Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post surgery update

Posted by Mrs.Grinch on 11/13/00 at 16:36 (032670)

Hello again! I am 5 weeks post surgery now (open PF release & heelspur excision)and I think I've had a set back. The incision has healed pretty well except one small spot that is still a little weepy and tender. However - after I walk for 1/2 hour the outer edges of my heel starts to ache something awful. Is this just because I am not walking normally even though I am trying to or is it something else or is this just a typical recovery? Last week I could be on it for almost a whole day alternately walking, standing, sitting. I am scheduled to return to work in 2 weeks but I am pretty sure I won't be able to handle 7.5 hrs of walking even in 2 weeks. Should I ask for a referral to PT? Would it help?

Re: Post surgery update

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 02:16 (032703)

Hi,

If you don't have a sitting job then work is out. This could take up to six months, You need to be in a boot cast.

Dan L on 11/14/00 at 20:04 (032753)

5 weeks post op? PLEASE learn from my mistake. Stay off your feet!!!! That's not meant to be rude. I just don't want ANYBODY to suffer as I have. I'm 9 months post-op and was walking (only barely....1 or 2 minutes at a time 2 weeks after surgery) yet managed to damage my feet even more. Again, give your feet time to heal........pretty please. Best wishes!!

Shari on 11/14/00 at 20:37 (032755)

>
I just had PF surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago and went back to work after 6 days using a walking boot cast. Maybe my surgery wasn't as intense as yours and I don't have to be on my feet all day for my job. But, my doctor told me today that I should use my foot as much as possible, while being cautious of course. I have pain, but I am able to walk carefully on my foot with and without the boot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 23:14 (032764)

I found out over the past twenty years that too much too soon is going to make the healing process take along time . The use of the boot cast should be used when you are on your feet alot for the next six weeks. There was a study done that the patients that used the boot cast times three weeks all the time, healed and did better then the patients without any cast. This was with EPF,

Tim on 11/18/00 at 11:24 (033013)

I had top of foot fusion middle of Aug. Have been using boot since Oct. 4th and PT..My foot still is swollen on top and ankle. Bone still is raised much higher on top of foot that surgery was also supposed to correct. Are these conditions normal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 02:16 (032703)

Hi,

If you don't have a sitting job then work is out. This could take up to six months, You need to be in a boot cast.

Dan L on 11/14/00 at 20:04 (032753)

5 weeks post op? PLEASE learn from my mistake. Stay off your feet!!!! That's not meant to be rude. I just don't want ANYBODY to suffer as I have. I'm 9 months post-op and was walking (only barely....1 or 2 minutes at a time 2 weeks after surgery) yet managed to damage my feet even more. Again, give your feet time to heal........pretty please. Best wishes!!

Shari on 11/14/00 at 20:37 (032755)

>
I just had PF surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago and went back to work after 6 days using a walking boot cast. Maybe my surgery wasn't as intense as yours and I don't have to be on my feet all day for my job. But, my doctor told me today that I should use my foot as much as possible, while being cautious of course. I have pain, but I am able to walk carefully on my foot with and without the boot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 23:14 (032764)

I found out over the past twenty years that too much too soon is going to make the healing process take along time . The use of the boot cast should be used when you are on your feet alot for the next six weeks. There was a study done that the patients that used the boot cast times three weeks all the time, healed and did better then the patients without any cast. This was with EPF,

Tim on 11/18/00 at 11:24 (033013)

I had top of foot fusion middle of Aug. Have been using boot since Oct. 4th and PT..My foot still is swollen on top and ankle. Bone still is raised much higher on top of foot that surgery was also supposed to correct. Are these conditions normal?