Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I had my surgery on 9/18 - I feel much better but...

Posted by Lisa on 11/01/00 at 11:09 (031761)

How long does it takes for the surgery 'itself' to heal? I feel this soreness (different from the fasciitis) that I asume is the surgery. Its been like six weeks now. Should I still be sore?

Re: I had my surgery on 9/18 - I feel much better but...

Jen H on 11/01/00 at 15:45 (031771)

Lisa, I don't have the answer for you but I was wondering how long you had to take off work after the surgery and how long before you could drive? I have a desk job but if I require surgery it will be on the right foot and I am worried about getting to work after the first week or so. How long were you on crutches?

Re: endoscopy plantar fasciotomy

Maria on 11/01/00 at 19:59 (031790)

althought that I see that the dates on old on this message board I need someone to email me about recent endoscopic plantar faciotomy. I\will have the surgery at the end of the month. Please help!

Dr. Peter A. Wishnie on 11/01/00 at 20:38 (031792)

Dear Maria,\ \As a podiatric surgeon for 11 years and as the first podiatrist to perform epf in Central New Jersey, I would recommend a non-surgical approach first. My epf outcomes have been wonderful. Most people will heal within six weeks but I do have some patients that took 4-6 months to get better. Using the ESWT, which is an non-invasive, non-surgical approach, is something I would recommend that you would look into. Just e-mail me for some great information which would include a video or call me at 1-732-968-3833.\I am all ears and would like to help.\\Take care and stay well.\\Dr. Wishnie

Diana B on 11/02/00 at 06:42 (031804)

to Jen H I had my first epf surgery in Feb. on my right foot. I work on my feet in a supermarket.I was back to work in 4 weeks.4 days after my surgery my son was hospitalized, and I was able to put a shoe on and navigate through the hospital.I am now not working due to my second surgery{open kind} on 9/19/00 the walking boot comes off tuesday and I start wearing my sneaker with orthotics. Already in pt just starting strengthening exercises. Hope to be back to work before Christmas.The first one I was able to walk and drive within a week Hope this info helps.Diana

Lisa on 11/02/00 at 11:01 (031820)

No crutches, Jen. My doctor asked that I start weight bearing right away. I was standing the following day, taking a few steps the third day and drove myself to the doctors office on the fouth day after surgery. I took off a only a week from work.

Jen H on 11/02/00 at 20:30 (031848)

Thanks Lisa, I am considering starting a new job but was worried about asking for too much time off within the first few months. I don't think a week would be too much. This position is also a desk job, so there isn't any problem with me standing too much

rosemary on 11/05/00 at 22:59 (032036)

Message Number 32037
Re: fascia surgery for JEN H View Thread
Posted by rosemary on 11/05/00 at 23:09

Message Number 32038
Re: "Pump Bump" Surgery View Thread
Posted by Bruce on 11/05/00 at 23:11

Message Number 32039
Re: Winter View Thread
Posted by JudyS on 11/05/00 at 23:13

Dr. Z - you left out the cat in the lap

Shari on 11/07/00 at 16:01 (032185)

Message Number 32186
Flat feet and shoes View Thread
Posted by Maggie G on 11/07/00 at 16:41

I have flat feet and according to my Doctor my arch collapses completely. I had surgery 5 months ago but he says I still need orthodicts to supply support. He had some very thin orthodicts made for me that are suppose to fit a dress shoe, but my foot keeps sliding out of the shoe. My problem is compounded because I have a very wide foot in the toe area and a very narrow heel. I teach so I am on my feet all day. Any suggestions for a 'dressy' shoe?
Thanks
Maggie

Dr. Biehler on 11/10/00 at 09:14 (032424)

What pain medication were you given and what problems did you have with it? Dr. B

Shari on 11/14/00 at 20:27 (032754)

>
it was called Darvocet. The day after my surgery, it made me very sick to my stomach-vomiting and not being able to keep anything done. I also felt very 'out of it' and was extremely drowsy-to the point where I couldn't keep my eyes open to even watch much t.v. SO, my doctor suggested I switch to regular ibuprofen-3 tablets 3x a day and I flet so much better.

