Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Success Story

Posted by Bob G. on 11/17/00 at 23:51 (032986)

I am just plain happy!

Been out jogging twice in two days - after 16 months of serious rest (10 months) and comeback (6 months). Yesterday morning, I went out at sunrise to walk on the beach, felt good, did some jogging, was encouraged...that evening did more of the same. No pain.

Today, went for morning run. Okay.

The point being that this can be done. After months and months of rest and recovery.

It was tough going at first, used to jogging, not wanting to stop. Each day was an ordeal until I came to grips with 'letting go' and being okay with rest. At first, it was a day-to-day decision, should I rest today, or should I try? That was torture. Then I decided to let go and rest, even if it took months. That was the turning point, when I was able to rest for weeks, and months, without itching to try.

I was so used to brisk walking that I was not expecting to run. It just happened.

I still use the FootFlex and keep the nightsplint nearby, just in case.

Re: Success Story

Laurie R on 11/18/00 at 00:03 (032988)

Wow Bob this is so wonderful to hear.I bet this was one of the best days of your life. Keep up the good attitude .I like you believe in rest. It makes sence , you must rest to get better . Thanks for posting your wonderful story. My very best to you . Laurie R

Cheryl on 11/18/00 at 10:42 (033009)

Thanks Bob for the encouragement..I am going to try to check this board out.more often.. i am an 18 month sufferer and i am going thru the exact thing you've been thru.. i am so glad that your post was the first one i read...i was feeling good did a few things and bingo pain is back.. so you have made me feel good on such a bummer day thanks...

Anna J on 11/18/00 at 13:53 (033018)

Thanks for letting us know that there is light at the end of the tunnel Bob. I am so pleased for you.
Anna

Bob G. on 11/18/00 at 18:44 (033031)

Hi, Cheryl!

Thank you, I know how discouraging the pain can be at times. I had many set-backs along the way.

Just stay the course! BG

Julie F on 11/19/00 at 02:24 (033046)

Dear Bob

Thanks so much for posting your success story. It gives us all hope, and I'm thrilled for you. Yes, letting go is the key. Clinging to our expectations and desires is what sets up the emotional conflict and turmoil that ultimately cause greater stress than the physical pain. Letting go is the big lesson for all of us (and I don't mean just PF sufferers).

Congratulations!

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 11/19/00 at 22:28 (033112)

Thanks for this, Bob. I'm very happy for you! That run must've felt Wonderful.
Am I a johnny-come-lately on this thread or what.
'Letting go' is a big, important concept. I think I'm just starting to get the hang of it. That alone makes me happier than in a long while.
Nancy

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:33 (033161)

About dreams... I had a heartbreaking dream about running across my grandmother's lawn when I was a little girl - I could actaully feel the grass and the little violets that grew there crushing under my feet. I can try to control my thoughts during the day and try not to dwell on the past... but the dreams are very, very hard. B.

Laurie R on 11/18/00 at 00:03 (032988)

Wow Bob this is so wonderful to hear.I bet this was one of the best days of your life. Keep up the good attitude .I like you believe in rest. It makes sence , you must rest to get better . Thanks for posting your wonderful story. My very best to you . Laurie R

Cheryl on 11/18/00 at 10:42 (033009)

Thanks Bob for the encouragement..I am going to try to check this board out.more often.. i am an 18 month sufferer and i am going thru the exact thing you've been thru.. i am so glad that your post was the first one i read...i was feeling good did a few things and bingo pain is back.. so you have made me feel good on such a bummer day thanks...

Anna J on 11/18/00 at 13:53 (033018)

Thanks for letting us know that there is light at the end of the tunnel Bob. I am so pleased for you.
Anna

Bob G. on 11/18/00 at 18:44 (033031)

Hi, Cheryl!

Thank you, I know how discouraging the pain can be at times. I had many set-backs along the way.

Just stay the course! BG

Julie F on 11/19/00 at 02:24 (033046)

Dear Bob

Thanks so much for posting your success story. It gives us all hope, and I'm thrilled for you. Yes, letting go is the key. Clinging to our expectations and desires is what sets up the emotional conflict and turmoil that ultimately cause greater stress than the physical pain. Letting go is the big lesson for all of us (and I don't mean just PF sufferers).

Congratulations!

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 11/19/00 at 22:28 (033112)

Thanks for this, Bob. I'm very happy for you! That run must've felt Wonderful.
Am I a johnny-come-lately on this thread or what.
'Letting go' is a big, important concept. I think I'm just starting to get the hang of it. That alone makes me happier than in a long while.
Nancy

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:33 (033161)

About dreams... I had a heartbreaking dream about running across my grandmother's lawn when I was a little girl - I could actaully feel the grass and the little violets that grew there crushing under my feet. I can try to control my thoughts during the day and try not to dwell on the past... but the dreams are very, very hard. B.