Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis & college life

Posted by Karen G on 11/02/00 at 09:13 (031810)

I have now read all of the information on this web site, and one of the things I've noticed is the advice to 'stay off your feet as much as possible.' Well, I would love to have some advice on how to do that when I'm a full time college student! I have a 15 minute walk to the building where my classes are every day. I can't drive because parking is very limited at my campus. I have had pain for about a month now, and it gets worse every day. I just started on Naproxen and I begin my PT sessions today. Are ice & the Naproxen the only things I can do? If there is anything I can do which will help my situation, please let me know!!! Thank you for your help!

Re: Plantar Faciitis & college life - taping

Julie F on 11/02/00 at 09:59 (031814)

Karen, I've found taping a help. It supplies the support needed by the arch when it is weakened due to the tear in the fascia. You've read the PF Book, so have a look again at the taping section (in Vol 2). There are several ways of doing it. I like very much Scott's simple favourite: two strips of athletic tape connecting the heel and the ball of the foot. It works for me, and I can walk reasonable distances - when I have to - quite comfortably. It's certainly worth a try.

Have you had an evaluation by a doctor specializing in feet?

Good luck with your studies, Julie

Re: Plantar Faciitis & college life

Dr. Biehler on 11/02/00 at 10:52 (031818)

Shoes are very important. If you are wearing sneakers, make sure they have lots of support for your arch. These usually come with a removable insert that is thick. Shoes without arch support are not going to help. Try not to carry more text books than you have to. The added weight makes it harder for your foot to heal. It was while walking the 15 minutes between classes with feet that hurt that I desided to study Podiatry. Good luck. Dr. B.

Lori E. on 11/02/00 at 11:36 (031822)

I am attending a night class on a large campus right now. I was having the same trouble with lack of parking etc. I suggest you talk to your Dr. and see if you can get a temporary handicap permit that would allow you to drive and park close to your building. It may take a while to get it, but I have found it very helpful in not constantly reinjuring my foot every time I have to go to campus.

Beverly on 11/02/00 at 13:32 (031829)

Lori's suggestion is excellent.
Fortunately, I am well past school days, but here are a few ideas:
Don't put your classes back-to-back. Then, you won't be in a rush between buildings and it will be easier to drive and park - providing you get that parking sticker.

I used a luggage cart all through school. It was a life saver. That was years before I had PF, but since Dr. B. says don't carry too many books, it could be very helpful to have your books on wheels.

Also, take the elevator. Stairs are hard on PF.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/00 at 17:52 (031842)

You can got to the local campus police and get a temporary disability parking permit

Re: Plantar Faciitis & college life - taping

Julie F on 11/02/00 at 09:59 (031814)

Karen, I've found taping a help. It supplies the support needed by the arch when it is weakened due to the tear in the fascia. You've read the PF Book, so have a look again at the taping section (in Vol 2). There are several ways of doing it. I like very much Scott's simple favourite: two strips of athletic tape connecting the heel and the ball of the foot. It works for me, and I can walk reasonable distances - when I have to - quite comfortably. It's certainly worth a try.

Have you had an evaluation by a doctor specializing in feet?

Good luck with your studies, Julie

Dr. Biehler on 11/02/00 at 10:52 (031818)

Shoes are very important. If you are wearing sneakers, make sure they have lots of support for your arch. These usually come with a removable insert that is thick. Shoes without arch support are not going to help. Try not to carry more text books than you have to. The added weight makes it harder for your foot to heal. It was while walking the 15 minutes between classes with feet that hurt that I desided to study Podiatry. Good luck. Dr. B.

Lori E. on 11/02/00 at 11:36 (031822)

I am attending a night class on a large campus right now. I was having the same trouble with lack of parking etc. I suggest you talk to your Dr. and see if you can get a temporary handicap permit that would allow you to drive and park close to your building. It may take a while to get it, but I have found it very helpful in not constantly reinjuring my foot every time I have to go to campus.

Beverly on 11/02/00 at 13:32 (031829)

Lori's suggestion is excellent.
Fortunately, I am well past school days, but here are a few ideas:
Don't put your classes back-to-back. Then, you won't be in a rush between buildings and it will be easier to drive and park - providing you get that parking sticker.

I used a luggage cart all through school. It was a life saver. That was years before I had PF, but since Dr. B. says don't carry too many books, it could be very helpful to have your books on wheels.

Also, take the elevator. Stairs are hard on PF.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/02/00 at 17:52 (031842)

You can got to the local campus police and get a temporary disability parking permit