Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt great but why a lump?

Posted by Rina S on 10/30/00 at 21:44 (031666)

I do feel much better since undergoing ESWT the Thursday following Labor Day this year, however, what is this hard lumpy feeling I feel on the bottom inside of my foot that was treated? It is exactly at the site where the doctor hit with the orbasone. Also, when I rub my fingers over it, I get the strangest sensation. It doesn't really hurt, at least not the same pain as I had before the treatment, but it is an uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes it is sore when you walk on it, especially if I am not in my berkinstocks or my new balance with orthotics. It isn't the same feeling as I had prior to ESWT. Please share any insight you may have into what this hard lump might be and why it has such a funny feeling to it when touched. Thank you once again for your help.

Re: eswt great but why a lump?

DR. Zuckerman on 10/30/00 at 22:04 (031669)

Where did you have the ESWT orbasone done? What part of the foot did you have the procedure performed?

john h on 10/31/00 at 11:12 (031698)

i also have a small bump where the eswt was performed but i think it was there before eswt and may be releated to inflamation or perhaps even a calcium deposite.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/31/00 at 21:38 (031732)

If you look very carefully John that lump is really a Dr. Z tatoo. You can only have it removed in Woodbury , New Jersey

Re: To John H. eswt great but why a lump?

Pauline on 11/01/00 at 18:54 (031785)

John,\Can you give us a progress report\? How is the pain\?

john h on 11/02/00 at 09:53 (031812)

pauline: i am better than before eswt. i have had two treatments on both feet. my pain level has been at a level 2 for about 2 weeks now. i have not walked more than 2 miles at one time. it seems the shoes i wear have a lot to do with how my feet do. i have been wearing the airizona birks but winter is coming on so will have to try something else. i had surgery on one foot (open) in aug 99. i sense that foot may have been helped more by eswt than the other foot (i am still in the thinking stage on that, however). i would think anyone should try eswt before even considering surgery. i was unaware of the value of eswt prior to my surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/00 at 17:55 (031843)

I know of no value to have ESWT done before surgery. I do know that you can alway have surgery after ESWT and that you can have ESWT after failed heel spur surgery in there isn't a nerve entrapement problem

Rina S on 11/02/00 at 22:38 (031853)

I had ESWT done by Dr. Weil Senior in Des Plaines, Illinois. The treatment was targeted at the right heel, but more towards the inner part of the heel, just before it would start to curve up towards the ankle, but definitely under the heel. This is where most of my pain was prior to ESWT. Now I feel almost a bruising type of pain (when you touch or walk) on that side of my heel but not under my heel. When you touch the area it almost feels like a lump or hardness there and it is very tender. This feeling does not bother my walking in the same way that pf did. With pf, I had so much trouble walking for even short distances.....very painful. With this it hurts more to touch and if I happen to hit that particular spot when I walk, then it will hurt but it doesn't have the same feeling as with pf. With my pf, there was such a pulling pain when trying to walk as well as a pain shooting up the heel. What could this other tenderness and hard lumpy feeling be? Thank you for your expertise.
Sincerely, Rina

DR. Zuckerman on 10/30/00 at 22:04 (031669)

Where did you have the ESWT orbasone done? What part of the foot did you have the procedure performed?

john h on 10/31/00 at 11:12 (031698)

i also have a small bump where the eswt was performed but i think it was there before eswt and may be releated to inflamation or perhaps even a calcium deposite.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/31/00 at 21:38 (031732)

If you look very carefully John that lump is really a Dr. Z tatoo. You can only have it removed in Woodbury , New Jersey

Pauline on 11/01/00 at 18:54 (031785)

John,\Can you give us a progress report\? How is the pain\?

john h on 11/02/00 at 09:53 (031812)

pauline: i am better than before eswt. i have had two treatments on both feet. my pain level has been at a level 2 for about 2 weeks now. i have not walked more than 2 miles at one time. it seems the shoes i wear have a lot to do with how my feet do. i have been wearing the airizona birks but winter is coming on so will have to try something else. i had surgery on one foot (open) in aug 99. i sense that foot may have been helped more by eswt than the other foot (i am still in the thinking stage on that, however). i would think anyone should try eswt before even considering surgery. i was unaware of the value of eswt prior to my surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/00 at 17:55 (031843)

I know of no value to have ESWT done before surgery. I do know that you can alway have surgery after ESWT and that you can have ESWT after failed heel spur surgery in there isn't a nerve entrapement problem

Rina S on 11/02/00 at 22:38 (031853)

I had ESWT done by Dr. Weil Senior in Des Plaines, Illinois. The treatment was targeted at the right heel, but more towards the inner part of the heel, just before it would start to curve up towards the ankle, but definitely under the heel. This is where most of my pain was prior to ESWT. Now I feel almost a bruising type of pain (when you touch or walk) on that side of my heel but not under my heel. When you touch the area it almost feels like a lump or hardness there and it is very tender. This feeling does not bother my walking in the same way that pf did. With pf, I had so much trouble walking for even short distances.....very painful. With this it hurts more to touch and if I happen to hit that particular spot when I walk, then it will hurt but it doesn't have the same feeling as with pf. With my pf, there was such a pulling pain when trying to walk as well as a pain shooting up the heel. What could this other tenderness and hard lumpy feeling be? Thank you for your expertise.
Sincerely, Rina