Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Pump Bump" Surgery

Posted by Sarah on 11/04/00 at 14:32 (031946)

Hello doctors,

I began struggling with Achilles bursitis in Feb. 2000, and have since developed a bone spur on the back of my heel that my doctor calls a 'pump bump.' After months of ice, heat, Ibuprofen and cross-training, the bursitis seems to be gone, and x-rays show the spur is not extending into the tendon. But I'm a cross-country runner and haven't been able to run normally in 8 months, since wearing closed shoes is still very painful.

Would you also recommend surgery? How long does it usually take to heal (ie; when will I be able to run again)?

Re: "Pump Bump" Surgery

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:10 (031955)

A pump bump is part of the heel bone that because of its positioning can become very painfull. This can be removed with MIS surgery or with the open type of surgery. If bone growth has caused a spur that is painful, this spur is usually in the achillies at the attachment into the heel. This is treated by padding,surgery or ESWT. You might also have a stiedies process off the bone just above the heel bone, treated by padding, time,or surgery. The heeling time for each of these depends on the severity of the problem,technique used and the patient. Dr. B

Re: "Pump Bump" Surgery

Dr. Biehler on 11/04/00 at 20:10 (031955)

A pump bump is part of the heel bone that because of its positioning can become very painfull. This can be removed with MIS surgery or with the open type of surgery. If bone growth has caused a spur that is painful, this spur is usually in the achillies at the attachment into the heel. This is treated by padding,surgery or ESWT. You might also have a stiedies process off the bone just above the heel bone, treated by padding, time,or surgery. The heeling time for each of these depends on the severity of the problem,technique used and the patient. Dr. B