Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone ever tried SALONPAS pain patchs????

Posted by Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 11:36 (033059)

Ho to all,
When I went to my recheck appointment with my Pod last Friday ,I was telling him how my foot and ankle ache. I wake up in the middle of the night in bad pain. Anyway he told me about these SALONPAS pain patchs. He said he uses them for his PF.

I went and got them yesterday at a drug store. They are OTC and cost 4.99 for 40 of them.

On the box it says they are for arthritis ,simple backaches,strains ,bruises,and sprains.

They are small pieces of tape and they have medicine on them. My Pod said to put them on before I go to bed and leave them on until I wake up.

Well I did ,I put 4 pieces on my sore spots of my foot. I must say tha I woke up to day with no aches in my foot. Maybe it is to soon to say if they are really working but I will take the no aches today.

I just thought I would share this with you all ,just in case you wanted to try something different . I will put them on again tonight.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.Laurie R

Re: Has anyone ever tried SALONPAS pain patchs????

Barb-NY on 11/19/00 at 12:30 (033063)

I tried them when I first developed PF. Tried them for a week straight. Nothing. They did clear up my sinuses. But they did nothing for my feet.

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 14:15 (033071)

Laurie - does the box say what's in these patches?

Beverly on 11/19/00 at 15:04 (033074)

Laurie,

That's great. You deserve a break from the pain. Like Wendy, I'd like to know what's in them.
Beverly

Nancy N on 11/19/00 at 15:29 (033077)

Laurie--

What area of the drugstore did you find them in? Are they with the tylenol/advil or are they with the band-aids, or...??

Thanks!

Barb-NY on 11/19/00 at 20:37 (033097)

I put them on my arches, but their aroma is so strong you can smell them clear across the room.

Re: Sinuses

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 21:19 (033103)

There's an inhaled steroid type medicine called Flonase (the nose equivelant to the asthma medicine - flovent). You use it every day as a preventative. Maybe worth a try. Of course it's prescription only - and it's on the pricier side, but a lot of doctors will give you a sample to try first.

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 21:46 (033106)

Hi Beverly,
My husband got them for me while I was shopping in another part of the store.He said they are by the 'Bengay' and other creams . I know it is not a cure but it did help last night and I am going to try again tonight. I hope you are doing well. Laurie R

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 22:03 (033107)

Hi Wendy,
Yes it is on the box. Here's what it says.

Active Ingredients : Methyl Salicylate.....132 mg
dl Camphor............ 26 mg
l-Menthol............. 120 mg
Tocopherlo Acetate... 21 mg

It does really stink ,but it is on your foot and I put a sock over it . It was still really stinky in the morning also. I figured it is really cheap to try . I will try anything to help with the pain. I can not take anti- imflam pills because of my bad stomach . I hope this will help . My best to you Wendy and I hope you continue to do well . Laurie R

Re: Sinuses re Vicki

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 22:05 (033108)

Hi Vicki,
PLEASE ,PLEASE can you e-mail me with what you have to work for sinus . I have had this problem forever and nothing has helped. I would really appreciate it .Thank s again Vicki and thanks for posting about this. Laurie R

Re: Flonase

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 23:50 (033119)

Yes - I think you have to use it for a couple weeks, and it's something you have to use all the time - not just when you use it. Both my kids used it at one point for summer allergies. Neither of them need it any more - but it did seem to do the trick. Although one insisted that it made him have trouble sleeping, and the other one had more frequent nosebleeds with it. It's like anything - side effects are always possible, but it certainly seems a preferable way to go compared to anti-histamines that knock you out cold. I have flo-vent around for asthma - but fortunately I only rarely have problems with asthsma and haven't had to use the flo vent yet.

Re: DOLGEL (Ibuprofen)

Joseph Carrion on 11/21/00 at 05:53 (033214)

I haven't tried Salonpas but I am using DOLGEL (purchase in this site). I recommend it as it's helping ease my pain very much. I use it as part of my 'healing package' which I, by trial & error am using now.
My 'package' consist of the following: One set of Nike Air named Team Sports (crosstraining sneakers) which I discovered in the store. They provide excellent arch support, are black and I use them to work and everything. I also use an ankle support which provide an outstanding arch support. The best brand by far is (FUTURO item # 48 ANKLE). I found them at Wal-Mart. The 3rd. component of my 'healing package' is the DOLGEL Gel.
I am using also lots of ice when I feel I need it.
I am very optimistic that my jogging and running days will arrive in the near future. I am a sales rep. and learned the hard way not to carry heavy briefcases, boxes etc. without the help of a little hand truck.
I really think there's no single one solution but a combination of things which will help must of us to cure this heel spur condition. Good Luck!

john h on 11/24/00 at 19:16 (033437)

laurie i have used several different type of pain patches for my back and they do work. most simply have menthol as a base but tiger balm makes 3 different ones each hottter than the other. The ones i use are Mentholatum brand. go to http://www.drugstore.com and search for pain patches. they have a variety of them. they are not messy,easy to use, and the odor (except tiger balm) goes away rapidly. i do not think you could use them on your foot however (maybe your ankle).

