Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new diagnosis, unsure if correct and of best steps

Posted by Nanci A. on 11/14/00 at 17:54 (032740)

I was just diagnosed with pf by a new Kaiser dr. who I wasn't too crazy about. I'm wondering if I REALLY have it, or if it's possibly something else -- esp. after reading this site for a while.

I don't have more pain in the morning, I'm not particularly overweight, I can lift the balls of my feet up >30 degrees, and the pain started in the center of the bottom of my feet under/just behind the ball. The bottom of my foot nearer the back is sore, but not as bad as that arch/ball area.

When I first felt this pain (which is tingly/sore) about 2 weeks ago, I thought I must not be stretching my feet enough when I do aerobics and thus started stretching a lot around the house and so forth. A week later my left foot started hurting during aerobics, but it seemed to be focused on my ankle, which didn't really hurt that much but felt weak somehow.

Other info: I have sciatica (on side with the much-less-affected foot) and, since my pregnancies, tend in general to have joint injuries and many weird neurological things (my p.t. and otolaryngologist have both said I have a sensitive nervous system).

At any rate, a week later here I am. I've done no exercise and halfheartedly tried to keep off my feet (at home mom of 3 and 5 year old -- off my feet? YEAH RIGHT!). I went to the dr today. She prescribed ice, naproxen (sp?), dr. sholls ( I bought dyna step), better shoes, as much rest as possible, no heat, calf stretches and said it would take a couple of months. She didn't say anything about my ankle which still has a kind of weird, off-on again, fragile kind of pain on my left foot -- does pf radiate up??

So, here are my questions (and thank you very much for your attention to this long message):

Are my symptom patterns normal for pf? Second opinion needed?
Treatment recommended good/sufficient?

Thank you very much.