Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

If you want a laugh, read about my maiden vogage with a maid service.

Posted by Beverly on 11/10/00 at 18:13 (032475)

Wendy's post about her housekeeper leaves me just way too tempted. I have to tell this story.

Getting my house ready for market, I wanted it spiffy clean. I am a neat nick by nature. Never could afford a housekeeper, but I have a few times in my life treated myself to a maid service.

I called one a few days ago. In addition to general cleaning, I asked her to shock my jacuzzi bathtub with bleach - gets rid of mold behind the jets. I gave careful instructions. Fill tub. Add bleach. Turn on button. Wait ten minutes. Drain tub. Refill with water. Turn on button and let it run one more time. Drain tub.

Sounded simple to me. I've done it many times. A few minutes later I heard hysteria coming from the bathroom - half English/half Spanish. I limped to the bathroom. The jets were shooting water up to the heavens, flooding the bathroom floor, and even getting on the carpet in my bedroom and shooting all the way to my closet! I said, 'Turn off the button.' She was in such shock, she couldn't remember where the button was. By now, the other two maids (cleaning sevices come in teams and wisk through your house in about two hours), stood perched on the edge of the bathroom looking on in horror.

I said, 'I can't go on that wet floor with a bad foot.' Finally, one of them found the button and turned it off.

Next, it took ALL of my clean towels to mop up the mess. Then, instead of putting the clean towels in the washing machine, she puts them in the dryer with MY CLEAN CLOTHES! I catch this later, and she corrects it. The owner of the service is also supervising this entire event in VERY HIGH HEELS. I think to myself, 'Honey, you are PF waiting to happen.'

After it is all done, I go in to inspect the cleaning. Fresh mud streaks are on my carpet... carpet I just got cleaned. I point this out. They get it up. Carpet looks fine.

When it is all over, the owner has the nerve not only to charge me full price but to complain that laundry services was not part of the deal! When she leaves, I still have three loads of wet towels and bathmats left to do. By the way, this happened because when they cleaned the tub, they wiped over the jets too hard and changed their direction.

I pay her anyway, because I just want HER OUT OF MY HOUSE so I can colapse on ice.

I call the next day to complain. I said, 'If my average middle class house has a jacuzzi bathtub, I know this can't be the first one you've encountered.' The problem was, in cleaning the jets got pointed up to the ceiling.

We haggled. She promised a free maid service while complaining and once again reminding me that she wasn't intending to DO LAUNDRY.

This morning, I got a message that said she felt she did not owe me a free cleaning and there would be a charge. She changed her mind. I called her back and canceled and added a few choice words about her 'customer service.'

So, this is why I am dreaming of Mary Poppins.
Where is Hazel when I need her?

Beverly

Re: If you want a laugh, read about my maiden vogage with a maid service.

john h on 11/11/00 at 16:46 (032535)

as i have posted many times i am the housekeeper in my abode so if you have any questions just write.

Re: If you want a laugh, read about my maiden vogage with a maid service.

john h on 11/11/00 at 16:46 (032535)

as i have posted many times i am the housekeeper in my abode so if you have any questions just write.