Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthodics delimma/Need direction

Posted by Beverly on 11/08/00 at 09:44 (032246)

Hi Richard,

I really appreciate your time you are giving to the Board. I have a delimma. I would consider trying orthodics again (although they have not worked on my two past attempts/one soft and a temporary set). I have both arch and heel pain.
And I'm the one who can't stand to have the orthodics push me up too high in my shoes. For the last couple of months, I have also battled Post Tibial Tendonitis and now a miserable hamstring strain. All of this started with a simple case of PF back in March. My arches are somewhere between normal and high. Some medical people say I supplinate some say I pronate. This is confusing since I don't know which I do. I suspect I am not extreme either direction since I have recieved mulitple answers. But more medical and shoe people have said I pronate.

I studied the shoe website and shoes you reccomend for extra depth. No one here in town carries them. In about six months or less I will be back in a large city where I can go to a store and try them on. My success so far with guessing through the mail has not been good.

In the meantime, I've thought about New Balance to accomodate orthodics. I've been told they have extra depth and run wide to accomodate orthodics. I currently wear Brooks.

The guy my doctor likes wanted to put me in rigid orthodics. He said it would be hard plastic with a cushioned top layer. Is that hard or semi?
I have real reservations about rigid orthodics.

My best shoe so far has been the Birk Arizona. It helps my heel but is just a tad too high in the arch. I have also thought about having it customized and taking the arch down a bit.

The most comfortable otc for my arches are Spenco full length arch supports. I tried Powersteps and Superfeet. They felt good on my heels but hurt my arches. Are there any other otc you reccomend me trying?
Based on this information, and knowing my best luck has been with Birks, do you have any idea what kind of orthodic would be best for me?

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Orthodics delimma/Need direction

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/00 at 10:57 (032250)

Message Number 32251
Re: To Barbara View Thread
Posted by Barbara TX on 11/08/00 at 10:57

Bev - Grandma is coming November 16! Not a moment too soon. I am so sorry that you are still struggling. Not having relief from shots is my story too. Then tendonitis is hell. Can a person have tendonitis forever or does it naturally resolve itself???? It flares up whenever I take normal strides. I am going to try a very small heel lift today. When are you moving? B

MattP on 11/08/00 at 18:47 (032304)

Bevery,
Arizona soft footbed is also the only comfortable one that I wear now.
New Balance has SL-2 type with high instep, deep toe box and wide forefoot. I wear 878 SL-2 type($90) which also give quite good cushion. You can try it with your OTC insert in shoe store.
I will bring my insert(custom or OTC) to specialty shoe store that sell only running shoe and fit with different kinds of shoes. I will ask them if I can take it back home, walk at home for a few days. If no like will bring back for exchange.
After disappointment with recent expensive custom orthotic, I don't feel like throwing more money after the bad one. But recently I gave my new podiatrist a try for a pair of $ 350 hard custom orthotics. Just got it last week, trying to break in now but have a feeling that my $ went down the drain again. My quest now is to find a podiatrist or podortrist that really understand foot mechanic and can really make custom orthotics . I will go back to see my podiatrist next week and will see if he is willing change or tweak with it till it works, also I am not will to pay for his time to correct it.
Hope a helpful information

Beverly on 11/08/00 at 20:27 (032321)

Thanks,

Richard, I sent you my email.

I am going to try custom orthodics again, but this time with someone new.

I suspect we get what we pay for. The last set I tried for free as temporaries would have cost 180.00 if I'd had the regular set made.
I know that is cheap for orthodics. The new woman I am trying was a physical therapist who went back to school and became an orthodist. (I'm probably spelling that wrong.)

Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/09/00 at 14:01 (032364)

Check your insurance to see if it covers the inserts. I hope she works out well for you. Remember...ask questions. I can give you plenty if you need them. I actually thought about going back to school to be an orthotist. It was two years and the closest school is in Pittsburgh. I have in-law family up there, but two years....? I am happy doing what I am doing.
Richard

Re: What kind of questions?

Beverly on 11/09/00 at 21:25 (032407)

Orthodics talk is harder for me to communicate than anything, because I am not a technical person. I get confused. Perhaps, there are others who would also benefit from your generous offer to suggest questions we should pose when visiting an orthodist. I'd love to get that feedback.
I know I want to know if they are made in house or ordered out and what kind of orthodic she thinks I need and why, but beyond that, I have no idea what to ask.
Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/10/00 at 08:15 (032417)

You might be able to do a 'search' on questions. I know I have posted many in the past. Questions such as the two you mentioned as well as:

What is the cost of the orthosis?

Who will do adjustments if needed/how long will it take/cost?

Who will interface the orhosis to my shoes, and how will it be done?

Will the insert be 3/4 or full length?

Will the bottom of the orthosis be round or flat?

Will my insurance cover any cost? If so, do I have to pay upfront then file the claim myself(I personally like to file the claim myself so the patient does not have to pay out of pocket. I have to
wait longer to get paid, but it is easier on the patients wallet)?

Is there a seperate casting fee? If so, do I keep my casts in case I want more made? Or, do you throw the casts away and charge me again if I want another pair made?

How will you make the casts of my feet? Foam box/wax/plaster strips?

If foam box, will you take the impression in subtalor neutral with a semi-weight bearing position (sitting usually), or will I stand up in the box (NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN----IT IS WRONG!!!!!) Personal note to customer: Do not help whoever is taking the impression by pushing down. Let them do the pushing. I tell my customers that if they push, it will flex the muscles in the bottom of the foot, mess up the impression, and I will have to charge them double (kidding of course, but it sure gets their attention:-))

How do you intend to keep my foot in neutral while taking the impression?

