Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

antibiotics and heel pain

Posted by jane on 11/15/00 at 20:43 (032811)

I have taken antibiotics for 2 days now and my heels don't hurt as much as usual. could antibiotics affect heel pain??? or is this just a coincidence?

Re: antibiotics and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/15/00 at 21:36 (032817)

I have seen this before. I had a patient in the last year that had heel
pain, did everything for her. Was going to do ESWT. She went into the hospital for an unrelated infection. They gave her Cipro IV . The heel pain went away . completely gone. The only thing that i can think of is that Cipro is noted for achilles tendon rupture. Maybe there was a rip in the pf microtear just like ESWT produces and then it healed. This makes sense but I can't prove this. Anyway she is cured (without pain) and had severe pain on physical examination before antibiotics now no pain on examination. Another hypothesis is that she rested in hospital bed and the thing healed. Or that the natural history of pf pain healing just happened. So this is all I know about this at this time. don't use antibiotic as a treatment for pf at this time. I have no prove that it is the reason for using it.

Re: antibiotics and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/15/00 at 21:36 (032817)

I have seen this before. I had a patient in the last year that had heel
pain, did everything for her. Was going to do ESWT. She went into the hospital for an unrelated infection. They gave her Cipro IV . The heel pain went away . completely gone. The only thing that i can think of is that Cipro is noted for achilles tendon rupture. Maybe there was a rip in the pf microtear just like ESWT produces and then it healed. This makes sense but I can't prove this. Anyway she is cured (without pain) and had severe pain on physical examination before antibiotics now no pain on examination. Another hypothesis is that she rested in hospital bed and the thing healed. Or that the natural history of pf pain healing just happened. So this is all I know about this at this time. don't use antibiotic as a treatment for pf at this time. I have no prove that it is the reason for using it.