Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

please give me hope!!!

Posted by Kevin B. on 11/18/00 at 12:40 (033014)

hi i am a college runner who developed this stupid injury two months ago due to poor training techniques and i've been reading this webpage constantly looking for articles or stories that would give me hope, and i've found few. are there many more cases, and most of the visitors to this site are chronic sufferers?? or am i doomed to stop running on my team and lose scholarship money and the sport that i truly enjoy? i also read somewhere that no high impact activities can be done, even after you are healed.....is this true?? if i EVER do heal, i will be expected to sprint in track spikes, which is obviously high impact. please, i am begging for any stories that would give me hope-- i am only 18 and love running and hate to think that i will have to give this up forever, especially for the next four years when i will enjoy it the most. if there are any other runners who are completely healed (which would probably not still be looking at this site), please write a response, because this site is making me very depressed. also, please tell me what products/techniques are working best and if it's possible to resume runnnig if the pain is very very mild. thank you for your support. sincerely, kevin

Re: please give me hope!!!

Nancy S. on 11/18/00 at 13:41 (033016)

Hi Kevin,
First of all, you have every reason to have hope -- you're just 18 years old, and your body can heal better and more quickly than most of us on this board.
It sounds like you've been taking some good conservative measures, and I know firsthand how LONG two months can seem, but even mild, not-unusual cases of PF seem to take between 3 and 6 months to heal, and sometimes longer. And I know how anxious you are to run, but Dr. Biehler was right when he told you not to run through the pain. It will only prolong your recovery.
Many of us didn't take good enough care of our feet when PF hit (for a variety of reasons), and that's one reason this site is depressing to you. I'm sorry it's depressing to you and I understand why it is -- but remember that most of us here have had this condition for many months. You haven't, and I truly hope you don't -- I hope you heal soon. You'll need to be patient, though. You probably hate that word. I did too!
You've mentioned your school's trainer, but are you under the care of a doctor? If I were you I would get myself pronto to a good sports med. doctor, who can oversee your situation close-up and give you guidance on what to try when. I hope you will do this right away.
I know someone in her 20s who is a runner and got PF last year. She followed her doc's instructions, also got good orthotics custom made for her feet, and she's back to running now.
I know this must be so hard on you, and I wish you all the best and a good recovery. Take care,
Nancy

Nancy N on 11/18/00 at 15:47 (033027)

Kevin--

Please don't be discouraged by this board. Did you see Bob's post about how he has just started to be able to run again? There is always hope. But you do need to be careful for a while so that you don't end up with an injury that's worse than what you have now and will take longer to heal. A little time now can buy you a lot of time later (it's that 'ounce of prevention/pound of cure' thing).

Nancy S is right about those of us who post to the boards regularly. We tend to be the long-term victims of PF, so we're more prone to bouts of anger or depression about the way we feel. But there are others who have success stories. My first case went away as soon as I got the right orthotics. Almost like magic. This time has, unfortunately, been another story. But I am still getting better, so hopefully it won't be long before life is back to 'normal.' But getting there can be tricky--what works for one person won't necessarily work for another with PF, sadly. So you do need to be patient and let your natural healing process do its thing. Rest is one way to help it do that. If you really want to run in the future, you need to restrain yourself now.

I also know a guy who ran before his PF, got good orthotics (not all orthotics are created equal!), and is now running again. So please keep your hopes up. Especially since you are so young, your chances are much better than they might otherwise be.

So--take care of yourself, and keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. It's there, even if you can't see it right now.

Pauline on 11/18/00 at 19:47 (033038)

Kevin,
Believe me you can beat PF it just takes time. Although I am not a runner
I have had two case now and both times they have gone away. I've been pain free almost 2 months now. My last case started in March. Patience
is the key, rest, stretching, Icing and everything else you read on this board.

Your very young and you will run again. I met a trainer of young runners a while back. He deals with this a lot and helps his teams with physical therapy and stretching. His kids run again, but not through the pain.
Find a good doctor, trainer etc. and follow the program they set you up on. In the long run it will pay off but please. please believe you will run again.

Julie F on 11/19/00 at 02:13 (033045)

Hi Kevin

I'd like to second everything the others have said. You're young, which means that your tissues are still very elastic and will heal more quickly than those of us older folk, and you realized quickly that you needed to deal with the problem and started doing so, which I think is the most important factor in healing. Be patient - I KNOW how hard that is, it's hard for me at 65, and it would have been a lot harder at 18 - and be sensible. Don't run through the pain, even if it's mild. The time you spend taking care of yourself now will pay off in the long term.