These are just a few important questions to ask. I am planing to post these on my FAQ web site page among others...one of these days.

Hope this helps!
Richard

Re: What kind of questions? Wow, thanks for all those questions.

Beverly on 11/10/00 at 18:18 (032476)

Wow, Richard, I never would have thought of all those things.
Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/11/00 at 18:00 (032541)

My pleasure!! Let me know how things turn out.
Richard

Kathy on 11/13/00 at 19:00 (032680)

Beverly,
I am so pleased with my orthodics, I went to a pedorthist for them and felt that she spent more time with me then anyone else I've seen. I broke them in as suggested but honestly could have worn them all day from day one. My old hard ones that I wore for maybe a week will be donated to the orthodic fairy. I would recommend looking for a pedorthist is your considering new orthodics.
Kathy

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/00 at 10:57 (032250)

Message Number 32251
Re: To Barbara View Thread
Posted by Barbara TX on 11/08/00 at 10:57

Bev - Grandma is coming November 16! Not a moment too soon. I am so sorry that you are still struggling. Not having relief from shots is my story too. Then tendonitis is hell. Can a person have tendonitis forever or does it naturally resolve itself???? It flares up whenever I take normal strides. I am going to try a very small heel lift today. When are you moving? B

MattP on 11/08/00 at 18:47 (032304)

Bevery,
Arizona soft footbed is also the only comfortable one that I wear now.
New Balance has SL-2 type with high instep, deep toe box and wide forefoot. I wear 878 SL-2 type($90) which also give quite good cushion. You can try it with your OTC insert in shoe store.
I will bring my insert(custom or OTC) to specialty shoe store that sell only running shoe and fit with different kinds of shoes. I will ask them if I can take it back home, walk at home for a few days. If no like will bring back for exchange.
After disappointment with recent expensive custom orthotic, I don't feel like throwing more money after the bad one. But recently I gave my new podiatrist a try for a pair of $ 350 hard custom orthotics. Just got it last week, trying to break in now but have a feeling that my $ went down the drain again. My quest now is to find a podiatrist or podortrist that really understand foot mechanic and can really make custom orthotics . I will go back to see my podiatrist next week and will see if he is willing change or tweak with it till it works, also I am not will to pay for his time to correct it.
Hope a helpful information

Beverly on 11/08/00 at 20:27 (032321)

Thanks,

Richard, I sent you my email.

I am going to try custom orthodics again, but this time with someone new.

I suspect we get what we pay for. The last set I tried for free as temporaries would have cost 180.00 if I'd had the regular set made.
I know that is cheap for orthodics. The new woman I am trying was a physical therapist who went back to school and became an orthodist. (I'm probably spelling that wrong.)

Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/09/00 at 14:01 (032364)

Check your insurance to see if it covers the inserts. I hope she works out well for you. Remember...ask questions. I can give you plenty if you need them. I actually thought about going back to school to be an orthotist. It was two years and the closest school is in Pittsburgh. I have in-law family up there, but two years....? I am happy doing what I am doing.
Richard

Beverly on 11/09/00 at 21:25 (032407)

Orthodics talk is harder for me to communicate than anything, because I am not a technical person. I get confused. Perhaps, there are others who would also benefit from your generous offer to suggest questions we should pose when visiting an orthodist. I'd love to get that feedback.
I know I want to know if they are made in house or ordered out and what kind of orthodic she thinks I need and why, but beyond that, I have no idea what to ask.
Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/10/00 at 08:15 (032417)

You might be able to do a 'search' on questions. I know I have posted many in the past. Questions such as the two you mentioned as well as:

What is the cost of the orthosis?

Who will do adjustments if needed/how long will it take/cost?

Who will interface the orhosis to my shoes, and how will it be done?

Will the insert be 3/4 or full length?

Will the bottom of the orthosis be round or flat?

Will my insurance cover any cost? If so, do I have to pay upfront then file the claim myself(I personally like to file the claim myself so the patient does not have to pay out of pocket. I have to
wait longer to get paid, but it is easier on the patients wallet)?

Is there a seperate casting fee? If so, do I keep my casts in case I want more made? Or, do you throw the casts away and charge me again if I want another pair made?

How will you make the casts of my feet? Foam box/wax/plaster strips?

If foam box, will you take the impression in subtalor neutral with a semi-weight bearing position (sitting usually), or will I stand up in the box (NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN----IT IS WRONG!!!!!) Personal note to customer: Do not help whoever is taking the impression by pushing down. Let them do the pushing. I tell my customers that if they push, it will flex the muscles in the bottom of the foot, mess up the impression, and I will have to charge them double (kidding of course, but it sure gets their attention:-))

How do you intend to keep my foot in neutral while taking the impression?

These are just a few important questions to ask. I am planing to post these on my FAQ web site page among others...one of these days.

Hope this helps!
Richard

Beverly on 11/10/00 at 18:18 (032476)

Wow, Richard, I never would have thought of all those things.
Thanks,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/11/00 at 18:00 (032541)

My pleasure!! Let me know how things turn out.
Richard

Kathy on 11/13/00 at 19:00 (032680)

Beverly,
I am so pleased with my orthodics, I went to a pedorthist for them and felt that she spent more time with me then anyone else I've seen. I broke them in as suggested but honestly could have worn them all day from day one. My old hard ones that I wore for maybe a week will be donated to the orthodic fairy. I would recommend looking for a pedorthist is your considering new orthodics.
Kathy