Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4.5 years of foot woes

Posted by Kay S on 11/06/00 at 15:24 (032087)

Message Number 32088
Re: heel pain diagnoses View Thread
Posted by Kay S on 11/06/00 at 15:43

Thanks for replying. I will call the office and get the video. I am saoking in cool water nightly---is that okay? Also, my husband (bless his heart) massages my feet/heels, which feels wonderful, and then I do my stretches. The phys. ther. also gave me some hip exercises to do, which I have added to my routine. I guess they are supposed to strengthen some muscle which has something to do with the arch. I wear my orthotics most of the day. When one has had foot symptoms for such a long time, can it ever go away with this conservative treatment? I am glad I found this site. I don't feel so alone now

Re: 4.5 years of foot woes

Brad NY on 11/06/00 at 21:24 (032123)

Kay -
Just a response to your desperate feeling. We all have had such moments, and you have apparently had way more of your share. I suggest you look carefully at comments and results of ESWT, as posted here. You will also find some solace, I hope, in the quiet suffering of us fellow foot people....Have patience, take a deep breath, think about all that you DO have in this life, and carefully plan your next strategy for getting well again

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/06/00 at 21:50 (032132)

What was the condition of your leg muscles before the TTS surgery? Do you have lack of strength and motion at the ankle joint . This is called equinus. Alot of your pain could be from the non-use of your foot, ankle, and leg muscles. The foot is attached to the rest of your body

VickiJ on 11/07/00 at 09:31 (032160)

If you are considering ESWT and can get to NYC I strongly recommend participating in the study being conducted at Montefiore Hospital. The doctors there are incredible...I've never met better. They are caring and spend a great deal of time with each patient examining, explaining, comforting, etc. And while it is true that you might be part of the placebo group all those who are part of the placebo group will be given free treatments later.

Dr. Naidoo and Dr Erhlich are conducting the study and the phone number is (718) 920-4960

Good Luck!

john h on 11/07/00 at 10:04 (032162)

i had ESWT on my left foot which i had a tarsal tunnel release/pf release/cheilectomy about 11 months after surgery. i think my foot had healed enough at 6 months to have done the procedure. having said that it sometimes takes up to a year to achieve maximum results from your previous surgery

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:25 (032209)

No worry about non-use of muscles. My most recent physical therapist said my strength was great and FootFlexibility better than he expected. I have really maintained my function well, I think, and ride my bike and other things I can tolerate without putting any weight on my feet. The minute I stand upright, the pain is there. I think my doctor was pleased with my progress from the tts surgery, even though it hardly did anything to relieve my symptoms. I actually DO have tts bilaterally, but think it is more related to previous foot conditions and perhaps poor positioning with my previous orthotics. My EMG showed absence of medial plantar responses bilaterally. I had/have some numbness along the lateral aspect of my foot/feet which has been relieved with the surgery on the left, but would NEVER have had this surgery for that reason alone. I just want the dang heel pain to disappear. My calves are better today but still seem so stiff sometimes. I sure am a mess, aren't I?

Re: sore calves

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:31 (032211)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it your way and see what happens. I don't know if my husband is going to go for the foot massage/calf rub but it won't hurt to ask

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:36 (032212)

Thanks for the encouragement, and I am so glad to be in the company of others who can understand my suffering. I have felt up to this point that I have dealt with this well, but as you can tell, I am reaching my breaking point. However, I know how to laugh (I have to do it sitting) and make fun of myself and will pray that I can continue to have hope for some relief. I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond and make me feel so important!!!

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:42 (032213)

while I have considered doing just that, I don't think I could take being in a placebo group. I am planning to make an appointment with a doc here in Illinois who has the machine, and what I would spend on trips back and forth to NY I could apply to the cost of the treatments, whether or not my insurance will pay. I know one thing, and that is that I would sure be a challenge. I wish I could go to those wonderful docs you speak of, but I am much too practical to spend all the time it would take. But thank you for the good thoughts and I hope you are doing well!

