Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

On-line POD TODAY

Posted by Barbara TX on 11/17/00 at 17:04 (032958)

Feet-people: the October issue of Podiatry today is now On-line. This one covers heel pain as its main topic. This link is:

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/archive/pod_200010/pod_200010toc.html

B.

Re: On-line POD TODAY

Steve P on 11/17/00 at 18:00 (032963)

Hi Barb. I think it's been a month or so since your ESWT treatment. (????) How beneficial do you think it has been?

thanks..........Steve

wendyn on 11/17/00 at 20:38 (032976)

Thank you Barbara - excellent article on the causes of TTS. Also - anyone taking the TTS surgery too lightly may want to look at the pictures for sober second thought. Yikes. Excellent description about the symptoms and difficulty in diagnosis - I thought it could have gone more into detail on the surgical prognosis though.

Kay S on 11/18/00 at 15:28 (033025)

Maybe the reason they didn't go into too much detail about the surgical prognosis is because it is something like 50% success rate. You know I had this surgery in Sept. and unfortunately, I fall into the wrong 50%ile. So I don't think I would have it done again, and I WAS planning to have it done in my other foot. But I also have some other things besides tarsal tunnel, like pf, and maybe if a person just has that, it could be more advantageous to have it done.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/18/00 at 19:06 (033032)

I would go for the plantar fascia release and or ESWT before TTS release. unless I could give the patient 80% sucess for relief. This would mean that I would have to be at least 80% sucessful in my evaluation that a persno hasTTS. One of the first patients that i used ESWT had pf and TTS. We did ESWT for relief no relief at all. I knew he had TTS but he just could take the time to have TTS surgery. It you are true TTS then no ESWT. In your case Kay you are a good candidate because you had the TTS release. So it has to be the pf and the TTS both or it wasn't the TTS and it was the PF. So if there isn't any nerve entrapment and I do believe that Dr. k is one of the best at doing TTS surgery then it has to be pf. i will take a look at an operativ report which would tell my exactly what structures were viewed and release. It should talk about the first branch of the lateral plantar nerve in the operative report.

Re: TESTING FOR STEVE

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:15 (033157)

Okay, Steve. Since you are the big shot who has got his own message board, I will do an on-line up-to the minute ESWT test, at your behest. Right now, while sitting in front of my ancient computer, I will perform the press test on the bottom of my heel....

Downloading....

Completed. I pressed as hard as I could on the bottom of my heel, right in the place where Dr. Z treated it (dead center). I am almost pain-free in that spot, aside from a little electric-shock sensation. However, if I press more toward the inside arch.... 'OUCH!' I think that I still have some lateral band problems (is that the name for that band of the pf on the inside of the foot, or outside?) and another spot may need to be treated. I am still in a holding pattern here, wondering what to do. I have achilles tendonitis which messes up the perception of pain in the treated part of my foot that makes deciding about all this stuff very difficult.

Steve: What is your magic formula for getting people to do your bidding? you are truly king of the foot-board. B.

Steve P on 11/17/00 at 18:00 (032963)

Hi Barb. I think it's been a month or so since your ESWT treatment. (????) How beneficial do you think it has been?

thanks..........Steve

wendyn on 11/17/00 at 20:38 (032976)

Thank you Barbara - excellent article on the causes of TTS. Also - anyone taking the TTS surgery too lightly may want to look at the pictures for sober second thought. Yikes. Excellent description about the symptoms and difficulty in diagnosis - I thought it could have gone more into detail on the surgical prognosis though.

Kay S on 11/18/00 at 15:28 (033025)

Maybe the reason they didn't go into too much detail about the surgical prognosis is because it is something like 50% success rate. You know I had this surgery in Sept. and unfortunately, I fall into the wrong 50%ile. So I don't think I would have it done again, and I WAS planning to have it done in my other foot. But I also have some other things besides tarsal tunnel, like pf, and maybe if a person just has that, it could be more advantageous to have it done.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/18/00 at 19:06 (033032)

I would go for the plantar fascia release and or ESWT before TTS release. unless I could give the patient 80% sucess for relief. This would mean that I would have to be at least 80% sucessful in my evaluation that a persno hasTTS. One of the first patients that i used ESWT had pf and TTS. We did ESWT for relief no relief at all. I knew he had TTS but he just could take the time to have TTS surgery. It you are true TTS then no ESWT. In your case Kay you are a good candidate because you had the TTS release. So it has to be the pf and the TTS both or it wasn't the TTS and it was the PF. So if there isn't any nerve entrapment and I do believe that Dr. k is one of the best at doing TTS surgery then it has to be pf. i will take a look at an operativ report which would tell my exactly what structures were viewed and release. It should talk about the first branch of the lateral plantar nerve in the operative report.

Re: TESTING FOR STEVE

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:15 (033157)

Okay, Steve. Since you are the big shot who has got his own message board, I will do an on-line up-to the minute ESWT test, at your behest. Right now, while sitting in front of my ancient computer, I will perform the press test on the bottom of my heel....

Downloading....

Completed. I pressed as hard as I could on the bottom of my heel, right in the place where Dr. Z treated it (dead center). I am almost pain-free in that spot, aside from a little electric-shock sensation. However, if I press more toward the inside arch.... 'OUCH!' I think that I still have some lateral band problems (is that the name for that band of the pf on the inside of the foot, or outside?) and another spot may need to be treated. I am still in a holding pattern here, wondering what to do. I have achilles tendonitis which messes up the perception of pain in the treated part of my foot that makes deciding about all this stuff very difficult.

Steve: What is your magic formula for getting people to do your bidding? you are truly king of the foot-board. B.