Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur pain only after hiking or running

Posted by Gerald F. on 11/03/00 at 11:53 (031869)

Good afternoon doctors,

I am a professor in Ecuador and developed a heel spur probably because of my excessive hiking and jogging in the mountains. Six months ago I had ultrasound shock treatment in Canada and have realized some reduction in pain. Now there is no pain when I swim or cycle for exercise. When I run I do not experience pain until 1-2 hours after the exercise. This is deceptive as the lack of pain when I am running tends to encourage me to run more causing more intense pain 1-2 hours after I finish. Can you point me in any direction for future treatment?

Regards,

Gerald

Gerald L. Finch, Ph.D.
Ecuador

Re: heel spur pain only after hiking or running

Dr. Biehler on 11/03/00 at 19:20 (031883)

First would be a good and complete biomechanical evaluation of you feet. Have you had this done already? Dr. B

Re: biomechanical evalution question

Cindy W on 11/04/00 at 09:37 (031923)

Dr.B,
What kind of Dr. would do a biomechanical evalution?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Cindy W

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 19:58 (031953)

I am a podiatrist and I do them related to the lower extremity. Most orthopedics and or doctors that deal with sporting injuries should be well versed in biomechanics. Dr. B

Re: heel spur pain only after hiking or running

Dr. Biehler on 11/03/00 at 19:20 (031883)

First would be a good and complete biomechanical evaluation of you feet. Have you had this done already? Dr. B

Cindy W on 11/04/00 at 09:37 (031923)

Dr.B,
What kind of Dr. would do a biomechanical evalution?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Cindy W

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 19:58 (031953)

I am a podiatrist and I do them related to the lower extremity. Most orthopedics and or doctors that deal with sporting injuries should be well versed in biomechanics. Dr. B