Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF...now toe pain

Posted by Anne on 11/11/00 at 23:02 (032559)

I have suffered from PF for almost 20 years. It use to come and go, but for the past several years I have pain almost constantly. I've had 4 pair of orthodics made and bought every shoe imaginable. Now, I have begun to have pain in the joint under my right big toe....and in the past few weeks pain in the joint under my right index finger. This may be off the wall but do you think this can in any way be related to the foot pain?

Re: PF...now toe pain

Barbara TX on 11/12/00 at 00:37 (032562)

Anne - I'm not a doctor, but my PF pain became big toe joint pain as well. I do not have a bunion. I was diagnosed with something called Hallux Limitus (a stiff toe joint that has lost its range of motion). There is something also called Hallux Rigidus, which is worse and just what it sounds like. My chiropractor did some 'trigger point' work and adjustments to my big toe, anbd now it has regained its flexibility and has stopped hurting. The doctors might tell you more... Good luck to you as you solve your problem. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/00 at 07:03 (032572)

Reduction in motion at the big toe joint which Barbara from texas has explained better then when i was in school can cause pf. When the pain is
behind the big toe joint it could be a tendonitis or a sesamoiditis. The Flexor digitorium brevis tendon goes and attachs to the bones in that ara.

So you could have a problem with the big toe joint or a tendonitis of the flexors on the bottom of the joint. The hand problem may be osteoarthritis or a tendonits.

Heat to the area. No bare feet. Padding in that area to take the weight off of the big toe joint may help.

If all of this has been done. You many have to get into a shoe called a wedge darby shoe this is a shoe that is wedge so that no weight goes to the front of the foot.

Barbara TX on 11/12/00 at 00:37 (032562)

Anne - I'm not a doctor, but my PF pain became big toe joint pain as well. I do not have a bunion. I was diagnosed with something called Hallux Limitus (a stiff toe joint that has lost its range of motion). There is something also called Hallux Rigidus, which is worse and just what it sounds like. My chiropractor did some 'trigger point' work and adjustments to my big toe, anbd now it has regained its flexibility and has stopped hurting. The doctors might tell you more... Good luck to you as you solve your problem. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/00 at 07:03 (032572)

Reduction in motion at the big toe joint which Barbara from texas has explained better then when i was in school can cause pf. When the pain is
behind the big toe joint it could be a tendonitis or a sesamoiditis. The Flexor digitorium brevis tendon goes and attachs to the bones in that ara.

So you could have a problem with the big toe joint or a tendonitis of the flexors on the bottom of the joint. The hand problem may be osteoarthritis or a tendonits.

Heat to the area. No bare feet. Padding in that area to take the weight off of the big toe joint may help.

If all of this has been done. You many have to get into a shoe called a wedge darby shoe this is a shoe that is wedge so that no weight goes to the front of the foot.