Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in the heels.

Posted by ash on 11/24/00 at 00:38 (033375)

I am 31 years old male. I have started having pain in the heels since more than a year back. When I get up in the morning, it is quite severe or if I get up after sitting for a while. I have been trying homeopathic treatment since almost a year. Doesnt seem to work much so far. The pain has subsided little bit but not much relief considering the fact that I am having those medications since more than a year.

What should I do?? Please help !!!!!!

ASH

Re: Pain in the heels.

Julie F on 11/24/00 at 01:22 (033377)

Hi Ash

Pain in the heels first thing in the morning is a classic sign of plantar fasciitis. Read the PF book. It will give you a great deal of information about plantar fasciitis and suggestions about what to do. The generally helpful treatments are rest, taping, icing and stretching. Also read what others have posted on the message boards.

The main thing is to stay off your feet as much as possible to give the tear in the fascia a chance to heal, and never go barefoot: your arches need support. Consult a podiatrist, sports medicine doctor or orthopaedic doctor for a diagnosis and a full biomechanical evaluation to determine what is causing the pain. Armed with information, you'll be able to deal with it. Good luck!

Julie

Kate on 11/24/00 at 06:24 (033381)

Ash,
You should speak to Dr.Zuckerman, it sounds like you might have some PF going on, or possibly even a spur. If you don't speak to Dr.Z, speak to a good board certified Podiatrist.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

alan k on 11/24/00 at 07:48 (033384)

Do take the time to read Scott's book, as the answers to a first question like yours are going to be vastly incomplete, because there is just too much to say. The resource which is the people here is far more valuable once you have specific questions about specific things you are trying to do. After one year, allopathic treatment should certainly be your first priority.

alan k

Julie F on 11/24/00 at 01:22 (033377)

Hi Ash

Pain in the heels first thing in the morning is a classic sign of plantar fasciitis. Read the PF book. It will give you a great deal of information about plantar fasciitis and suggestions about what to do. The generally helpful treatments are rest, taping, icing and stretching. Also read what others have posted on the message boards.

The main thing is to stay off your feet as much as possible to give the tear in the fascia a chance to heal, and never go barefoot: your arches need support. Consult a podiatrist, sports medicine doctor or orthopaedic doctor for a diagnosis and a full biomechanical evaluation to determine what is causing the pain. Armed with information, you'll be able to deal with it. Good luck!

Julie

Kate on 11/24/00 at 06:24 (033381)

Ash,
You should speak to Dr.Zuckerman, it sounds like you might have some PF going on, or possibly even a spur. If you don't speak to Dr.Z, speak to a good board certified Podiatrist.

Kate Jurman
ESWT Coordinator

alan k on 11/24/00 at 07:48 (033384)

Do take the time to read Scott's book, as the answers to a first question like yours are going to be vastly incomplete, because there is just too much to say. The resource which is the people here is far more valuable once you have specific questions about specific things you are trying to do. After one year, allopathic treatment should certainly be your first priority.

alan k