Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

great advice, now tell that to the therapist

Posted by Paula on 11/13/00 at 18:25 (032677)

Message Number 32679
Re: What has helped me most? View Thread
Posted by Kay S on 11/13/00 at 18:58

Since I haven't read your 'story' yet, I have just pieced it together from some of your messages. I am heartened by the fact that however you started out, you are better now, and that is just wonderful---for you, and for those of us who need some thread of hope to hang onto. But the thing that was most interesting to me was that you mentioned you had battled breast cancer. So did I, three years ago, and had surgery, chemo, the whole deal. I'm fine now, but find it ironic that I never felt I needed a support group for the cancer, but this foot thing has really knocked me down and I am very grateful for this site. I have had the foot pain for about five years, got the cancer in the middle of all of that, and still think the foot pain has been worse in many ways. Strange, huh? Anyway, I will keep in mind the things that helped you and in my search for some relief will remember them. Thanks.

Re: great advice, now tell that to the therapist

Barbara TX on 11/13/00 at 22:49 (032694)

Fire that therapist. Anyone who threatens to push you until you throw up or faint belongs in a cage - not around your feet. This sounds really weird to me. You need massages, long naps, gentle stretches and gentle weightbearing. This cruel treatment CAN'T be right for you. How can you call this therapy if all you feel is worse? What's the point of that? Wipe those tears and get yourself a gentle person. B.

Beverly on 11/13/00 at 22:50 (032695)

I am not a medical person... just another patient. I can tell you about my experience. I have a wonderful and well meaning physical therapist. He felt that it was time to put me on the Total Gym. This was about two months ago.
This along with the recumbant bike would be my first attempt at exercise, other than passive stretches, in six months. At the time I had bilateral PT and PTT. Each machine was set for five minutes. That seemed mild enough, but I had real reservations about the Total Gym. It just didn't look like a good idea. But wanting to be a 'compliant patient,' I did it anyway. After a week, I started having pain in my right hamstrings. At first I didn't make the connection. But it came after starting the Total Gym. Doctor diagnosed me as a hamstring strain and both he and PT said I should lay off the Total Gym and bike until it calmed down. That was six weeks ago, and I still have a miserable hamstring strain ontop of everything else.

My new motto is to listen to my own body and not let myself be talked into something I am not comfortable with.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Julie F on 11/14/00 at 02:05 (032701)

Dear Paula, please do not put up with this sadistic PT a minute longer. I agree with what Barbara and Beverley have said, and I think Beverley's experience of being a compliant patient and injuring herself as a result is one we should all take to heart. I had a similar, though not so painful experience: my podiatrist cut out heel lifts for me and I limped with them for several weeks. Then suddenly I realized - don't ask me how - that they weren't helping me, I got rid of them, and began to improve immediately.

There are two things at work here - our intense desire to be free of pain and to try anything and everything that might contribute to that end, and consequently the trust even the most sceptical of us put in doctors and other helpers. I am more and more convinced that for our safety and our sanity we really must be the final judges of what helps and what doesn't. Trust your pain to tell you - and trust your instincts. And find another PT as soon as possible.

All the best, Julie

wendyn on 11/14/00 at 08:16 (032713)

Paula, I do support what others have said about finda a comppasionate therapsit and doctor - but I do have a few questions.....

Are you saying you are only weight bearing in the pool? Do you mean you are not weight bearing outside of the pool? What are they making you do in the pool - and for how long? What was the final diagnosis on what you had?

What is your normal activity outside the pool? Are you not walking at all? How is your overall health and fitness level normally - and aside from your feet?

With so many people posting here it can be tough to keep track of what's happening to who? (whom?)

Barbara TX on 11/13/00 at 22:49 (032694)

Fire that therapist. Anyone who threatens to push you until you throw up or faint belongs in a cage - not around your feet. This sounds really weird to me. You need massages, long naps, gentle stretches and gentle weightbearing. This cruel treatment CAN'T be right for you. How can you call this therapy if all you feel is worse? What's the point of that? Wipe those tears and get yourself a gentle person. B.

Beverly on 11/13/00 at 22:50 (032695)

I am not a medical person... just another patient. I can tell you about my experience. I have a wonderful and well meaning physical therapist. He felt that it was time to put me on the Total Gym. This was about two months ago.
This along with the recumbant bike would be my first attempt at exercise, other than passive stretches, in six months. At the time I had bilateral PT and PTT. Each machine was set for five minutes. That seemed mild enough, but I had real reservations about the Total Gym. It just didn't look like a good idea. But wanting to be a 'compliant patient,' I did it anyway. After a week, I started having pain in my right hamstrings. At first I didn't make the connection. But it came after starting the Total Gym. Doctor diagnosed me as a hamstring strain and both he and PT said I should lay off the Total Gym and bike until it calmed down. That was six weeks ago, and I still have a miserable hamstring strain ontop of everything else.

My new motto is to listen to my own body and not let myself be talked into something I am not comfortable with.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Julie F on 11/14/00 at 02:05 (032701)

Dear Paula, please do not put up with this sadistic PT a minute longer. I agree with what Barbara and Beverley have said, and I think Beverley's experience of being a compliant patient and injuring herself as a result is one we should all take to heart. I had a similar, though not so painful experience: my podiatrist cut out heel lifts for me and I limped with them for several weeks. Then suddenly I realized - don't ask me how - that they weren't helping me, I got rid of them, and began to improve immediately.

There are two things at work here - our intense desire to be free of pain and to try anything and everything that might contribute to that end, and consequently the trust even the most sceptical of us put in doctors and other helpers. I am more and more convinced that for our safety and our sanity we really must be the final judges of what helps and what doesn't. Trust your pain to tell you - and trust your instincts. And find another PT as soon as possible.

All the best, Julie

wendyn on 11/14/00 at 08:16 (032713)

Paula, I do support what others have said about finda a comppasionate therapsit and doctor - but I do have a few questions.....

Are you saying you are only weight bearing in the pool? Do you mean you are not weight bearing outside of the pool? What are they making you do in the pool - and for how long? What was the final diagnosis on what you had?

What is your normal activity outside the pool? Are you not walking at all? How is your overall health and fitness level normally - and aside from your feet?

With so many people posting here it can be tough to keep track of what's happening to who? (whom?)