Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

numbness in thigh--any connection to PF?

Posted by Nancy N on 11/05/00 at 10:24 (031979)

Hello, Dr Z and Dr B! Quick question for you--

I've had my current case of PF for almost 1.5 years. Bac k in the spring, I started to notice that my right thigh would become partially numb from time to time, usually when I'd been sitting for a while. My PF is in my right foot. The PF does seem to be making some slow progress, and I hadn't noticed the thigh numbness for a while, but two nights ago, it came back while standing in a line for about half an hour. It's never happened while I've been standing before--in fact, standing and walking usually restores the circulation. But it made me wonder if there's any connection between this numbness and the PF. It's the outer thigh that usually gets numb.

If you need more information, let me know. I appreciate any insights you have! Thanks!

Re: numbness in thigh--any connection to PF?

alan k on 11/05/00 at 10:53 (031982)

While you are waiting for an answer Nancy, a couple of suggestions:

1. Use extra padding in chairs for a while. I am sitting right now on a 6' high density foam piece.

2. Do not put on pants, socks, shoes etc. while standing, but rather in a chair. Balancing on your leg may make it worse.

3. When getting up from a chair, use your hands on arm rests, table, etc. to rise up. Also, do not come up straight, but scoot to the side of your good leg, lean forward, and rise up without much wieght on the other leg.

These measures will help with the swelling and inflammation in your hips and bottom muscles, which may be putting pressure on your sciatica nerve. Of course, these are just stop-gap suggestions, but a thorough examination of numbness is always a good idea, and I am sure the doctors will get you pointed in the right direction.

yours,

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Dr. Biehler on 11/05/00 at 16:53 (032009)

Numbness is caused by nerves being compressed. It is not a circulation problem. The area of peripheral nerve distribution you are talking about appears to be from the L2-L3 segment of your lower spine. This is the area I think you would have checked first. Dr. B

Nancy N on 11/05/00 at 16:55 (032010)

Ok. Do you think there is any connection between this numbness and my PF?

Dr. Biehler on 11/06/00 at 08:10 (032059)

Not between your thigh and your PF but possibly from your lower back and the PF. Dr. B

Nancy N on 11/06/00 at 08:13 (032060)

Thanks, Dr. B. Is this something my orthopedic surgeon could check on my next visit, or should I see my GP about it?

Dr. Biehler on 11/06/00 at 08:23 (032061)

The orthopedic is trained for this. Dr. B

alan k on 11/05/00 at 10:53 (031982)

While you are waiting for an answer Nancy, a couple of suggestions:

1. Use extra padding in chairs for a while. I am sitting right now on a 6' high density foam piece.

2. Do not put on pants, socks, shoes etc. while standing, but rather in a chair. Balancing on your leg may make it worse.

3. When getting up from a chair, use your hands on arm rests, table, etc. to rise up. Also, do not come up straight, but scoot to the side of your good leg, lean forward, and rise up without much wieght on the other leg.

These measures will help with the swelling and inflammation in your hips and bottom muscles, which may be putting pressure on your sciatica nerve. Of course, these are just stop-gap suggestions, but a thorough examination of numbness is always a good idea, and I am sure the doctors will get you pointed in the right direction.

yours,

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Dr. Biehler on 11/05/00 at 16:53 (032009)

Numbness is caused by nerves being compressed. It is not a circulation problem. The area of peripheral nerve distribution you are talking about appears to be from the L2-L3 segment of your lower spine. This is the area I think you would have checked first. Dr. B

Nancy N on 11/05/00 at 16:55 (032010)

Ok. Do you think there is any connection between this numbness and my PF?

Dr. Biehler on 11/06/00 at 08:10 (032059)

Not between your thigh and your PF but possibly from your lower back and the PF. Dr. B

Nancy N on 11/06/00 at 08:13 (032060)

Thanks, Dr. B. Is this something my orthopedic surgeon could check on my next visit, or should I see my GP about it?

Dr. Biehler on 11/06/00 at 08:23 (032061)

The orthopedic is trained for this. Dr. B