Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

will physiotherapy help?

Posted by Anna J on 11/16/00 at 07:19 (032837)

I went to my GP this morning to discuss steroid injections with him. He was keen to give me my third set since March of this year and I pointed out that I was not too happy about this. He warned me against 'self-diagnosing' and referred me to the hospital for physiotherapy. all this without even asking me to remove my sock!
So I have not had the injections. Current diagnosis is still PF but with the possibility of some posterior fibular something or the other (I was so upset at this point that it didn't really sink in!) or maybe a stress fracture, but no Xray was suggested. I have been advised to do wall stretches until my physio appointment comes through, pull my toes in different directions before I get out of bed in the morning and buy some insoles from the local chemist to make sure I walk straight. I am hoping the hospital appointment does not take too long but from past experience with this particular hospital, it is likely to be months rather than weeks.
What are the physiotherapists likely to do to me? Is physio usually an effective treatment for PF? will these insoles do more harm than good and if it is a fracture as was suggested, should i not be in plaster at this point?! and is there anything I can do to help myself in the meantime - it has only been 2 weeks since this flared up again but I don't know how much longer I can face it.
Sorry for all the questions but I am getting kind of desperate here. And why don't any of the doctors in the UK know anything about PF or accept that it causes excruciating pain?
Thanks in advance
Anna

Re: will physiotherapy help?

Dr. Biehler on 11/16/00 at 09:04 (032845)

If the steroid shots worked in the past, it means you still are capable to heel your PF injury. If this is the same problem, it seems you are prone to reinjure this site. You need to find out what is causing the reinjury. It could be as simple as changing shoes to ones with more support is all you need. The physiotherapy usually helps strech out the muscles ( if they need it ) and some form of heat to get the healing blood to the damaged area. Remember to take it easy as the PF needs time to heal. Think of it as sprain on the bottom of your foot. Ice for pain and swelling and use shoes that provide arch support and do not exercise through the pain. Dr. B.

AmyM on 11/16/00 at 16:11 (032863)

I'm yet to find a doc or physio sympathetic to pf in the uk
I live in hope ( although not much!)

Dr. Biehler on 11/16/00 at 09:04 (032845)

If the steroid shots worked in the past, it means you still are capable to heel your PF injury. If this is the same problem, it seems you are prone to reinjure this site. You need to find out what is causing the reinjury. It could be as simple as changing shoes to ones with more support is all you need. The physiotherapy usually helps strech out the muscles ( if they need it ) and some form of heat to get the healing blood to the damaged area. Remember to take it easy as the PF needs time to heal. Think of it as sprain on the bottom of your foot. Ice for pain and swelling and use shoes that provide arch support and do not exercise through the pain. Dr. B.

AmyM on 11/16/00 at 16:11 (032863)

I'm yet to find a doc or physio sympathetic to pf in the uk
I live in hope ( although not much!)