Now a couple of 'success' stories for you. A yoga student of mine, who is 30, told me that he got PF (from running) at 25. It healed in a month, he started running again, and he is still running. My own isn't quite a 'success' story yet, but I have what I think of as a 'mild' case. I've had it for three months, have been taking care of it, and am much better - I'd say about 75%.

Be patient, be sensible, and be hopeful.

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 11/19/00 at 22:24 (033111)

Kevin, do you have more hope yet? I've been thinking of you. Please keep us posted.
Best,
Nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 11/20/00 at 08:34 (033142)

Kevin,
My experience with athletes who run track with spikes are that their shoes are terrible. Track, soccer, football...it is

Richard, C.Ped on 11/20/00 at 08:34 (033143)

Kevin,
My experience with athletes who run track with spikes are that their shoes are terrible. Track, soccer, football...it is all the same. Most teams supply their athlets with their shoes. Other athletes in smaller schools are reqired to purchase the shoes themselves. Most of the time, they have to stick with a certain brand the school requires.

Anyway, my point about the shoes is that with PF, (considering that is your diagnosis) flimsy, pliable shoes are a huge HUGE astronomically big
NO-NO. What you are doing is just irritating the injury further. You want a shoe with a solid shank to keep it from bending in the middle. Hold the back of your shoe in the palm of your right hand. With your left, push on the toe. Where does the shoe bend? At the ball? At the middle? Bending in the middle is not good...for anyone. Bending at the ball is a pretty good shoe.

Most of the time, when I have an RX for custom orthotics for the athlete,
they tell me that the physician told them to rest, rest, rest.

My father-in-law, one of the partners in the business, has a great analogy that he tells patients and doctors. If you have a cut on your finger and constantly rub it every minute of every day, do you think it will heal? No, it will not. It will stay open and possibly get worse. If you stop the rubbing, moving and bending, will it heal? Almost always, yes. Now keep in mind that there are some cases that are worse than others, and may need years to heal. We just don't know. I am hoping one of the docs will give you some advice as well. At 18, you have youth on your side. I know you don't want your team to lose, or for you to have to stop running right now, but ask yourself....is chancing a more serious injury to your foot worth it? What is a little rest right now compared to a lifetime of pain?

I am not trying to scare you in any way, I just do not want you to hurt yourself further.

My advice would be to get with your team's trainer and discuss options. Set an appointment with the team's physician as well. Let us know what was suggested and how you are doing.
Richard, C.Ped

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:49 (033164)

Pauline!

I had no idea that you were pain free... were you the one who was asking Fr. Solanus Casey to help you??? B.

Kevin B. on 11/20/00 at 14:29 (033167)

thank you very much for your advice, Richard. however, i was not inquiring if i can be running in spikes at this present time.....hopefully there was a misunderstanding. i wanted to know if i will ever be able to wear spikes again, in a race, provided that i get better. hopefully in several weeks i will be able to race again, and from a runner's standpoint it is almost impossible to sprint in races without spikes. they are lighter and provide a good traction on the turns. hopefully there is a misunderstanding....please clarify if there was a mistake.

Kevin B. on 11/20/00 at 14:37 (033168)

i just wanted to post this to thank everyone who has responded to my cry for help. this has truly made me feel better and has given me hope. my school's foot doctor came in today and i asked her to examine my feet and she said that it is plantar fasciitis on my foot, but the fact that it is mild is a very good sign. i heated my foot and then massaged it with a dumbbell, and then the trainer taped it up to give me support for the arch and i went for a very slow run on grass (less than two miles) and felt no pain. i then put my feet in an ice whirlpool for ten minutes and although they were very cold, it has been two hours and i haven't felt any pain. i just wanted to offer my sincere thanks and let eveybody know how i was doing. i will probably be purchasing a new pair of sneakers and arch supports, and will get my feet taped the next time i run which probably will not be for another two days providing there is no pain. thanks again, i will be sure to keep you all updated. sincerely, kevin

Julie F on 11/20/00 at 17:05 (033175)

Kevin, I'm really glad we all made you feel better. But now I've got to tell you, even if it makes you feel worse again, that you really should not be running At All right now. 'less than two miles' is almost two miles too far. As several people on this board can testify, it was 'running (or walking) through the pain' that made their injury worse, and got their feet into a real mess.

Read Richard's post again. What's a little rest now compared to a lifetime of pain?

It shouldn't take long to heal if you are, but you're letting yourself in for a long haul if you aren't sensible and patient now.

