Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Ibuprofen Cream help?

Posted by Scott R on 11/12/00 at 07:05 (032573)

If you have bought the Ibuprofen Cream, please respond here or email me at scott@heelspurs.com to let me know if it did or did not worked.

Re: Does Ibuprofen Cream help?

Anna J on 11/12/00 at 17:35 (032622)

Scott - Ibuprofen gel is one of the various things I have tried to combat the foot pain. However, all it did for me was make my foot itch! The tablets are better, if a little on the expensive side (GP forgot to mention they were cheaper OTC!). One of the things that has brought me (momentary) relief is alternating a bag of frozen peas and a hot water bottle on the foot.
Any advice on whether I should rest the foot or try to keep walking on it. When I rest it, the pain on standing up again tends to be worse than before I sat down!
Anna

Julie F on 11/14/00 at 01:29 (032699)

Anna, please don't walk through the pain. Walk when you absolutely need to, and rest when you don't. Again, read the PF book. My very good luck was to discover this site early on in my PF 'career', and to learn from it that walking or running through the pain has caused many cases to become longterm and chronic. Do be careful: PF is an injury and like any injury needs rest and time in order to heal. During the resting/healing period non weight-bearing strengthening exercises are needed so that the muscles don't weaken through lack of activity.

Pain that is worse after sitting is, like first-thing-in-the-morning pain, one of the classic signs of PF. Spend a few moments stretching before you stand up. Gentle dorsiflexion/plantar flexion (bending the foot backwards and forwards), curling and spreading the toes, gently circling the foot at the ankle, as long as they don't hurt, will help you avoid that intense pain on standing. Once you get up, just stand still for a bit before walking off. I and others have found that this helps.

Anna J on 11/12/00 at 17:35 (032622)

Scott - Ibuprofen gel is one of the various things I have tried to combat the foot pain. However, all it did for me was make my foot itch! The tablets are better, if a little on the expensive side (GP forgot to mention they were cheaper OTC!). One of the things that has brought me (momentary) relief is alternating a bag of frozen peas and a hot water bottle on the foot.
Any advice on whether I should rest the foot or try to keep walking on it. When I rest it, the pain on standing up again tends to be worse than before I sat down!
Anna

Julie F on 11/14/00 at 01:29 (032699)

Anna, please don't walk through the pain. Walk when you absolutely need to, and rest when you don't. Again, read the PF book. My very good luck was to discover this site early on in my PF 'career', and to learn from it that walking or running through the pain has caused many cases to become longterm and chronic. Do be careful: PF is an injury and like any injury needs rest and time in order to heal. During the resting/healing period non weight-bearing strengthening exercises are needed so that the muscles don't weaken through lack of activity.

Pain that is worse after sitting is, like first-thing-in-the-morning pain, one of the classic signs of PF. Spend a few moments stretching before you stand up. Gentle dorsiflexion/plantar flexion (bending the foot backwards and forwards), curling and spreading the toes, gently circling the foot at the ankle, as long as they don't hurt, will help you avoid that intense pain on standing. Once you get up, just stand still for a bit before walking off. I and others have found that this helps.