Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could pain be related to blood clot?

Posted by Joopie on 10/29/00 at 23:00 (031607)

After a few weeks of little or no pain in my left foot, I am beginning to suffer again. I get pain when getting up from sitting very long, pain when I try to use the parking brake in my truck, and significant pain at night, all along the left/outside part of my foot. (Reminder - I had epf surgery in March 2000) I got this blood clot the end of last month, after a while of swollen ankles in the evening, and then extending to the whole lower leg. I am on blood thinners now (Coumadin), and they are still playing with the dose to be therapuetic. I wear a compression stocking on my leg foot/leg that is quite comfortable but the foot pain is there still. It helps alot with the swelling. If I don't wear it, I swell up from my toes to my knee by the end of the day.

My question: is there any relation of the pain between my foot and my blood clot? Is the blood clot preventing the foot from healing? Could this be the reason I continue to get pain in my foot? Just curious. Am open to any and all ideas...I'm so tired of the pain.

Thanks - Joopie

Re: Could pain be related to blood clot?

Bob G. on 10/29/00 at 23:42 (031609)

Hello Joopie,

I have a normal foot, but I had to rest it 10 months before I could begin recovery after pain.

Best wishes to you! BG

Dr. Biehler on 10/30/00 at 08:41 (031623)

Joopie, I do not think the pain in the foot is related to the blood clot. It takes a while to recover from the surgery. If you are getting pain when putting on the brake, make sure your shoes have a ridgid sole to absorb the pressure from the pedal. Dr. B.

Bob G. on 10/29/00 at 23:42 (031609)

Hello Joopie,

I have a normal foot, but I had to rest it 10 months before I could begin recovery after pain.

Best wishes to you! BG

Dr. Biehler on 10/30/00 at 08:41 (031623)

Joopie, I do not think the pain in the foot is related to the blood clot. It takes a while to recover from the surgery. If you are getting pain when putting on the brake, make sure your shoes have a ridgid sole to absorb the pressure from the pedal. Dr. B.