Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

some good orthotic devices you can buy in the UK

Posted by Anna J on 11/18/00 at 13:50 (033017)

Having had yet another depressing visit to my doctor on Thursday where I refused the 3rd set of steroid injections this year and got referred to a physiotherapist, I asked my friendly pharmacist for something to put in my shoes which might help with the pain in the meantime.
The result - Dr Vasyli's 'orthaheels' which are rather funny looking and strange feeling rubber-like devices that support the arch and make me feel if I am walking rather oddly. (if I am now walking correctly, shows how badly I was using my feet before)
not sure as yet how good these are going to be but I did managed to make my way round the local supermarket without people looking at me strangely.
these are non-prescription and cost 20.95. I bought mine from Boots the Chemist. they come in small, medium and large.
if you can't find them, then some addresses are:-
Vasyli International
Freepost ANG 2391
PO Box 3914, Sudbury
Suffolk, CO10 2ZZ

other addresses are:
PO Box 976, Parramatta, NSW 2150, Australia
PO Box 9591, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
3190 Steeles Ave East, Suite 100, Box 5, Markham, Ontario L3R IG9, Canada

Will let you know if these are any use.
Anna

Re: some good orthotic devices you can buy in the UK

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/19/00 at 15:58 (033080)

These sound like your may be on the right track.

Hear is what you are looking for with any over the counter orthosis insert.

Alot of shock absorbing material in the heel area. May be a little lift in the heel if your achilles tendons are strained or tight.

good support in the arch area. Be careful if you have lack of motion or lack of pronation that the orthosis will hurt you and become painful.

You must be careful that the orthosis doesn't push the arch or foot past the neutral position of the foot and toward the outside of the foot. So wear the new inserts and try to get use to them very slowly.

i like one hour each day just like contact lens. If you feel ok the next day then add another hour. Make sure that you can just walk around the house or block before you jump into any long shopping trips.

Good luck

Re: some good orthotic devices you can buy in the UK

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/19/00 at 15:58 (033080)

These sound like your may be on the right track.

Hear is what you are looking for with any over the counter orthosis insert.

Alot of shock absorbing material in the heel area. May be a little lift in the heel if your achilles tendons are strained or tight.

good support in the arch area. Be careful if you have lack of motion or lack of pronation that the orthosis will hurt you and become painful.

You must be careful that the orthosis doesn't push the arch or foot past the neutral position of the foot and toward the outside of the foot. So wear the new inserts and try to get use to them very slowly.

i like one hour each day just like contact lens. If you feel ok the next day then add another hour. Make sure that you can just walk around the house or block before you jump into any long shopping trips.

Good luck