Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sudden SHARP/NO ENDING pain in arch...limping again. drats!

Posted by Beverly on 11/11/00 at 15:08 (032520)

Footpain gang,

Only yesterday I was breezily pronouncing myself feeling better thanks to friends, my pastor, and a few taxi drivers 'chaffuering' me about...

Last night before I went to bed, I was walking through the house and felt a sudden deep ache in my upper calf behind my knee - just below the hamstrings - not too surprising since I have a hamstring strain ontop of PF and PTT. I did my stretches but just a little.

This morning I woke up and I thought I felt better. Morning stretches went well. But after being on my feet just a little while this morning, I got a sudden, deep, sharp pain in my left arch and instep. This has been the most injured PF foot. It hurts like **#!!! I'm limping... staying off it except for the bathroom and refridgerator.

What really is spookey is that I keep thinking I'm feeling something moving a just a bit in the arch area. It is hard to describe but a weird feeling.
I am still in awful pain. But my foot is not swollen and the color is normal. Since I had that cortizone shot 10 days ago, I can't help but worry about a rupture. Would it be swollen and blue if I ruptured it? It hurts like all getout but visually looks normal. And my calf doesn't hurt much now. It's like the pain traveled overnight.

I switched from my Birks to my running shoes and laced them tight. I don't notice the 'movement' feeling much in the athletic shoes.

This just feels never ending. I am praying that by staying off it all weekend, by Monday I'll be back to my 'normal pain level.' I just hope its not trying to tear.

Any imput appreciated. Especially if you've had a rupture.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Sudden SHARP/NO ENDING pain in arch...limping again. drats!

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/11/00 at 15:56 (032524)

The pain in the thigh isn't due to anything in the foot except maybe over compensation. Now you have this movement and or severe pain in the arch let's see. Come directly over to my office. Oh! can't do this . Didn't teach me internet examination in Podiatry school , or did i forget this course. come on Dr Z think think. It sounds bad but you didn't just run fifty miles or play basketball or walk the malls for three straigh hours. So all you can do is rest, No stretching of the foot and lower legs period. Ok to do the thigh and back but no stretching of any muscle such as the Achilles tendon, posterior tibial tendon and or the anterior tibial tendon. If in doubt don't do it. Keep it simple rest, rest. no bare feet did I leave anything out. Ice the area if there is swelling.

Dr. Z
Internet ER foot doc
this is no joke rest the foot and listen to the above directions. If you still can't place alot of weight on the foot in the next twenty four hours then internet doc will have to either fly or send you to someone local to get his hands on you to take a look. i wish that we had a camera but i think that isn't allowed.

Barbara TX on 11/11/00 at 16:19 (032527)

Bev - I think that the risk of rupture is closer to the day you had your shot, if not during, and you might be worrying about something that you shouldn't. Perhaps you were feeling some relief from the cortisone shot and then did a little too much, ESPECIALLY STRETCHING. If I never stretched a day in my life, I would be walking around this house. I kid you not. After my cortisone shots, a couple of days would go by and I would feel worse because I was tempted by my 'well' feeling. Why did I always want to be meticulous about my stretcing when I was feeling a little bit better? I guess I wanted to keep a good thing going. I know how irritating and frustrating it is to stay put. Sometimes I want to crawl the walls. Go into a deep rest. Take naps, sip a little Southern Comfort and curl up with your favorite novel. Wait! You are supposed to be writing a novel, aren't you? Get to work! I'll be thinking of youy this weekend. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/11/00 at 16:34 (032531)

You keep talking about the Southern Comfort and off I go to you house for a house call. Please stop the stretching of your lower extremity-feet ankle-legs. knees. According to the article on this board about rupture it is about 8-9 % and it was two months down the road. I would still bet that you don't have a rupture so just rest. If you did rupture the foot at the
pf it would be after you did your slam dunk on your way to the NBA

Beverly on 11/11/00 at 18:39 (032545)

Thank you. I took a long nap. Just woke up a little while ago. I have a spellbinding suspense thriller to keep me off my feet.

You all won't have to talk me into no stretching. I wouldn't dare stretch it.

