Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is ESWT?

Posted by Glynis B on 11/03/00 at 22:26 (031899)

I have had plantar fasciitis for 2.5 yrs,but not diagnosed till about a year ago by a fellow sufferer. A visit to a chiropodist was fruitless because she didn't feel I had it because I didn't pronate when I walked. However I had the classic symptom of pain upon arising in the morning that got better as the morning wore on, but came back after periods of sitting. In July of 2000 my heels started to hurt so I got a 2nd opinion (a little too late!) and the chiropractor had x-rays taken to confirm the presence of heel spurs. I have looked up PF on the web for the first time today and would like to know what is ESWT and is it effective. I have just received my custom orthotics today but if that doesn't take care of my pain I would like to keep my options open. ( My chiropractor has also been doing some kind of 'electric shock' therapy, as I call it, on my heels and a laser treatment of some sort as well.) I appreciate all the helpful input on this website

Re: What is ESWT?

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 07:23 (031915)

Your feet do not have to over pronate for a person to get plantar fasciits. There are a lot of different causes of heel pain and the presence of heel spurs may or may not be related to your pain. What are your custom orthotics trying to correct ? ESWT stands for Extrea Corporal Shock Wave Treatment. This is used as a surgical alternative to help cure serveral problems, one of which is chronic plantar fasciitis. Dr. B

Glynis B on 11/04/00 at 09:20 (031921)

My orthotics are to correct arches that are somewhat flat. I do have some arch on each foot,more so on the left than on the right. The orthotics are specifically geared to take pressure off the spurs so I will walk with my weight more evenly distributed over the whole foot. I hope this answers the question adequately

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:25 (031959)

Orthotics have helped a lot of feet. Remember. depending on the orthotic, there is a break in period. This allows the tendons and muscle to adjust to their new positioning and range of motions. If the break in period is not followed you can injury you feet. Dr. B

Scott R on 11/06/00 at 13:23 (032083)

Heidi,
If you have been getting excellent results it may be good to let your patients show us the results directly by filling out the form at the following address:
http://heelspurs.com/eswt/patients.cgi?go=add

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 07:23 (031915)

Your feet do not have to over pronate for a person to get plantar fasciits. There are a lot of different causes of heel pain and the presence of heel spurs may or may not be related to your pain. What are your custom orthotics trying to correct ? ESWT stands for Extrea Corporal Shock Wave Treatment. This is used as a surgical alternative to help cure serveral problems, one of which is chronic plantar fasciitis. Dr. B

Glynis B on 11/04/00 at 09:20 (031921)

My orthotics are to correct arches that are somewhat flat. I do have some arch on each foot,more so on the left than on the right. The orthotics are specifically geared to take pressure off the spurs so I will walk with my weight more evenly distributed over the whole foot. I hope this answers the question adequately

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:25 (031959)

Orthotics have helped a lot of feet. Remember. depending on the orthotic, there is a break in period. This allows the tendons and muscle to adjust to their new positioning and range of motions. If the break in period is not followed you can injury you feet. Dr. B

Scott R on 11/06/00 at 13:23 (032083)

Heidi,
If you have been getting excellent results it may be good to let your patients show us the results directly by filling out the form at the following address:
http://heelspurs.com/eswt/patients.cgi?go=add