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:47 (032216)

How are your feet now? (or was it foot?) Did the ESWT work for you?
What was your recovery like? How long? Did you have to stay off your foot? (feet?) Could you be up and around doing normal activities?
Can you walk on it right away after the ESWT? Was your tts surgery really necessary? I realize that I could get better yet from the tts surgery, but it's my heels which have always caused me the most pain. I can deal with the rest of it, but the heels are intolerable

john h on 11/08/00 at 11:06 (032255)

after eswt you can walk right out of the office. i had it on both feet and drove 130 miles to washington. caught a plane to cleveland,chicago,little rock. numbness wears off in about 3 hours with little or no pain. when you say heel is where you pain is where 'exactly' on the heel is the pain. is it a small spot you can press on and reproduce the pain?

Kay S on 11/08/00 at 18:25 (032300)

I have several places on my heels which hurt, but mostly it is on the inside 'rim'. I have drawn 'x's' in the places that hurt and sometimes have a lot of x's, but it is always towards that inside area. Often when I have been up on my feet they hurt so bad I can't name just one spot, which is why I started drawing on them before a doctor's appointment. Did you get immediate relief from the ESWT, and were you limited in how much you could/should walk afterwards? Could you work? Were you in a study? Where did you have it done, and how much did it cost? Did your insurance pay anything? Thanks for your help

Barbara TX on 11/09/00 at 11:19 (032355)

I too have pain on the rim of my heel, and I have been told this is Achilles tendonitis. You may mention this to the doctors. I also know that there can be a spur on the OUTSIDE of your heel as well as the inside. How long have you had the 'rim' pain? 4.5 years? Do you have any pain in the middle of your heel when you press? B

Kay S on 11/09/00 at 19:00 (032388)

I have had so many varied diagnoses that I don't know what to call what I have now, but it has hurt on the 'rim' for at least two or three years. There are certain spots that the doc could press and it would really hurt, but BOTH feet are the same, although the left one is slightly worse than the right. Right now I do have the tenderness in the middle of the heel, but I don't always have that. And though I am uncomfortable when I get up, I always have had the most pain when I have been ON my feet for a length of time. I cannot walk barefooted (even thinking about that makes me cringe) and if I change shoes every hour I get some relief, though not that much. Go figure. Are you the Barbara who just had the ESWT and having complications? I could hardly bear to read that! Have you had the morning pain or is it worse after being up and around, can you stand, and if you did have the ESWT, how are you? Did you go to New Jersey from somewhere far or do you live close?

john h on 11/10/00 at 12:00 (032443)

the classic place for initial PF is on the inside edge of the foot where the heel meets the fascia. sounds like she is describing that spot. of course the pain can be felt all across the bottom of the foot from time to time

Brad NY on 11/06/00 at 21:24 (032123)

Kay -
Just a response to your desperate feeling. We all have had such moments, and you have apparently had way more of your share. I suggest you look carefully at comments and results of ESWT, as posted here. You will also find some solace, I hope, in the quiet suffering of us fellow foot people....Have patience, take a deep breath, think about all that you DO have in this life, and carefully plan your next strategy for getting well again

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/06/00 at 21:50 (032132)

What was the condition of your leg muscles before the TTS surgery? Do you have lack of strength and motion at the ankle joint . This is called equinus. Alot of your pain could be from the non-use of your foot, ankle, and leg muscles. The foot is attached to the rest of your body

VickiJ on 11/07/00 at 09:31 (032160)

If you are considering ESWT and can get to NYC I strongly recommend participating in the study being conducted at Montefiore Hospital. The doctors there are incredible...I've never met better. They are caring and spend a great deal of time with each patient examining, explaining, comforting, etc. And while it is true that you might be part of the placebo group all those who are part of the placebo group will be given free treatments later.

Dr. Naidoo and Dr Erhlich are conducting the study and the phone number is (718) 920-4960

Good Luck!

john h on 11/07/00 at 10:04 (032162)

i had ESWT on my left foot which i had a tarsal tunnel release/pf release/cheilectomy about 11 months after surgery. i think my foot had healed enough at 6 months to have done the procedure. having said that it sometimes takes up to a year to achieve maximum results from your previous surgery

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:25 (032209)

No worry about non-use of muscles. My most recent physical therapist said my strength was great and FootFlexibility better than he expected. I have really maintained my function well, I think, and ride my bike and other things I can tolerate without putting any weight on my feet. The minute I stand upright, the pain is there. I think my doctor was pleased with my progress from the tts surgery, even though it hardly did anything to relieve my symptoms. I actually DO have tts bilaterally, but think it is more related to previous foot conditions and perhaps poor positioning with my previous orthotics. My EMG showed absence of medial plantar responses bilaterally. I had/have some numbness along the lateral aspect of my foot/feet which has been relieved with the surgery on the left, but would NEVER have had this surgery for that reason alone. I just want the dang heel pain to disappear. My calves are better today but still seem so stiff sometimes. I sure am a mess, aren't I?