Kerry Potter on 1/11/01 at 18:23 (036444)

Maybe I just lucked out with my surgeon, I don't know, but I needed no pain medication. The pain I had before the surgery brought me to tears more than once.

Jen H on 11/01/00 at 15:45 (031771)

Lisa, I don't have the answer for you but I was wondering how long you had to take off work after the surgery and how long before you could drive? I have a desk job but if I require surgery it will be on the right foot and I am worried about getting to work after the first week or so. How long were you on crutches?

Maria on 11/01/00 at 19:59 (031790)

althought that I see that the dates on old on this message board I need someone to email me about recent endoscopic plantar faciotomy. I\will have the surgery at the end of the month. Please help!

Dr. Peter A. Wishnie on 11/01/00 at 20:38 (031792)

Dear Maria,\ \As a podiatric surgeon for 11 years and as the first podiatrist to perform epf in Central New Jersey, I would recommend a non-surgical approach first. My epf outcomes have been wonderful. Most people will heal within six weeks but I do have some patients that took 4-6 months to get better. Using the ESWT, which is an non-invasive, non-surgical approach, is something I would recommend that you would look into. Just e-mail me for some great information which would include a video or call me at 1-732-968-3833.\I am all ears and would like to help.\\Take care and stay well.\\Dr. Wishnie

Diana B on 11/02/00 at 06:42 (031804)

to Jen H I had my first epf surgery in Feb. on my right foot. I work on my feet in a supermarket.I was back to work in 4 weeks.4 days after my surgery my son was hospitalized, and I was able to put a shoe on and navigate through the hospital.I am now not working due to my second surgery{open kind} on 9/19/00 the walking boot comes off tuesday and I start wearing my sneaker with orthotics. Already in pt just starting strengthening exercises. Hope to be back to work before Christmas.The first one I was able to walk and drive within a week Hope this info helps.Diana

Lisa on 11/02/00 at 11:01 (031820)

No crutches, Jen. My doctor asked that I start weight bearing right away. I was standing the following day, taking a few steps the third day and drove myself to the doctors office on the fouth day after surgery. I took off a only a week from work.

Jen H on 11/02/00 at 20:30 (031848)

Thanks Lisa, I am considering starting a new job but was worried about asking for too much time off within the first few months. I don't think a week would be too much. This position is also a desk job, so there isn't any problem with me standing too much

rosemary on 11/05/00 at 22:59 (032036)

Message Number 32037
Re: fascia surgery for JEN H View Thread
Posted by rosemary on 11/05/00 at 23:09

Message Number 32038
Re: "Pump Bump" Surgery View Thread
Posted by Bruce on 11/05/00 at 23:11

Message Number 32039
Re: Winter View Thread
Posted by JudyS on 11/05/00 at 23:13

Dr. Z - you left out the cat in the lap

Shari on 11/07/00 at 16:01 (032185)

Message Number 32186
Flat feet and shoes View Thread
Posted by Maggie G on 11/07/00 at 16:41

I have flat feet and according to my Doctor my arch collapses completely. I had surgery 5 months ago but he says I still need orthodicts to supply support. He had some very thin orthodicts made for me that are suppose to fit a dress shoe, but my foot keeps sliding out of the shoe. My problem is compounded because I have a very wide foot in the toe area and a very narrow heel. I teach so I am on my feet all day. Any suggestions for a 'dressy' shoe?
Thanks
Maggie

Dr. Biehler on 11/10/00 at 09:14 (032424)

What pain medication were you given and what problems did you have with it? Dr. B

Shari on 11/14/00 at 20:27 (032754)

>
it was called Darvocet. The day after my surgery, it made me very sick to my stomach-vomiting and not being able to keep anything done. I also felt very 'out of it' and was extremely drowsy-to the point where I couldn't keep my eyes open to even watch much t.v. SO, my doctor suggested I switch to regular ibuprofen-3 tablets 3x a day and I flet so much better.

Kerry Potter on 1/11/01 at 18:23 (036444)

Maybe I just lucked out with my surgeon, I don't know, but I needed no pain medication. The pain I had before the surgery brought me to tears more than once.