Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Pump Bump" Surgery

Posted by Sarah on 11/04/00 at 14:08 (031943)

Hi there... I developed bursitis a few months ago, which led to the development of a bone spur on the back of my heel ('pump bump'). I'm scheduled for surgery in a few months and was wondering if anyone who had a similar procedure could tell me what it was like and about how long it takes to heal. I'm a college cross-country runner and had to give up this season but was hoping to be able to run spring track... is this realistic?Thanks much for any help/info

Re: "Pump Bump" Surgery

Bruce on 11/04/00 at 20:46 (031964)

Sarah,
I haven't talked with anyone yet who has already had this surgery. I'm now scheduled for surgery on both heels Dec. 13th. Margaret Unger said she was scheduled for early November. See thread entitled 'Haglund's Deformity.' I'm hoping Margaret will be able to give us an idea of what recovery is like.
Do you have a bump on both heels and one is worse, or just on one heel? How bad is it right now?

Sarah on 11/05/00 at 13:15 (031999)

Bruce,

I have a bump on just one heel (my right). Do you have the same thing as I do, only on both heels? Mine is pretty bad right now in the sense that wearing closed shoes gets painful after an hour or less, and it's been this way for several months with no improvement. When I press the bump, there's pain. And needless to say, I can't run more than a few steps without pain. I'll check the Haglund's thread for more info...my doctor didn't mention that possibility to me

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/05/00 at 23:56 (032044)

There is a achilles tendon-haglund's deformity gel padding that can take the pressure off of the back of your heel. It is one of the better products made

Sarah on 11/06/00 at 10:20 (032068)

Bruce,

The doctor doesn't have me doing much for treatment, other than icing and stretching, taking Ibuprofen for inflammation. I also have some gel heel inserts probably similar to those the doctor mentioned. What have you been doing?

In my reading on this disorder, lots of doctors seem to recommend a 6-8 week cast and talk about detaching the tendon during surgery. I'm confused about this, since my doctor made the surgery sound much less complicated and said a cast wouldn't even be necessary. Do you know if your Haglunds are 'mixed up' with your tendon at all? My doctor took an x-ray and said mine weren't. Perhaps that makes a difference in how complicated the surgery is

Bruce on 11/06/00 at 21:08 (032120)

Message Number 32121
Re: Is there relief in sight? View Thread
Posted by Dr Biehler on 11/06/00 at 21:12

From your discription you do have some nerve involvment but this could be caused by the swelling in the area of the nerve as the body trys to protect and heal itself. This is common and does not rule out ESWT by itself. Dr. B

Bruce on 11/08/00 at 20:11 (032315)

Message Number 32318
Re: Where is the tooth fairy when you need her? View Thread
Posted by Beverly on 11/08/00 at 20:15

Laurie,

Hope you feel better. When already in pain, it is easy to feel pushed over the edge by something new. Oh, for the tooth fairy to fix everything!
Beverly

Sue on 12/15/00 at 10:07 (035018)

I don't want to discourage you but I had 'pump bump' (or haglund's deformity) surgery on September 12th and I am still not running. I have tried to start running but it is still painful. I think that it will come around but not as quickly as I was hoping. I would be really surprised if you can get back for your Track season. The recovery from this surgery seems LONG.

Lauren on 12/23/00 at 00:53 (035329)

I've always had 'boney' heels, and about 1.5 months ago my right heel REALLY started to hurt. Upon inspection of my shoes, I found I'd actually worn holes almost completely through.