All the best, Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/00 at 07:40 (033219)

Kevin, I wanted to stress the importance of well made shoes as well as rest. I know athletes, especially young 'hungry' ones. They tend to push themselves to far, even with injuries. I work with high school, college and semi-pro athletic teams, and they are almost all the same. They just want to get back out there and compete. Don't take offense, I was the same way at 18. Listen to your physicians. Listen to your trainer. Rest now so you can have a better chance for healing.
Richard, C.Ped

Nancy S. on 11/18/00 at 13:41 (033016)

Hi Kevin,
First of all, you have every reason to have hope -- you're just 18 years old, and your body can heal better and more quickly than most of us on this board.
It sounds like you've been taking some good conservative measures, and I know firsthand how LONG two months can seem, but even mild, not-unusual cases of PF seem to take between 3 and 6 months to heal, and sometimes longer. And I know how anxious you are to run, but Dr. Biehler was right when he told you not to run through the pain. It will only prolong your recovery.
Many of us didn't take good enough care of our feet when PF hit (for a variety of reasons), and that's one reason this site is depressing to you. I'm sorry it's depressing to you and I understand why it is -- but remember that most of us here have had this condition for many months. You haven't, and I truly hope you don't -- I hope you heal soon. You'll need to be patient, though. You probably hate that word. I did too!
You've mentioned your school's trainer, but are you under the care of a doctor? If I were you I would get myself pronto to a good sports med. doctor, who can oversee your situation close-up and give you guidance on what to try when. I hope you will do this right away.
I know someone in her 20s who is a runner and got PF last year. She followed her doc's instructions, also got good orthotics custom made for her feet, and she's back to running now.
I know this must be so hard on you, and I wish you all the best and a good recovery. Take care,
Nancy

Nancy N on 11/18/00 at 15:47 (033027)

Kevin--

Please don't be discouraged by this board. Did you see Bob's post about how he has just started to be able to run again? There is always hope. But you do need to be careful for a while so that you don't end up with an injury that's worse than what you have now and will take longer to heal. A little time now can buy you a lot of time later (it's that 'ounce of prevention/pound of cure' thing).

Nancy S is right about those of us who post to the boards regularly. We tend to be the long-term victims of PF, so we're more prone to bouts of anger or depression about the way we feel. But there are others who have success stories. My first case went away as soon as I got the right orthotics. Almost like magic. This time has, unfortunately, been another story. But I am still getting better, so hopefully it won't be long before life is back to 'normal.' But getting there can be tricky--what works for one person won't necessarily work for another with PF, sadly. So you do need to be patient and let your natural healing process do its thing. Rest is one way to help it do that. If you really want to run in the future, you need to restrain yourself now.

I also know a guy who ran before his PF, got good orthotics (not all orthotics are created equal!), and is now running again. So please keep your hopes up. Especially since you are so young, your chances are much better than they might otherwise be.

So--take care of yourself, and keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. It's there, even if you can't see it right now.

Pauline on 11/18/00 at 19:47 (033038)

Kevin,
Believe me you can beat PF it just takes time. Although I am not a runner
I have had two case now and both times they have gone away. I've been pain free almost 2 months now. My last case started in March. Patience
is the key, rest, stretching, Icing and everything else you read on this board.

Your very young and you will run again. I met a trainer of young runners a while back. He deals with this a lot and helps his teams with physical therapy and stretching. His kids run again, but not through the pain.
Find a good doctor, trainer etc. and follow the program they set you up on. In the long run it will pay off but please. please believe you will run again.

Julie F on 11/19/00 at 02:13 (033045)

Hi Kevin

I'd like to second everything the others have said. You're young, which means that your tissues are still very elastic and will heal more quickly than those of us older folk, and you realized quickly that you needed to deal with the problem and started doing so, which I think is the most important factor in healing. Be patient - I KNOW how hard that is, it's hard for me at 65, and it would have been a lot harder at 18 - and be sensible. Don't run through the pain, even if it's mild. The time you spend taking care of yourself now will pay off in the long term.

Now a couple of 'success' stories for you. A yoga student of mine, who is 30, told me that he got PF (from running) at 25. It healed in a month, he started running again, and he is still running. My own isn't quite a 'success' story yet, but I have what I think of as a 'mild' case. I've had it for three months, have been taking care of it, and am much better - I'd say about 75%.

Be patient, be sensible, and be hopeful.

