Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Low Carb Diet Question for Robin B

Posted by Brian J on 11/02/00 at 21:51 (031852)

Hi Robin -- I'm a lurker who's had PF for 3 years and faithfully tried almost everything to get rid of it. I recently read with interest past postings by you and Gordon regarding low carbs/exercise/bromelein/Birks. Can you give me a better idea about the specifics of your low-carb diet? I realize it may vary from person to person, but: how much fruit can you eat each day and what kinds? What about cheese, oats, mustard, yogurt, soy milk, tofu, nuts, corn, and sugar substitutes? Also, did I understand correctly that you had to take Bromelein on an empty stomach to feel improvement? Sorry for all the questions, but after three years I'm getting very concerned. Thanks to you and to everyone on this site

Re: Low Carb Diet Question for Robin B

Robin B. on 11/03/00 at 11:39 (031868)

Hi Brian. For me, the primary eliminations in a low carb diet were elimination of flour and wheat products. That meant no breads, cereals, pasta -- plus junky snacks and sugars. I also eliminated caffeine (not for PF reasons, but I don't think it hurt). I have always continued to eat vegetables, and yes -- I have fruit when I want (pineapple, grapefruit, canteloupe, etc.). My goal (and my lifestyle) was never to measure and count and moderate like a banshee so I can't give you amounts and quantities. Mostly I just tried to stay away from flour and wheat products and junk food.

My PF is about 90% better today. It started in the spring of 1998 and by the fall I was in complete agony. I'm happy to say that I barely think about it anymore. I do, however, own 12 pairs of Birkenstocks and am pretty committed to wearing them for the rest of my life. They remain the only shoes that feel really good on me.

I do continue to take bromelain -- not as steadfastly as I used to, since my feet feel so much better -- but pretty regularly. If I slip for a few days and really neglect it, I do feel its absence. Yes, take it on an empty stomach. Otherwise it acts as a digestive enzyme (which is what it is).

Another factor for me was resting my feet. I gave them almost complete rest for about a year -- literally, being on them as little as I humanly could. I am convinced that played a major role in my recovery too.

I still visit this board now and then -- for many many months, it was the only real moral support I had, so it still warms my heart. When I first discovered it, I could barely hobble around my house. Going grocery shopping was my on-my-feet event for the day. Being in 24-7 pain, I gained a much greater understanding of people who have suicidal thoughts. I am happy to say that now, in my somewhat new job, I occasionally work at trade shows and conventions. Last month, I was at one where I was on my feet on a hard, convention center concrete floor for more than 8 hours -- and while I did have a little pain the next day, a couple of nights of rest helped to repair the strain. Two years ago, I would't be working this job -- and I sure wouldn't be standing on a convention floor.

I am convinced there is a solution and an answer for everyone -- but I do believe it takes time, patience and a lot of self-monitoring. I hope you find what works for you

Re: Low Carb Diet Question for Robin B

Robin B. on 11/03/00 at 11:39 (031868)

Hi Brian. For me, the primary eliminations in a low carb diet were elimination of flour and wheat products. That meant no breads, cereals, pasta -- plus junky snacks and sugars. I also eliminated caffeine (not for PF reasons, but I don't think it hurt). I have always continued to eat vegetables, and yes -- I have fruit when I want (pineapple, grapefruit, canteloupe, etc.). My goal (and my lifestyle) was never to measure and count and moderate like a banshee so I can't give you amounts and quantities. Mostly I just tried to stay away from flour and wheat products and junk food.

My PF is about 90% better today. It started in the spring of 1998 and by the fall I was in complete agony. I'm happy to say that I barely think about it anymore. I do, however, own 12 pairs of Birkenstocks and am pretty committed to wearing them for the rest of my life. They remain the only shoes that feel really good on me.

I do continue to take bromelain -- not as steadfastly as I used to, since my feet feel so much better -- but pretty regularly. If I slip for a few days and really neglect it, I do feel its absence. Yes, take it on an empty stomach. Otherwise it acts as a digestive enzyme (which is what it is).

Another factor for me was resting my feet. I gave them almost complete rest for about a year -- literally, being on them as little as I humanly could. I am convinced that played a major role in my recovery too.

I still visit this board now and then -- for many many months, it was the only real moral support I had, so it still warms my heart. When I first discovered it, I could barely hobble around my house. Going grocery shopping was my on-my-feet event for the day. Being in 24-7 pain, I gained a much greater understanding of people who have suicidal thoughts. I am happy to say that now, in my somewhat new job, I occasionally work at trade shows and conventions. Last month, I was at one where I was on my feet on a hard, convention center concrete floor for more than 8 hours -- and while I did have a little pain the next day, a couple of nights of rest helped to repair the strain. Two years ago, I would't be working this job -- and I sure wouldn't be standing on a convention floor.

I am convinced there is a solution and an answer for everyone -- but I do believe it takes time, patience and a lot of self-monitoring. I hope you find what works for you