Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Frustrating visit to doctor but getting MRI

Posted by Beverly on 11/14/00 at 10:24 (032721)

Hi!

My good news is that after visiting doctor's office this morning, I left with a script for an MRI of both feet to be done next Wednesday. Yipee!
It only took eight months. I've had several to upperbody... no fears...

But overall, the visit was frustrating! Last week when I called I specificially said, 'I want to see THE DOCTOR and not the PA, no matter how nice or good he is. I feel like I need to see the doctor. I hurt so much I'm not even driving.' I was under the impression that was who I would see.

I get there this morning, and guess who walks into my room? The PA. A nice guy with a great bedside manner who seems knowledgeable, but he was not the doctor.

PA said my feet looked okay. No sign of impending rupture. He poked around and said they seem less tender. That is the same thing he said two weeks ago before he gave me the shots. Just because they are less tender to the touch does not mean they hurt any less when I am on them!

I showed him my miserable hamstring strain once again. I had to refresh his memory on it. He examined it and said it is strained and probably has some small tears. That time and taking it easy is about all you can do for a hamstring strain/tear. Said it would take three or four months to calm down... do very gentle stretches as directed by PT. And told me to resume my foot stretches. He didn't seem to have any ideas about the funny moving feeling I still occassionally feel when walking on my feet... left foot.

He offered the MRI. I jumped at the opportunity. Beyond that, he didn't seem to know what else to do with me except to say that if the MRI does not give us answers, he can refer me to a pain clinic where I can get that long awaited nerve block and perhaps acupuncture.

At the very end of the visit, the doctor peaked his head in, but never examined me. I just had enough time to say I was still miserable. The guy just stood a few feet inside the door for about three minutes.

I am rethinking my opinion on who the best doctor is for chronic PF. I no longer think an orthopedic surgeon is the only way to go. Compared to hip replacements, I am dull, dull, dull!!!! I think the best doctor is the one who has a sincere and driving interest in chronic plantar fascitis and keeps up with the latest treatment trends. Dr. Z. and B. are good examples.

Oh, one last disappointing note. I asked for a six month handicap parking sticker. A few months ago he gave me a two month script for a tempo. It wasn't worth standing in line for. I've actually been using a friend's borrowed one. Okay, yep, I'm illegal. PA told me that if my diagnosis stays PF, he can't help me, because Texas laws were recently tightened and don't include PF for handicap parking! Fortunately, my friend is letting me keep her portable one that is good until 2003, but I hate being illegal. I'd like my own.

So that's about it.
Beverly

Re: Frustrating visit to doctor but getting MRI

Barbara TX on 11/14/00 at 11:19 (032727)

Please, have no doubts about using the permit. I see so many people abusing the system who really can walk from a regular parking space. It is for people who are really in pain - like you. Keep in mind that you are obeying the 'spirit' of the law. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 19:01 (032749)

I just gave you an internet parking permit. It is good for the end of time or whenever the foot is find. So glad you are getting the mri. i use to think that they were just ok and that i knew exactly what it was going to show. Some times you think you know it all but the MRI can point you in the right direction for a better treatment plan.

Barbara TX on 11/14/00 at 11:19 (032727)

Please, have no doubts about using the permit. I see so many people abusing the system who really can walk from a regular parking space. It is for people who are really in pain - like you. Keep in mind that you are obeying the 'spirit' of the law. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/14/00 at 19:01 (032749)

I just gave you an internet parking permit. It is good for the end of time or whenever the foot is find. So glad you are getting the mri. i use to think that they were just ok and that i knew exactly what it was going to show. Some times you think you know it all but the MRI can point you in the right direction for a better treatment plan.