Barb-NY on 11/19/00 at 12:30 (033063)

I tried them when I first developed PF. Tried them for a week straight. Nothing. They did clear up my sinuses. But they did nothing for my feet.

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 14:15 (033071)

Laurie - does the box say what's in these patches?

Beverly on 11/19/00 at 15:04 (033074)

Laurie,

That's great. You deserve a break from the pain. Like Wendy, I'd like to know what's in them.
Beverly

Nancy N on 11/19/00 at 15:29 (033077)

Laurie--

What area of the drugstore did you find them in? Are they with the tylenol/advil or are they with the band-aids, or...??

Thanks!

Barb-NY on 11/19/00 at 20:37 (033097)

I put them on my arches, but their aroma is so strong you can smell them clear across the room.

Re: Sinuses

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 21:19 (033103)

There's an inhaled steroid type medicine called Flonase (the nose equivelant to the asthma medicine - flovent). You use it every day as a preventative. Maybe worth a try. Of course it's prescription only - and it's on the pricier side, but a lot of doctors will give you a sample to try first.

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 21:46 (033106)

Hi Beverly,
My husband got them for me while I was shopping in another part of the store.He said they are by the 'Bengay' and other creams . I know it is not a cure but it did help last night and I am going to try again tonight. I hope you are doing well. Laurie R

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 22:03 (033107)

Hi Wendy,
Yes it is on the box. Here's what it says.

Active Ingredients : Methyl Salicylate.....132 mg
dl Camphor............ 26 mg
l-Menthol............. 120 mg
Tocopherlo Acetate... 21 mg

It does really stink ,but it is on your foot and I put a sock over it . It was still really stinky in the morning also. I figured it is really cheap to try . I will try anything to help with the pain. I can not take anti- imflam pills because of my bad stomach . I hope this will help . My best to you Wendy and I hope you continue to do well . Laurie R

Re: Sinuses re Vicki

Laurie R on 11/19/00 at 22:05 (033108)

Hi Vicki,
PLEASE ,PLEASE can you e-mail me with what you have to work for sinus . I have had this problem forever and nothing has helped. I would really appreciate it .Thank s again Vicki and thanks for posting about this. Laurie R

Re: Flonase

wendyn on 11/19/00 at 23:50 (033119)

Yes - I think you have to use it for a couple weeks, and it's something you have to use all the time - not just when you use it. Both my kids used it at one point for summer allergies. Neither of them need it any more - but it did seem to do the trick. Although one insisted that it made him have trouble sleeping, and the other one had more frequent nosebleeds with it. It's like anything - side effects are always possible, but it certainly seems a preferable way to go compared to anti-histamines that knock you out cold. I have flo-vent around for asthma - but fortunately I only rarely have problems with asthsma and haven't had to use the flo vent yet.

Re: DOLGEL (Ibuprofen)

Joseph Carrion on 11/21/00 at 05:53 (033214)

I haven't tried Salonpas but I am using DOLGEL (purchase in this site). I recommend it as it's helping ease my pain very much. I use it as part of my 'healing package' which I, by trial & error am using now.
My 'package' consist of the following: One set of Nike Air named Team Sports (crosstraining sneakers) which I discovered in the store. They provide excellent arch support, are black and I use them to work and everything. I also use an ankle support which provide an outstanding arch support. The best brand by far is (FUTURO item # 48 ANKLE). I found them at Wal-Mart. The 3rd. component of my 'healing package' is the DOLGEL Gel.
I am using also lots of ice when I feel I need it.
I am very optimistic that my jogging and running days will arrive in the near future. I am a sales rep. and learned the hard way not to carry heavy briefcases, boxes etc. without the help of a little hand truck.
I really think there's no single one solution but a combination of things which will help must of us to cure this heel spur condition. Good Luck!

john h on 11/24/00 at 19:16 (033437)

laurie i have used several different type of pain patches for my back and they do work. most simply have menthol as a base but tiger balm makes 3 different ones each hottter than the other. The ones i use are Mentholatum brand. go to http://www.drugstore.com and search for pain patches. they have a variety of them. they are not messy,easy to use, and the odor (except tiger balm) goes away rapidly. i do not think you could use them on your foot however (maybe your ankle).