Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Welcome back Nancy S !!!!!!!! We missed you.....

Posted by Laurie R on 11/08/00 at 23:06 (032335)

Hi Nancy,
Welcome back .I am so glad you had a safe trip. We missed you . I am sure it is going to take you a while to catch up. Have fun.I will talk to you later. Laurie R

Re: Welcome back Nancy S !!!!!!!! We missed you.....

Nancy S. on 11/09/00 at 01:00 (032341)

Thanks Laurie, and Wendy for asking about The Trip. It went great! Much better than I expected. We were two days in the van going out and two days coming back. I had a makeshift bed in the back, out of foam and a sleeping bag, and a bunch of pillows. Boy what a difference that made -- I could stretch out when I needed to, sleep, watch the scenery go by -- I was flying high to get away from home. Felt like part of the world again.
Oh, and john h, each evening back there in the van when I knew my driving was over I had a little martini from a Coke bottle that I'd mixed up just for the trip. No olives. But always I was good before I did that and did Acu-Flex exercises. I got some funny looks from truckers.
In Michigan we stayed with my husband's sister, and she'd borrowed me a wheelchair, so I had it really easy. Mostly I needed it for visiting my father-in-law in his nursing home, a gigantic complex that no PFer would want to walk through twice a day. He was in a wheelchair too, so we were wheelchair buddies. My husband insisted on trying to push me in it through a park with a gravel path. I tell you, I needed a seatbelt, he almost pitched me out twice.
My sister-in-law gave me a foot vibrator -- this soft thing you put your feet in, and with a little pressure it shakes up the feet and legs nicely. I think it's killing off some evil weevils while stirring up circulation.
Funny thing is, I was sure my feet would be worse from this trip, but they feel better than when I left! Today when I arrived at PT the therapist said, 'You're walking better than I've ever seen you walk!' Also, while visiting with family for days straight, my mind was on them and other things -- really took my mind off of pain. There's a lesson here and I'm listening . . .
By the way, Wendy, we went through southern Ontario and stayed overnight in some motel. Do all motels in Canada nail the lamps and clocks to the bedside tables?? This one did! I went to move the ashtray and it wouldn't move either, I thought that really took the cake -- but turned out it was just stuck to the table with grime. We made a good choice, eh? Cheap, though!
My webtv isn't handling the new board design well, so I'm not sure I got to see all the messages from while I was gone. But Beverly, I'm sorry your shots were a disappointment. How are you today?
All in all, I'm SO glad I went -- just like Wendy said, I took care of my feet but also watched sunsets and sunrises, visited with lots of people, remembered how to talk in person, enjoyed my sister=in-law's cat Hobbs and lovebird Romeo, ate bad food that tasted good, and also saw the initials of my husband that he carved in a tree when he was nine years old!
Best to everyone,
Nancy
p.s. One good thing about being hobbled is that you stop caring that everyone else's clothes and coifs look so new and crisp. Everyone and everything is very NEAT in that town. I used to feel so damn wrinkled in the clothes and flyaway in the hair when I went there! This time I finally got it: no one minds

alan k on 11/09/00 at 09:03 (032350)

Hi Nancy!

The AcuTai massage and yoga manual is free on-line at http://www.acutai.com .

I know you were waiting for it.

yours,

alan

Beverly on 11/09/00 at 11:59 (032357)

Nancy,

We missed you. Glad you're back. That's great your trip went so well.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 11/09/00 at 01:00 (032341)

Thanks Laurie, and Wendy for asking about The Trip. It went great! Much better than I expected. We were two days in the van going out and two days coming back. I had a makeshift bed in the back, out of foam and a sleeping bag, and a bunch of pillows. Boy what a difference that made -- I could stretch out when I needed to, sleep, watch the scenery go by -- I was flying high to get away from home. Felt like part of the world again.
Oh, and john h, each evening back there in the van when I knew my driving was over I had a little martini from a Coke bottle that I'd mixed up just for the trip. No olives. But always I was good before I did that and did Acu-Flex exercises. I got some funny looks from truckers.
In Michigan we stayed with my husband's sister, and she'd borrowed me a wheelchair, so I had it really easy. Mostly I needed it for visiting my father-in-law in his nursing home, a gigantic complex that no PFer would want to walk through twice a day. He was in a wheelchair too, so we were wheelchair buddies. My husband insisted on trying to push me in it through a park with a gravel path. I tell you, I needed a seatbelt, he almost pitched me out twice.
My sister-in-law gave me a foot vibrator -- this soft thing you put your feet in, and with a little pressure it shakes up the feet and legs nicely. I think it's killing off some evil weevils while stirring up circulation.
Funny thing is, I was sure my feet would be worse from this trip, but they feel better than when I left! Today when I arrived at PT the therapist said, 'You're walking better than I've ever seen you walk!' Also, while visiting with family for days straight, my mind was on them and other things -- really took my mind off of pain. There's a lesson here and I'm listening . . .
By the way, Wendy, we went through southern Ontario and stayed overnight in some motel. Do all motels in Canada nail the lamps and clocks to the bedside tables?? This one did! I went to move the ashtray and it wouldn't move either, I thought that really took the cake -- but turned out it was just stuck to the table with grime. We made a good choice, eh? Cheap, though!
My webtv isn't handling the new board design well, so I'm not sure I got to see all the messages from while I was gone. But Beverly, I'm sorry your shots were a disappointment. How are you today?
All in all, I'm SO glad I went -- just like Wendy said, I took care of my feet but also watched sunsets and sunrises, visited with lots of people, remembered how to talk in person, enjoyed my sister=in-law's cat Hobbs and lovebird Romeo, ate bad food that tasted good, and also saw the initials of my husband that he carved in a tree when he was nine years old!
Best to everyone,
Nancy
p.s. One good thing about being hobbled is that you stop caring that everyone else's clothes and coifs look so new and crisp. Everyone and everything is very NEAT in that town. I used to feel so damn wrinkled in the clothes and flyaway in the hair when I went there! This time I finally got it: no one minds

alan k on 11/09/00 at 09:03 (032350)

Hi Nancy!

The AcuTai massage and yoga manual is free on-line at http://www.acutai.com .

I know you were waiting for it.

yours,

alan

Beverly on 11/09/00 at 11:59 (032357)

Nancy,

We missed you. Glad you're back. That's great your trip went so well.
Beverly