Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 mo epf post-op visit...not good

Posted by T. Hurst on 10/31/00 at 20:37 (031724)

I was under the care of my pod who did my epf (bilateral) for the 1st month, then I moved. I just saw my new pod - very well respected and recommended. He told me my left fascia was released entirely, that he could feel no band. Hence, this is why I'm having lateral destabilization problems with my left & also some achilles pain. My right is doing better, but not perfect. He said at 6 weeks I should have been back to my normal activities. Well, it's 3 months, and I walk comfortably, but my feet tire easily (esp. lateral edges), and there is no way I can run. He prescribed 3 wks (6 trmts) of physical therapy followed by a return visit. I am so worried! Looks like my surgeon screwed up and cut too much fascia! What are my options here? Can it be reattached? Am I doomed? Will I ever run again? I thought things were going ok until this appt. Please advise!

Re: 3 mo epf post-op visit...not good

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/31/00 at 21:37 (031731)

It sure is better not to cut the entire fasica. Which is almost impossible to do even if you want to. In the late 1970's the goal was to cut as much as you could and most patients do well. The problem with the lateral heel pain was that it stays there for a very long time up to one year. I am telling you the truth you still have a very good chance of a cure just going to take alot of time maybe up to one year. I have cut some , more and the entire fascia during my years on war against pf. You can and will get better. I know the frustration of the lateral pain. I use to have to live with patients complainting up to one year . I would even tell them it could take six months to one year of pain and would point to the cuboid base of the 5th metatarsal. I have patients post twenty years that had much more pf cut then you did. I would cut that much again but you do survive.

You can always talk to me and this board. So don't worry unless Dr. Z
starts to worry. Three months isn't very long in for the healing of pf release. So T Hurst don't worry. I know it's still your foot but still don't worry. It is very hard for someone to release too much. The problem with too much release is that it causes too much time for healing. There are cases where it can cause permenant pain but yours isn't going to be one. How do I know. I know from reading your post and your activity levels that you are talking about.

Re: 3 mo epf post-op visit...not good

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/31/00 at 21:37 (031731)

It sure is better not to cut the entire fasica. Which is almost impossible to do even if you want to. In the late 1970's the goal was to cut as much as you could and most patients do well. The problem with the lateral heel pain was that it stays there for a very long time up to one year. I am telling you the truth you still have a very good chance of a cure just going to take alot of time maybe up to one year. I have cut some , more and the entire fascia during my years on war against pf. You can and will get better. I know the frustration of the lateral pain. I use to have to live with patients complainting up to one year . I would even tell them it could take six months to one year of pain and would point to the cuboid base of the 5th metatarsal. I have patients post twenty years that had much more pf cut then you did. I would cut that much again but you do survive.

You can always talk to me and this board. So don't worry unless Dr. Z
starts to worry. Three months isn't very long in for the healing of pf release. So T Hurst don't worry. I know it's still your foot but still don't worry. It is very hard for someone to release too much. The problem with too much release is that it causes too much time for healing. There are cases where it can cause permenant pain but yours isn't going to be one. How do I know. I know from reading your post and your activity levels that you are talking about.