Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF SURGERY DONE 4 WEEKS AGO AND NUMBNESS IN BIG TOE

Posted by ABBY on 11/21/00 at 04:28 (033212)

I HAD EPF SURGERY 4 WEEKS AGO AND WHILE WEARING MY SNEAKERS HAVE NOTICED NUMBNESS IN THE BIG TOE OF THE SAME FOOT. ALSO, IS THE NORMAL PROCEDURE AFTER SURGERY TO HAVE THERAPY THAT INCLUDES A WARM WHIRLPOOL BATH FOR THE FOOT ONLY, PARAFFIN WAX DIP THEN ULTRASOUND TREATMENT? THIS IS DONE WEEKLY. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE ULTRASOUND DOES. HOW MANY MORE TREATMENTS WILL I NEED IN YOUR OPINION? I STILL HAVE TROUBLE WALKING HEEL TO TOE AS THE FRICTION AND VIBRATION FROM THE GROUND BOTHERS IT AND I CAN'T WALK A GREAT DISTANCE OR WITH A GREAT DEAL OF SPEED AND WALKING BAREFOOT IS VERY DIFFICULT. ALSO, I STILL FEEL THAT THE HEEL IS SWOLLEN ON THE INSIDE AFTER WALKING ON IT FOR A WHILE. FOR THIS I TAKE 2 ADVIL, WHICH HELPS. DO YOU FEEL I AM PROGRESSING AT THE NORMAL SPEED? I THOUGHT THAT BY THIS TIME I'D BE BACK TO WALKING 45 MINUTES A DAY. ARE THERE OTHER EXERCISES BESIDES STRETCHING THE CALF MUSCLE THAT I CAN DO TO SPEED RECOVERY TIME? I HAVE ALSO BEEN TAKING 1,000 mg OF VIT. C. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR ENCOURAGEMENT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Re: EPF SURGERY DONE 4 WEEKS AGO AND NUMBNESS IN BIG TOE

Dr. Biehler on 11/21/00 at 08:49 (033225)

You are doing good for 4 weeks. The warm bath brings blood to the area. This is good for healing. The ultrasound basicaly does the same thing but for deep tissue. Do not try to rush your recovery. Icing always helps for pain, controling swelling and forcing the blood deep to the area that is healing. It can take up to 6 months for recovery. The numbness will probably resolve with time. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/21/00 at 18:53 (033261)

you must let your body healing . It can and does take up to six months for complete healing The numbness is probaby swelling and then you put shoes on that press on the skin nerves. No big deal . Will get swelling and other different types of healing pain off and on. So please rest and don't push the foot no matter how good it feels It sounds like you are on the right path for healing.

Dr., Z

Dr. Biehler on 11/21/00 at 08:49 (033225)

You are doing good for 4 weeks. The warm bath brings blood to the area. This is good for healing. The ultrasound basicaly does the same thing but for deep tissue. Do not try to rush your recovery. Icing always helps for pain, controling swelling and forcing the blood deep to the area that is healing. It can take up to 6 months for recovery. The numbness will probably resolve with time. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/21/00 at 18:53 (033261)

you must let your body healing . It can and does take up to six months for complete healing The numbness is probaby swelling and then you put shoes on that press on the skin nerves. No big deal . Will get swelling and other different types of healing pain off and on. So please rest and don't push the foot no matter how good it feels It sounds like you are on the right path for healing.

Dr., Z