I was on my feet a little more than usual yesterday but nothing extreme. In fact, the most extreme thing I did was stretch my legs by walking the length of about six or seven houses in my neighborhood and back again after being on the computer. I had a few errands, including PT, but none of them put me on my feet much. I parked in handicapped parking. And at the grocery store, pastor pushed me around in a wheelchair. So overall, I was good.

My PT did discontinue ultrasound after noting I'd had too many treatments and that can cause tissue damage, but he said that is short term. The most frustrating thing is that in PT, I was feeling good enough in my feet that he got to massage deeper than usual while I maintained chatty conversation.

I had these setbacks. It still hurts after my nap. I guess I can't expect a miracle from a three hour nap.

Dr. Z., are you saying 'bad' as in a possible rupture? It still looks normal even if it hurts like heck. When I woke up from the nap, it didn't feel more than just sore until I put my first foot on the ground. I DID NOT stretch when I got out of bed. I did massage for about a minute on each foot.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/00 at 06:47 (032570)

I was talking about the pain. If really sounds bad . Maybe I am starting to heard things but I some how could tell how bad the pain was meaning you were in alot of pain. I know that this may be impossible but there was a time and maybe still is where people write letters instead of calling or visiting and the letters had expression. You knew how the person felt by what they wrote. So to answer your question I could tell how much pain you were really in.

I would at least move my foot up and down and around before getting up. Get the blood flowing into the foot. I

Re: Still lots of pain but taking weight bearing better.

Beverly on 11/12/00 at 12:16 (032589)

Well, gang,

I still have lots of pain, but I am happy to say that at least this morning, after being awake about three hours, I am not limping. I'm taking weight bearing better. I don't feel that weird 'movement' in the bottom of my arch. I will continue to take it extra easy.
Icing alot. Followed by hot baths. Keeping my fingers crossed I didn't tear anything. But I kid you not, last night, not only was I limping, I could hardly walk at all.

Unfortantely, the pain in my other leg, in the hamstrings is back with full vengance. Seems like Dr. B. told someone else that when we get leg related pain with PF, that is the rest of the body overcompensating. Oh, Dr. Z, I think told me that in an earlier thread. So, I just keep 'rotating' hurts.

I have come to the conclusion that I really need to make a BIG effort to find orthodics that work. So, I have an appt. on Wed. with an fully certified orthodist/PT who is highly reccommended by my PT.

It took two Lorcet pain pills, but I finally was able to znock out last night. I very rarely take them and only at bedtime, because I don't want to mask pain during my waking hours and make things worse. I woke up with a hung over feeling and remembered why I hate taking pain pills.

Two more angels of mercy are as we speak in route to Luby's to get me two days worth of Lu-Ann specials. I say today calls for mashed potatoes... my comfort food of choice.

As of yesterday, my house went officially on the market. I think my realtor is a real go-getter/big seller and really nice. He convinced me to list the house near my 'bottom' price to make it move faster.

Thank you for helping me through my fears yesterday. I don't think I am out of the woods, but at least I can walk so far today.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/11/00 at 15:56 (032524)

The pain in the thigh isn't due to anything in the foot except maybe over compensation. Now you have this movement and or severe pain in the arch let's see. Come directly over to my office. Oh! can't do this . Didn't teach me internet examination in Podiatry school , or did i forget this course. come on Dr Z think think. It sounds bad but you didn't just run fifty miles or play basketball or walk the malls for three straigh hours. So all you can do is rest, No stretching of the foot and lower legs period. Ok to do the thigh and back but no stretching of any muscle such as the Achilles tendon, posterior tibial tendon and or the anterior tibial tendon. If in doubt don't do it. Keep it simple rest, rest. no bare feet did I leave anything out. Ice the area if there is swelling.

Dr. Z
Internet ER foot doc
this is no joke rest the foot and listen to the above directions. If you still can't place alot of weight on the foot in the next twenty four hours then internet doc will have to either fly or send you to someone local to get his hands on you to take a look. i wish that we had a camera but i think that isn't allowed.

