Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Baxter's Nerve

Posted by JudyS on 11/24/00 at 12:59 (033402)

Hi everybody - I just read an article in the October 2K issue on the Podiatry Today website (address provided by John h a couple of weeks ago) and found an interesting item. I found it to be extremely noteworthy to those of us who say we have no morning pain but rather pain after weight bearing for awhile. That point had to do with diagnosing Baxter's Neuritis(sp) and said something to the effect that one item of diagnosis was if a patient complains of pain AFTER use, as opposed to pain in the AM or after rest.
The Baxter's article makes for interesting reading if you get a chance.

Re: Baxter's Nerve/Where is it?

Beverly on 11/24/00 at 18:38 (033418)

How interesting. Where is the Baxter's Nerve? Does it connect to the back? Because sometimes I have back pain too But my foot pain came first.
I have some morning pain but I get far worse the longer I am on my feet.
My situation is complicated by the fact that it is 'crawling' up my legs.
I think I hate this hamstring strain/tear most of all, and now it too is going bilateral. So, I often wonder if a nerve is involved.

Thanks for the info,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 11/24/00 at 18:49 (033425)

Baxters nerve is another name for the lateral branch of the calcanial nerve. There are other names for this nerve and it is the same nerve that causes the pain in PF. It is usually referred to as Baxters nerve when the though is the pain is coming from an intrapment of this nerve. Dr. B.

Re: Baxter's Nerve

john h on 11/24/00 at 19:04 (033432)

judy as i have posted before when i had PF surgery i had what is know as the Baxter Procedure. A very small (1/2' semi circurlar wedge) of fascia was removed from over the Baxter nerve. This in effect releases about 10-15% of the fascia. Not enough to cause any destabilization of the foot while supposedly taking pressure off the baxter nerve. there are not many doctors who are trained in this procedure.

suzi on 11/27/00 at 16:35 (033655)

HI John, I had the same surgery done by Dr. Baxter himself and I still have the nerve entrapment it's a pain in the !@#@$!#@$#@%$% was your surgery successful?? Please let me know!

Beverly on 11/24/00 at 18:38 (033418)

How interesting. Where is the Baxter's Nerve? Does it connect to the back? Because sometimes I have back pain too But my foot pain came first.
I have some morning pain but I get far worse the longer I am on my feet.
My situation is complicated by the fact that it is 'crawling' up my legs.
I think I hate this hamstring strain/tear most of all, and now it too is going bilateral. So, I often wonder if a nerve is involved.

Thanks for the info,
Beverly

Dr. Biehler on 11/24/00 at 18:49 (033425)

Baxters nerve is another name for the lateral branch of the calcanial nerve. There are other names for this nerve and it is the same nerve that causes the pain in PF. It is usually referred to as Baxters nerve when the though is the pain is coming from an intrapment of this nerve. Dr. B.

john h on 11/24/00 at 19:04 (033432)

judy as i have posted before when i had PF surgery i had what is know as the Baxter Procedure. A very small (1/2' semi circurlar wedge) of fascia was removed from over the Baxter nerve. This in effect releases about 10-15% of the fascia. Not enough to cause any destabilization of the foot while supposedly taking pressure off the baxter nerve. there are not many doctors who are trained in this procedure.

suzi on 11/27/00 at 16:35 (033655)

HI John, I had the same surgery done by Dr. Baxter himself and I still have the nerve entrapment it's a pain in the !@#@$!#@$#@%$% was your surgery successful?? Please let me know!