Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain only 1-3 hours after running

Posted by Gerald F. on 11/09/00 at 14:17 (032366)

Message Number 32367
Re: To -Richard C.Ped/Arch Support/Braces View Thread
Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 11/09/00 at 14:52

Hi Rosie,
It all depends on what the painful condition is. Have you been diagnosed with anything recently? The one I wear slips on and looks like a sock. It has two flaps with Velcro attached. You pull one to the inside and wrap around to the outside, the other just the opposite. I love it. I have (I am pretty sure) I have post tib tendonitis and it works great. Again, it will depend on the diagnosis. If I can not think of anything at the time (please don't beat me up), I am sure Dr. B and Dr. Z would be able to suggest something.
Richard, C.Ped
P.S. If you have read any of my posts you know that I like to cut up and act the fool at times...so please don't be offended by the 'beat me up' comment...:-)

Re: pain only 1-3 hours after running

Julie F on 11/12/00 at 06:08 (032566)

Hello Gerald

Although I'm not a runner, I do know that the bottom line with plantar fasciitis is that it is an injury, and that any activity that causes pain is causing the torn fascia to be re-injured. So most of us need to avoid activities that cause pain, period. Weight-bearing exercise such as running and walking are likely to cause pain, as are - sometimes and for some people - even the 'classic' stretches recommended for pf. You wouldn't necessarily feel the pain while you are running, but if you feel it afterwards it's a sure sign that you should lay off running until your fascia heals, and stick to non weight-bearing exercise that does not give you pain, e.g. swimming and cycling.

I hope this observation is useful. You will find lots of helpful information in the PF book on this board.

All the best, Julie

Re: pain only 1-3 hours after running

Julie F on 11/12/00 at 06:08 (032566)

Hello Gerald

Although I'm not a runner, I do know that the bottom line with plantar fasciitis is that it is an injury, and that any activity that causes pain is causing the torn fascia to be re-injured. So most of us need to avoid activities that cause pain, period. Weight-bearing exercise such as running and walking are likely to cause pain, as are - sometimes and for some people - even the 'classic' stretches recommended for pf. You wouldn't necessarily feel the pain while you are running, but if you feel it afterwards it's a sure sign that you should lay off running until your fascia heals, and stick to non weight-bearing exercise that does not give you pain, e.g. swimming and cycling.

I hope this observation is useful. You will find lots of helpful information in the PF book on this board.

All the best, Julie