Today I went to see the ortho and he thinks that surgery is the best solution (my tendon doesn't appear to be interfering or in the way, although the tendon area was tighter than usual this am). One of the first q's my doctor asked was if I wore hockey skates. This is kind of funny since I only got back to hockey 2 months ago (after a 5 year absence). He's also planning to put me in a cast and on crutches for 2 weeks, but said it would be another 6 weeks before skating etc. I'm torn.. do I 'drop' hockey and skiing, or hiking in the summer. And if I go in in Feb, how long until I'll be up for multi-day treks??

karen on 12/31/00 at 22:20 (035743)

I have just had surgery for haglunds and a hammertoe on the same foot on 12-27-00. I can report no pain at all in the heel as of yet though the staples are a little uncomfortable right now and the bandage makes my foot feel sweaty. My doctor said that the bone removed was behind the tendon so they were able to 'slice'it off without touching the tendon. A bursa was also removed. My foot was bandaged and placed in a surgical shoe and I was able to walk out of the hospital and up the stairs of my house. Elevation and Ice and reduced activity for three days. I am also on antbiotics. I am using a walker just to avoid putting my whole weight on it and restricting activity. I still feel tired most of the time. Doctor predicts four to eight weeks until total recovery. I guess every Haglunds is different thus the difference in recovery time. I can say that so far I am pleasantly surprised. Karen

Kristen on 1/08/01 at 11:00 (036144)

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the info on Haglunds surgery from the patient's point of view. I am getting surgery on a pump bump on Jan. 15. I have to admit, I knew I was going to be 'out of commission' for a little while, but recovery seems longer than I expected. When I return back to college on the 29th, I was wondering how well I should expect to be able to walk around campus. Also, since I'm getting surgery on my right foot, I know I wont be able to drive for a little while - but can you give me an estimate on how long I will be unable to drive? Thanks for any information. A speedy recovery to all!

karen on 1/09/01 at 12:18 (036228)

to kristen: You should do fine after surgery because you are young. I am 57 years old and considerably overweight. Twelve days after surgery I am able to do light house work and walk around my house without an aide but I do use a cane outside. Overuse brings on a burning pain on bottom of heel similar to wearing sneakers without socks an a hot day. The incision at heel is about 2-3 inches long and had seven staples in it. Mine became irritated- felt like chafing- so three were removed at last dr. visit. The key seems to be elevation and ice. Pain is from swelling around incision which can occur when foot isn't elevated and from walking in a wooden shoe. When you get older you don't have as much natural padding in your foot, Also the good leg gets tired. Try to wear a shoe that is the same heel height as the surgical shoe. mine is about 1/2 inch at the heel and a little higher in the middle of the foot. Obviously I'm not an athlete but I do walk for exercise and and water aerobics so I hope to be able to be back at it by spring. Good luck - don't be afraid. I actually walked out of the hospital in less pain than when I went in. Karen

Bruce on 11/04/00 at 20:46 (031964)

Sarah,
I haven't talked with anyone yet who has already had this surgery. I'm now scheduled for surgery on both heels Dec. 13th. Margaret Unger said she was scheduled for early November. See thread entitled 'Haglund's Deformity.' I'm hoping Margaret will be able to give us an idea of what recovery is like.
Do you have a bump on both heels and one is worse, or just on one heel? How bad is it right now?

Sarah on 11/05/00 at 13:15 (031999)

Bruce,

I have a bump on just one heel (my right). Do you have the same thing as I do, only on both heels? Mine is pretty bad right now in the sense that wearing closed shoes gets painful after an hour or less, and it's been this way for several months with no improvement. When I press the bump, there's pain. And needless to say, I can't run more than a few steps without pain. I'll check the Haglund's thread for more info...my doctor didn't mention that possibility to me

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/05/00 at 23:56 (032044)

There is a achilles tendon-haglund's deformity gel padding that can take the pressure off of the back of your heel. It is one of the better products made

Sarah on 11/06/00 at 10:20 (032068)

Bruce,

The doctor doesn't have me doing much for treatment, other than icing and stretching, taking Ibuprofen for inflammation. I also have some gel heel inserts probably similar to those the doctor mentioned. What have you been doing?

