Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swimming

Posted by Lori on 11/21/00 at 20:43 (033265)

How many PF sufferors have had to stop even swimming to get over this dreadful, life-altering injury? I gave up running immediately, which was devestating to say the least, biking is out too, I love biking. Swimming is all I have left, and it's the only thing that keeps me sane. I tried not swimming for a week, and even my own mother couldn't stand to be around me.

Thanks.

Re: Swimming

Hank on 11/22/00 at 14:20 (033320)

Lori,
I had to give up swimming too, at least for awhile, but not because of pf. A headfirst softball slide this summer injured
my shoulder so I've had to lay off swimming this fall. I've had pf for over 2 years now. I hated giving up running/biking
because I was really enjoying doing triathlons. I don't do the ironman races like another person (Rock) who has posted on
this board; I just do the sprint distance races. I layed off running for 14 months after incurring the pf and eventually got
well enough to resume running (last March). I did two triathlons this summer plus a moderate amount of running. However
I reaggravated the pf by playing too much tennis (at least I think that's what it was). Around the same time frame
I did the headfirst slide. Sure, it was for the winning run in the bottom of the last inning but I'd rather have been out
than hurt my shoulder. So this fall I've not been able to anything aerobic which is a royal pain! I hope the pf gets better
so I can do triathlons again next year but don't know. It sure takes a long time to heal! But at age 43 everything takes
a long time to heal. Best of luck with the swimming - it's very therapuetic!
Hank

Marjorita on 11/24/00 at 09:27 (033385)

Hi Lori,

With regard to swimming and frustration: I've been swimming for years as an alternative to running and biking. When I developed pf and had it off and on for five years, I swam more. It was frustrating at first but my feet felt great (probably from the fresh blood being pumped to the extremeties) and I focused on being a better swimmer, on making my body move better in the water, and on visualizing I was running or someplace else when I was bored. I also use the aquajogger, which simulates running and is an excellent form of rehab for other injuries. I did not gain wait (thought I might) and developed different kinds of muscles, different from running or biking but strong nonetheless.

On another note, I am part of the FDA trials for pf in the Bronx. I continued swimming breast stronke (you know, feet and legs kicking) among other strokes and thought nothing of it. My recovery after the first treatment was fast: no pain in almost 2 weeks. Then I had to return for a second treatment and have experienced up and down recovery, though consistent improvement over 12 weeks. A few weeks ago, I stopped doing the breast stroke with a kick and instead use a flotation device between my thighs. I still use the aquajogger but try to keep my feet still while using it. I saw definite improvement when I stopped using a kick in the water.

Bottom line: test it out and see what works for you. For me, REST, REST, REST (which means no kicking in water) plus always wear shoes at the pool, sit poolside and take them off, shower at home, plus light nonweightbearing stretching plus only 5-10 min. of icing after plus night splints, New Balance 841s, and use of the personal foot trainer (listed on this site) to strengthen are what have worked for me.

Good luck, and try to see this as a temporary situation in which you need to be patient and observant. Don't let it go on as long as I did because of frustration.

Marjorita

Hank on 11/22/00 at 14:20 (033320)

Lori,
I had to give up swimming too, at least for awhile, but not because of pf. A headfirst softball slide this summer injured
my shoulder so I've had to lay off swimming this fall. I've had pf for over 2 years now. I hated giving up running/biking
because I was really enjoying doing triathlons. I don't do the ironman races like another person (Rock) who has posted on
this board; I just do the sprint distance races. I layed off running for 14 months after incurring the pf and eventually got
well enough to resume running (last March). I did two triathlons this summer plus a moderate amount of running. However
I reaggravated the pf by playing too much tennis (at least I think that's what it was). Around the same time frame
I did the headfirst slide. Sure, it was for the winning run in the bottom of the last inning but I'd rather have been out
than hurt my shoulder. So this fall I've not been able to anything aerobic which is a royal pain! I hope the pf gets better
so I can do triathlons again next year but don't know. It sure takes a long time to heal! But at age 43 everything takes
a long time to heal. Best of luck with the swimming - it's very therapuetic!
Hank

Marjorita on 11/24/00 at 09:27 (033385)

Hi Lori,

With regard to swimming and frustration: I've been swimming for years as an alternative to running and biking. When I developed pf and had it off and on for five years, I swam more. It was frustrating at first but my feet felt great (probably from the fresh blood being pumped to the extremeties) and I focused on being a better swimmer, on making my body move better in the water, and on visualizing I was running or someplace else when I was bored. I also use the aquajogger, which simulates running and is an excellent form of rehab for other injuries. I did not gain wait (thought I might) and developed different kinds of muscles, different from running or biking but strong nonetheless.

On another note, I am part of the FDA trials for pf in the Bronx. I continued swimming breast stronke (you know, feet and legs kicking) among other strokes and thought nothing of it. My recovery after the first treatment was fast: no pain in almost 2 weeks. Then I had to return for a second treatment and have experienced up and down recovery, though consistent improvement over 12 weeks. A few weeks ago, I stopped doing the breast stroke with a kick and instead use a flotation device between my thighs. I still use the aquajogger but try to keep my feet still while using it. I saw definite improvement when I stopped using a kick in the water.

Bottom line: test it out and see what works for you. For me, REST, REST, REST (which means no kicking in water) plus always wear shoes at the pool, sit poolside and take them off, shower at home, plus light nonweightbearing stretching plus only 5-10 min. of icing after plus night splints, New Balance 841s, and use of the personal foot trainer (listed on this site) to strengthen are what have worked for me.

Good luck, and try to see this as a temporary situation in which you need to be patient and observant. Don't let it go on as long as I did because of frustration.

Marjorita