Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To surgery or not?

Posted by Edythe S. on 11/02/00 at 19:20 (031846)

I have been under treatment for plantar fasciitis for over a year. The pain started a few monthe after starting a walking program. I have been taped, had injections twice, wear orthotics AND shoes and do exercising and massage most days. I am under treatment with a DPM and he has just recently indicated I have a fibroma and perhaps impingment of a nerve. He wants to do surgery that will require my using crutches for about three weeks. I have always been reluctant to have foot surgery and am not too fond of the idea now. Would ESWA be a suitable alternative for me? I am willing to travel for it. By the way, I am 73,if age has a bearing on the situation. Thanks in advance. E.S

Re: To surgery or not?

Dr. Biehler on 11/03/00 at 19:13 (031881)

ESWT is the alternative to surgery for plantar fasciitis. Your young age of 73 should not be a problem for ESWT. Dr. Biehler

Edythe S on 11/04/00 at 19:19 (031952)

Thanks so much, Dr., for the prompt reply. I will begin a search for an appropriate clinic. I do feel more comfortable with the shock wave procedure. (In my mind, that is, not my foot.) I found a clinic in St. Louis that does ESWA so I may try that. One more question - does the presence of a fibroma negate this procedure? Again, thanks. What a wonderful font of knowledge we have in the internet! Edythe S

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:00 (031954)

Having a fibroma does not prevent you from having ESWT, although the ESWT is not a treatment for a fibroma. Dr B

Dr. Biehler on 11/03/00 at 19:13 (031881)

ESWT is the alternative to surgery for plantar fasciitis. Your young age of 73 should not be a problem for ESWT. Dr. Biehler

Edythe S on 11/04/00 at 19:19 (031952)

Thanks so much, Dr., for the prompt reply. I will begin a search for an appropriate clinic. I do feel more comfortable with the shock wave procedure. (In my mind, that is, not my foot.) I found a clinic in St. Louis that does ESWA so I may try that. One more question - does the presence of a fibroma negate this procedure? Again, thanks. What a wonderful font of knowledge we have in the internet! Edythe S

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:00 (031954)

Having a fibroma does not prevent you from having ESWT, although the ESWT is not a treatment for a fibroma. Dr B