Barbara TX on 11/11/00 at 16:19 (032527)

Bev - I think that the risk of rupture is closer to the day you had your shot, if not during, and you might be worrying about something that you shouldn't. Perhaps you were feeling some relief from the cortisone shot and then did a little too much, ESPECIALLY STRETCHING. If I never stretched a day in my life, I would be walking around this house. I kid you not. After my cortisone shots, a couple of days would go by and I would feel worse because I was tempted by my 'well' feeling. Why did I always want to be meticulous about my stretcing when I was feeling a little bit better? I guess I wanted to keep a good thing going. I know how irritating and frustrating it is to stay put. Sometimes I want to crawl the walls. Go into a deep rest. Take naps, sip a little Southern Comfort and curl up with your favorite novel. Wait! You are supposed to be writing a novel, aren't you? Get to work! I'll be thinking of youy this weekend. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/11/00 at 16:34 (032531)

You keep talking about the Southern Comfort and off I go to you house for a house call. Please stop the stretching of your lower extremity-feet ankle-legs. knees. According to the article on this board about rupture it is about 8-9 % and it was two months down the road. I would still bet that you don't have a rupture so just rest. If you did rupture the foot at the
pf it would be after you did your slam dunk on your way to the NBA

Beverly on 11/11/00 at 18:39 (032545)

Thank you. I took a long nap. Just woke up a little while ago. I have a spellbinding suspense thriller to keep me off my feet.

You all won't have to talk me into no stretching. I wouldn't dare stretch it.

I was on my feet a little more than usual yesterday but nothing extreme. In fact, the most extreme thing I did was stretch my legs by walking the length of about six or seven houses in my neighborhood and back again after being on the computer. I had a few errands, including PT, but none of them put me on my feet much. I parked in handicapped parking. And at the grocery store, pastor pushed me around in a wheelchair. So overall, I was good.

My PT did discontinue ultrasound after noting I'd had too many treatments and that can cause tissue damage, but he said that is short term. The most frustrating thing is that in PT, I was feeling good enough in my feet that he got to massage deeper than usual while I maintained chatty conversation.

I had these setbacks. It still hurts after my nap. I guess I can't expect a miracle from a three hour nap.

Dr. Z., are you saying 'bad' as in a possible rupture? It still looks normal even if it hurts like heck. When I woke up from the nap, it didn't feel more than just sore until I put my first foot on the ground. I DID NOT stretch when I got out of bed. I did massage for about a minute on each foot.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/00 at 06:47 (032570)

I was talking about the pain. If really sounds bad . Maybe I am starting to heard things but I some how could tell how bad the pain was meaning you were in alot of pain. I know that this may be impossible but there was a time and maybe still is where people write letters instead of calling or visiting and the letters had expression. You knew how the person felt by what they wrote. So to answer your question I could tell how much pain you were really in.

I would at least move my foot up and down and around before getting up. Get the blood flowing into the foot. I

Re: Still lots of pain but taking weight bearing better.

Beverly on 11/12/00 at 12:16 (032589)

Well, gang,

I still have lots of pain, but I am happy to say that at least this morning, after being awake about three hours, I am not limping. I'm taking weight bearing better. I don't feel that weird 'movement' in the bottom of my arch. I will continue to take it extra easy.
Icing alot. Followed by hot baths. Keeping my fingers crossed I didn't tear anything. But I kid you not, last night, not only was I limping, I could hardly walk at all.

Unfortantely, the pain in my other leg, in the hamstrings is back with full vengance. Seems like Dr. B. told someone else that when we get leg related pain with PF, that is the rest of the body overcompensating. Oh, Dr. Z, I think told me that in an earlier thread. So, I just keep 'rotating' hurts.

I have come to the conclusion that I really need to make a BIG effort to find orthodics that work. So, I have an appt. on Wed. with an fully certified orthodist/PT who is highly reccommended by my PT.

It took two Lorcet pain pills, but I finally was able to znock out last night. I very rarely take them and only at bedtime, because I don't want to mask pain during my waking hours and make things worse. I woke up with a hung over feeling and remembered why I hate taking pain pills.

Two more angels of mercy are as we speak in route to Luby's to get me two days worth of Lu-Ann specials. I say today calls for mashed potatoes... my comfort food of choice.

As of yesterday, my house went officially on the market. I think my realtor is a real go-getter/big seller and really nice. He convinced me to list the house near my 'bottom' price to make it move faster.

Thank you for helping me through my fears yesterday. I don't think I am out of the woods, but at least I can walk so far today.
Beverly