Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis Database

Posted by Scott R on 10/31/00 at 20:52 (031725)

I've been spending literally days getting the database search and display program adjusted for statistical analysis. For those interested in the statistical difference between sub-sets of sufferers...

http://heelspurs.com/database/

One interesting new finding: 25% of the men said it was caused by running verses 7% for the women. Men are also much less likely to say it hurts when sitting. Those who have had injections are less likely to say it hurts to the touch, and are much less likely to say stretching, inserts, or massage helps. Those who say it hurts to the touch are more likely to say there's inflammation.

Amazingly, there was no substantial difference between those who had flat feet and those with a high arch.

As a check on the statistics, those who said it hurt worse in the left foot showed absolutely no difference from those who indicated the right foot. If it's in both feet, you're more likely to have flat feet (it's long story as to why flat feet verses high arch did not show it was more likely in both feet forflat foot, but basically it's because there were other categories besides flat feet and high arch).

Those with visible inflammation verses those with no inflammation, were more likely to find stretching beneficial, ice less beneficial, their job did not require standing and walking, arch was more normal, less likely to be in both feet, more likely to be male, pain generally less, pain was less likely to be throbbing, less likely to have had shot. In other words, the visible inflammation verses no inflammation groups had many categories that were different, but the differences were also large.

Male verses female also showed a great number of differences (but less dramatic in the degree of differenceswhich is why I only mentioned running), including stuff like women were more likely to be nurses or k-12 teachers, believe it or not...

I mean, this stuff can go on and on. It's such a great program (to me anyway) and we've got so much data. Just think of two different groups and they can be compared.

Re: oops got inflammation groups backwards

Scott R on 10/31/00 at 20:54 (031726)

Re: oops got inflammation groups backwards

Scott R on 10/31/00 at 20:54 (031726)