred for life. We are saving up for his college, or defense attorney, or the home for way-ward boys, which ever he needs first.

Hopefully things will pan out in the long run. Do keep the PFers with little kids in your prayers, we need all the help we can get.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Foot pain and small kids - better an obnoxious teenager than a 40 pound 2 year old

Barbara TX on 10/29/00 at 11:23 (031565)

Amen, and thank you a thousand times over. You don't know how much I miss being the mom I used to be. B.

Re: I don't know how you all do it!

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 13:53 (031581)

Gosh,

I don't know how feet injured mothers of young children get by. I have often thought about getting a small dog, like a cocker spaniel for company, but at the moment, I don't feel like chasing a pet through the house and getting the little darling trained. I can't imagine how you all cope with young children. You have my deepest respect.
Beverly

Lori E. on 10/29/00 at 18:08 (031593)

Beverly,
I say if you want a dog, go for it. It just takes a little research to find out what kind of dog is right for you. I would suggest if you want to avoid housetraining getting a dog that is 6 mo. or older. By that time they have the physical ability to hold it for the time you may be away from the house. You may even want to consider a dog that is a few years old. They are usually already housebroken and may even have a few tricks up their sleeves. I would also suggest that unless you have a fenced yard not to get too big of a dog or one that needs lots of exercise.
We got our dog at 7 mo. He had been given back to the shelter because he was too much responsibility. (Actually they improperly crated a Airedale mix dog, who has way way too much energy to be crated up all the time.) They also didn't take the time to house train him. He was up to speed on the rules of the house in about a month. It did help to use a baby gate for times we didn't want him roaming the apartment. (We use the baby gate now only if he is upset about our leaving and need to get out the door without a fuss.) Overall he is a joy to be around. Like most Airedales he always has to test the rules from time to time, but he is always coming up with new games to teach us.
Chihuahuas are great little dogs, but take the time to find out the correct kind of dog for you. There are a lot of good books out there to help you find the dog that is best for you. Make sure that whatever dog you choose you get it from a reputable breeder or talk to the staff at your local pound or humane society.
A dog around the house is a great comfort when you don't get out much. It is nice to have someone there with you who is content to just hang out, or break up your day a bit with a game of fetch.(Great for us with PF because we don't have to get up to play.)A dog is a great spirit brightener when other things are not going your way.

Beverly on 10/29/00 at 21:22 (031602)

A dog is something I'll daydream about for awhile. Not quite ready to take the plunge, but I do know which breed I like best. I had a cocker spaniel who was adorable. Dumb, couldn't even figure out how to chase a ball, but she sure was cute. I liked putting bows in her hair. And she was beautifully house broken. She actually belonged to my ex. I guess she was my 'step-dog,' but I got very attached.

As a kid, I had a beagle. To this day, I go to mush over a beagle. Beagles need a yard and would not make a good apartment dog.

Kim, your doggie sounds cute. I'd be afraid to get something that tiny for fear I'd step on her.

And Lori, you are right about matching a dog to your personality. I'll have to keep my eye out for books on that. I love the idea of getting already housebroken. But isn't it like adopting an older child in a way, you don't know what kind of trauma has forever altered their personality.

Anyway, I melt a bit whenever I see a cocker or a beagle.
See ya,
Beverly