Re: sore calves

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:31 (032211)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it your way and see what happens. I don't know if my husband is going to go for the foot massage/calf rub but it won't hurt to ask

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:36 (032212)

Thanks for the encouragement, and I am so glad to be in the company of others who can understand my suffering. I have felt up to this point that I have dealt with this well, but as you can tell, I am reaching my breaking point. However, I know how to laugh (I have to do it sitting) and make fun of myself and will pray that I can continue to have hope for some relief. I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond and make me feel so important!!!

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:42 (032213)

while I have considered doing just that, I don't think I could take being in a placebo group. I am planning to make an appointment with a doc here in Illinois who has the machine, and what I would spend on trips back and forth to NY I could apply to the cost of the treatments, whether or not my insurance will pay. I know one thing, and that is that I would sure be a challenge. I wish I could go to those wonderful docs you speak of, but I am much too practical to spend all the time it would take. But thank you for the good thoughts and I hope you are doing well!

Kay S on 11/07/00 at 19:47 (032216)

How are your feet now? (or was it foot?) Did the ESWT work for you?
What was your recovery like? How long? Did you have to stay off your foot? (feet?) Could you be up and around doing normal activities?
Can you walk on it right away after the ESWT? Was your tts surgery really necessary? I realize that I could get better yet from the tts surgery, but it's my heels which have always caused me the most pain. I can deal with the rest of it, but the heels are intolerable

john h on 11/08/00 at 11:06 (032255)

after eswt you can walk right out of the office. i had it on both feet and drove 130 miles to washington. caught a plane to cleveland,chicago,little rock. numbness wears off in about 3 hours with little or no pain. when you say heel is where you pain is where 'exactly' on the heel is the pain. is it a small spot you can press on and reproduce the pain?

Kay S on 11/08/00 at 18:25 (032300)

I have several places on my heels which hurt, but mostly it is on the inside 'rim'. I have drawn 'x's' in the places that hurt and sometimes have a lot of x's, but it is always towards that inside area. Often when I have been up on my feet they hurt so bad I can't name just one spot, which is why I started drawing on them before a doctor's appointment. Did you get immediate relief from the ESWT, and were you limited in how much you could/should walk afterwards? Could you work? Were you in a study? Where did you have it done, and how much did it cost? Did your insurance pay anything? Thanks for your help

Barbara TX on 11/09/00 at 11:19 (032355)

I too have pain on the rim of my heel, and I have been told this is Achilles tendonitis. You may mention this to the doctors. I also know that there can be a spur on the OUTSIDE of your heel as well as the inside. How long have you had the 'rim' pain? 4.5 years? Do you have any pain in the middle of your heel when you press? B

Kay S on 11/09/00 at 19:00 (032388)

I have had so many varied diagnoses that I don't know what to call what I have now, but it has hurt on the 'rim' for at least two or three years. There are certain spots that the doc could press and it would really hurt, but BOTH feet are the same, although the left one is slightly worse than the right. Right now I do have the tenderness in the middle of the heel, but I don't always have that. And though I am uncomfortable when I get up, I always have had the most pain when I have been ON my feet for a length of time. I cannot walk barefooted (even thinking about that makes me cringe) and if I change shoes every hour I get some relief, though not that much. Go figure. Are you the Barbara who just had the ESWT and having complications? I could hardly bear to read that! Have you had the morning pain or is it worse after being up and around, can you stand, and if you did have the ESWT, how are you? Did you go to New Jersey from somewhere far or do you live close?

john h on 11/10/00 at 12:00 (032443)

the classic place for initial PF is on the inside edge of the foot where the heel meets the fascia. sounds like she is describing that spot. of course the pain can be felt all across the bottom of the foot from time to time