All the best, Julie

Nancy S. on 11/19/00 at 22:24 (033111)

Kevin, do you have more hope yet? I've been thinking of you. Please keep us posted.
Best,
Nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 11/20/00 at 08:34 (033142)

Kevin,
My experience with athletes who run track with spikes are that their shoes are terrible. Track, soccer, football...it is

Richard, C.Ped on 11/20/00 at 08:34 (033143)

Kevin,
My experience with athletes who run track with spikes are that their shoes are terrible. Track, soccer, football...it is all the same. Most teams supply their athlets with their shoes. Other athletes in smaller schools are reqired to purchase the shoes themselves. Most of the time, they have to stick with a certain brand the school requires.

Anyway, my point about the shoes is that with PF, (considering that is your diagnosis) flimsy, pliable shoes are a huge HUGE astronomically big
NO-NO. What you are doing is just irritating the injury further. You want a shoe with a solid shank to keep it from bending in the middle. Hold the back of your shoe in the palm of your right hand. With your left, push on the toe. Where does the shoe bend? At the ball? At the middle? Bending in the middle is not good...for anyone. Bending at the ball is a pretty good shoe.

Most of the time, when I have an RX for custom orthotics for the athlete,
they tell me that the physician told them to rest, rest, rest.

My father-in-law, one of the partners in the business, has a great analogy that he tells patients and doctors. If you have a cut on your finger and constantly rub it every minute of every day, do you think it will heal? No, it will not. It will stay open and possibly get worse. If you stop the rubbing, moving and bending, will it heal? Almost always, yes. Now keep in mind that there are some cases that are worse than others, and may need years to heal. We just don't know. I am hoping one of the docs will give you some advice as well. At 18, you have youth on your side. I know you don't want your team to lose, or for you to have to stop running right now, but ask yourself....is chancing a more serious injury to your foot worth it? What is a little rest right now compared to a lifetime of pain?

I am not trying to scare you in any way, I just do not want you to hurt yourself further.

My advice would be to get with your team's trainer and discuss options. Set an appointment with the team's physician as well. Let us know what was suggested and how you are doing.
Richard, C.Ped

Barbara TX on 11/20/00 at 12:49 (033164)

Pauline!

I had no idea that you were pain free... were you the one who was asking Fr. Solanus Casey to help you??? B.

Kevin B. on 11/20/00 at 14:29 (033167)

thank you very much for your advice, Richard. however, i was not inquiring if i can be running in spikes at this present time.....hopefully there was a misunderstanding. i wanted to know if i will ever be able to wear spikes again, in a race, provided that i get better. hopefully in several weeks i will be able to race again, and from a runner's standpoint it is almost impossible to sprint in races without spikes. they are lighter and provide a good traction on the turns. hopefully there is a misunderstanding....please clarify if there was a mistake.

Kevin B. on 11/20/00 at 14:37 (033168)

i just wanted to post this to thank everyone who has responded to my cry for help. this has truly made me feel better and has given me hope. my school's foot doctor came in today and i asked her to examine my feet and she said that it is plantar fasciitis on my foot, but the fact that it is mild is a very good sign. i heated my foot and then massaged it with a dumbbell, and then the trainer taped it up to give me support for the arch and i went for a very slow run on grass (less than two miles) and felt no pain. i then put my feet in an ice whirlpool for ten minutes and although they were very cold, it has been two hours and i haven't felt any pain. i just wanted to offer my sincere thanks and let eveybody know how i was doing. i will probably be purchasing a new pair of sneakers and arch supports, and will get my feet taped the next time i run which probably will not be for another two days providing there is no pain. thanks again, i will be sure to keep you all updated. sincerely, kevin

Julie F on 11/20/00 at 17:05 (033175)

Kevin, I'm really glad we all made you feel better. But now I've got to tell you, even if it makes you feel worse again, that you really should not be running At All right now. 'less than two miles' is almost two miles too far. As several people on this board can testify, it was 'running (or walking) through the pain' that made their injury worse, and got their feet into a real mess.

Read Richard's post again. What's a little rest now compared to a lifetime of pain?

It shouldn't take long to heal if you are, but you're letting yourself in for a long haul if you aren't sensible and patient now.

All the best, Julie

Richard, C.Ped on 11/21/00 at 07:40 (033219)

Kevin, I wanted to stress the importance of well made shoes as well as rest. I know athletes, especially young 'hungry' ones. They tend to push themselves to far, even with injuries. I work with high school, college and semi-pro athletic teams, and they are almost all the same. They just want to get back out there and compete. Don't take offense, I was the same way at 18. Listen to your physicians. Listen to your trainer. Rest now so you can have a better chance for healing.
Richard, C.Ped