Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What exactly is thickened fascia?

Posted by Helene M on 11/22/00 at 14:47 (033324)

After seeing the phrase 'thickened fascia' mentioned on these msg boards several times, what does thickened fascia indicate & is it always bad?

Re: What exactly is thickened fascia?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/22/00 at 16:58 (033330)

This is where the plantar fascia usually at the insertion becomes thick due to repetitive micro-tears and or repetitive strain due to abnormal function and or injury to the plantar fascia.

Barbara TX on 11/22/00 at 20:49 (033338)

I have this thickened fascia too. Does it ever go away and can you have it without pain? B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/23/00 at 07:48 (033348)

As you know it thickens with chronicity. Yes the pain from this can go away. ESWT has been 'shot' in the insertion of the thickened pf. So it will go from chronic to acute and then heal with fibers that are painfree. Now I am begging, demanding, asking your healing mechanics do to the follow my healing instructions exactly as I just described it to do as soon as possible. Yes I will allow. Mr. Healing cycle go to the thanksgiving dinner but after dinner it must heal all ESWT pf sufferers

Helene M on 11/23/00 at 11:37 (033363)

Can thickened fascia occur in the center of the arch instead of the insertional point? When ESWT heals the fascia, is it no longer 'thick'?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/24/00 at 03:44 (033379)

Good question. I don't know if there are permanent MRI changes after ESWT one year. I know of no study out there that took mri. The best way would to see a biopsy of the site post ESWT but that isn't going to happen .

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/22/00 at 16:58 (033330)

This is where the plantar fascia usually at the insertion becomes thick due to repetitive micro-tears and or repetitive strain due to abnormal function and or injury to the plantar fascia.

Barbara TX on 11/22/00 at 20:49 (033338)

I have this thickened fascia too. Does it ever go away and can you have it without pain? B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/23/00 at 07:48 (033348)

As you know it thickens with chronicity. Yes the pain from this can go away. ESWT has been 'shot' in the insertion of the thickened pf. So it will go from chronic to acute and then heal with fibers that are painfree. Now I am begging, demanding, asking your healing mechanics do to the follow my healing instructions exactly as I just described it to do as soon as possible. Yes I will allow. Mr. Healing cycle go to the thanksgiving dinner but after dinner it must heal all ESWT pf sufferers

Helene M on 11/23/00 at 11:37 (033363)

Can thickened fascia occur in the center of the arch instead of the insertional point? When ESWT heals the fascia, is it no longer 'thick'?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/24/00 at 03:44 (033379)

Good question. I don't know if there are permanent MRI changes after ESWT one year. I know of no study out there that took mri. The best way would to see a biopsy of the site post ESWT but that isn't going to happen .