In my reading on this disorder, lots of doctors seem to recommend a 6-8 week cast and talk about detaching the tendon during surgery. I'm confused about this, since my doctor made the surgery sound much less complicated and said a cast wouldn't even be necessary. Do you know if your Haglunds are 'mixed up' with your tendon at all? My doctor took an x-ray and said mine weren't. Perhaps that makes a difference in how complicated the surgery is

Bruce on 11/06/00 at 21:08 (032120)

Message Number 32121
Re: Is there relief in sight? View Thread
Posted by Dr Biehler on 11/06/00 at 21:12

From your discription you do have some nerve involvment but this could be caused by the swelling in the area of the nerve as the body trys to protect and heal itself. This is common and does not rule out ESWT by itself. Dr. B

Bruce on 11/08/00 at 20:11 (032315)

Message Number 32318
Re: Where is the tooth fairy when you need her? View Thread
Posted by Beverly on 11/08/00 at 20:15

Laurie,

Hope you feel better. When already in pain, it is easy to feel pushed over the edge by something new. Oh, for the tooth fairy to fix everything!
Beverly

Sue on 12/15/00 at 10:07 (035018)

I don't want to discourage you but I had 'pump bump' (or haglund's deformity) surgery on September 12th and I am still not running. I have tried to start running but it is still painful. I think that it will come around but not as quickly as I was hoping. I would be really surprised if you can get back for your Track season. The recovery from this surgery seems LONG.

Lauren on 12/23/00 at 00:53 (035329)

I've always had 'boney' heels, and about 1.5 months ago my right heel REALLY started to hurt. Upon inspection of my shoes, I found I'd actually worn holes almost completely through.

Today I went to see the ortho and he thinks that surgery is the best solution (my tendon doesn't appear to be interfering or in the way, although the tendon area was tighter than usual this am). One of the first q's my doctor asked was if I wore hockey skates. This is kind of funny since I only got back to hockey 2 months ago (after a 5 year absence). He's also planning to put me in a cast and on crutches for 2 weeks, but said it would be another 6 weeks before skating etc. I'm torn.. do I 'drop' hockey and skiing, or hiking in the summer. And if I go in in Feb, how long until I'll be up for multi-day treks??

karen on 12/31/00 at 22:20 (035743)

I have just had surgery for haglunds and a hammertoe on the same foot on 12-27-00. I can report no pain at all in the heel as of yet though the staples are a little uncomfortable right now and the bandage makes my foot feel sweaty. My doctor said that the bone removed was behind the tendon so they were able to 'slice'it off without touching the tendon. A bursa was also removed. My foot was bandaged and placed in a surgical shoe and I was able to walk out of the hospital and up the stairs of my house. Elevation and Ice and reduced activity for three days. I am also on antbiotics. I am using a walker just to avoid putting my whole weight on it and restricting activity. I still feel tired most of the time. Doctor predicts four to eight weeks until total recovery. I guess every Haglunds is different thus the difference in recovery time. I can say that so far I am pleasantly surprised. Karen

Kristen on 1/08/01 at 11:00 (036144)

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the info on Haglunds surgery from the patient's point of view. I am getting surgery on a pump bump on Jan. 15. I have to admit, I knew I was going to be 'out of commission' for a little while, but recovery seems longer than I expected. When I return back to college on the 29th, I was wondering how well I should expect to be able to walk around campus. Also, since I'm getting surgery on my right foot, I know I wont be able to drive for a little while - but can you give me an estimate on how long I will be unable to drive? Thanks for any information. A speedy recovery to all!

karen on 1/09/01 at 12:18 (036228)

to kristen: You should do fine after surgery because you are young. I am 57 years old and considerably overweight. Twelve days after surgery I am able to do light house work and walk around my house without an aide but I do use a cane outside. Overuse brings on a burning pain on bottom of heel similar to wearing sneakers without socks an a hot day. The incision at heel is about 2-3 inches long and had seven staples in it. Mine became irritated- felt like chafing- so three were removed at last dr. visit. The key seems to be elevation and ice. Pain is from swelling around incision which can occur when foot isn't elevated and from walking in a wooden shoe. When you get older you don't have as much natural padding in your foot, Also the good leg gets tired. Try to wear a shoe that is the same heel height as the surgical shoe. mine is about 1/2 inch at the heel and a little higher in the middle of the foot. Obviously I'm not an athlete but I do walk for exercise and and water aerobics so I hope to be able to be back at it by spring. Good luck - don't be afraid. I actually walked out of the hospital in less pain than when I went in. Karen