Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics and motion control shoes

Posted by wendyn on 11/15/00 at 23:29 (032828)

Richard - I'd really like your opinion on an article I read regarding motion control shoes.

It said that someone can use motion control shoes - OR orthotics, but that orthotics are not meant to be used IN motion control shoes. It went on to explain that orthotics are used to control motion, and if you put them in a motion control shoe, the foot isn't moving at all.

I found this really interesting, because a year and a half ago I bougt New Balance motion control shoes (medium control) for use with my orthotics on the advice of my PT. Shortly after, my foot pain which was already bad - became much worse. I gave up on the New Balance shoes last September and switched to Birks.

Re: Orthotics and motion control shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 11/16/00 at 07:51 (032841)

Wendy,
Where did you see the article? Would it be possible to scan it and email it to me? I am not a computer guy, so I don't know if it would be possible.
Richard

wendyn on 11/16/00 at 08:58 (032844)

It's an article by a podiatrist in a local magazine. I have it at home - I don't have a scanner - but I could retype most of it and mail it to you. Do you agree with this guys statements?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/16/00 at 11:19 (032849)

Not sure. That is why I would like to read what he wrote. I don't want to put you out by having you type all of it. Do you have access to a fax?
Richard

wendyn on 11/16/00 at 13:04 (032854)

If you email me at home with your fax and or mailing address I'll get it to you. mailwendy1@home.com

Richard, C.Ped on 11/16/00 at 07:51 (032841)

Wendy,
Where did you see the article? Would it be possible to scan it and email it to me? I am not a computer guy, so I don't know if it would be possible.
Richard

wendyn on 11/16/00 at 08:58 (032844)

It's an article by a podiatrist in a local magazine. I have it at home - I don't have a scanner - but I could retype most of it and mail it to you. Do you agree with this guys statements?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/16/00 at 11:19 (032849)

Not sure. That is why I would like to read what he wrote. I don't want to put you out by having you type all of it. Do you have access to a fax?
Richard

wendyn on 11/16/00 at 13:04 (032854)

If you email me at home with your fax and or mailing address I'll get it to you. mailwendy1@home.com

Re: Orthotics and chairs

Julie on 7/11/01 at 14:55 (052844)

I'm sure you're right about the chairs, Nancy. In the upright chair, his feet planted on the floor would be dorsiflexed and the calf muscles slightly stretched, just as with the night splint; in the recliner they'd be hanging (plantarflexed) and the calf muscles would be contracted. The perfect recipe for first-step pain.

I agree with both of you about the orthotics. It may have been just the change that made him feel better - the wrong inserts would very likely cause trouble in the longer (and maybe not-so-long) term.

Re: Orthotics and chairs

Julie on 7/11/01 at 14:55 (052844)

I'm sure you're right about the chairs, Nancy. In the upright chair, his feet planted on the floor would be dorsiflexed and the calf muscles slightly stretched, just as with the night splint; in the recliner they'd be hanging (plantarflexed) and the calf muscles would be contracted. The perfect recipe for first-step pain.

I agree with both of you about the orthotics. It may have been just the change that made him feel better - the wrong inserts would very likely cause trouble in the longer (and maybe not-so-long) term.