Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr. Z: Test has come in...

Posted by Barbara TX on 11/24/00 at 19:14 (033436)

Dr. Z... The thing I haven't checked is any overall condition that might be contributing to my slow healing. I recently had urinalysis and everything appears in the normal ranges except for the brief notation 'CALCIUM OXALATE CRYSTALS SEEN.' Could you tell me what that means, if it is anything unusual? My doctor (an internist who was checking me for another condition) called this a normal culture. Also, should I have a blood test for uric acid levels (gout)? I am very healthy despite my evil pf foot, and so I'm wondering whether to pursue this or not. Thanks so much! B.

Re: To Dr. Z: Test has come in...

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/25/00 at 03:05 (033452)

It is very rare but a high or low normal uric acid level can contribute to heel pain. This is usually both feet. I am sure that this was already done but ask and check it out. In fact there has been only one time that I can remember heel pain from high uric acid levels and this patient was on a medication caled lasix which is known to cause increase uric acid levels.

So in summary gout is about a one in whatever number chance of being present in your body. How long are we post ESWT at now.

DR.Z

PS: I had to go look up the Calcium Oxalate Crystals seen in urine in my podiatric medicine and lab medicine book. Well it's not in there. I know that it's not bad. Will take a look in my Internal Medicine and what every podiatrist needs to know. The book is pretty big so I will need to have two people lift it for me. In school we had full year of internal medicine and its relationship to podiatric medicince. I even worked at nite in a lab and did urine analysis. I never saw a patient with this finding end of in the morgue. just kidding. Your internal medicine doc wil know alot more then me. Now if there were Ketones and bacteria that's a horse of a different color

Barbara TX on 11/25/00 at 12:14 (033474)

Dr. Z ... I think we are six weeks past ESWT. I will ask the internist on this coming Wednesday what is the world those crystals are. I suppose I would have been told in advance (since the test was in August) whether I am a alien hybrid or I have six weeks to live... ! Yikes! The reason I'm going to the internist is that I'd like to try to get off the Effexor, as one of its side-effects is weight gain, and I've gained 25-30 pounds since June when I went on it. This has been INCREDIBLE to me. It is a real shame, since I was back to my svelte pre-pregnancy weight before my foot went haywire. Still, I would do anything not to be depressed, especially for the sake of my family. I know they would prefer a larger, happier mother!

So, friend, I think I'll see what the internist thinks about the mystery crystals... as for the pain level in my foot, I think that I've stalled. May I come back to see you? Would it be too early for me to have a second treatment? Maybe John and I could come together! B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 19:13 (033572)

Would love to have you and John come back. now about the effexor. Never just stop this drug. You must slowly come off of it. This drug has changed my wife life.positive At one time we were trying for a child and the infertily doctor told her to get off this drug. The doctor who prescibed the effector told to just stop this. NEVER NEVER NEVER. If I get my hands on this doctor well . Please have a plan for very slow withdrawing from this medications. I still remember the electric storm in my wife's head.

I am going to aim the orbasone at this doctor head and see if he like the feeling.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/25/00 at 03:05 (033452)

It is very rare but a high or low normal uric acid level can contribute to heel pain. This is usually both feet. I am sure that this was already done but ask and check it out. In fact there has been only one time that I can remember heel pain from high uric acid levels and this patient was on a medication caled lasix which is known to cause increase uric acid levels.

So in summary gout is about a one in whatever number chance of being present in your body. How long are we post ESWT at now.

DR.Z

PS: I had to go look up the Calcium Oxalate Crystals seen in urine in my podiatric medicine and lab medicine book. Well it's not in there. I know that it's not bad. Will take a look in my Internal Medicine and what every podiatrist needs to know. The book is pretty big so I will need to have two people lift it for me. In school we had full year of internal medicine and its relationship to podiatric medicince. I even worked at nite in a lab and did urine analysis. I never saw a patient with this finding end of in the morgue. just kidding. Your internal medicine doc wil know alot more then me. Now if there were Ketones and bacteria that's a horse of a different color

Barbara TX on 11/25/00 at 12:14 (033474)

Dr. Z ... I think we are six weeks past ESWT. I will ask the internist on this coming Wednesday what is the world those crystals are. I suppose I would have been told in advance (since the test was in August) whether I am a alien hybrid or I have six weeks to live... ! Yikes! The reason I'm going to the internist is that I'd like to try to get off the Effexor, as one of its side-effects is weight gain, and I've gained 25-30 pounds since June when I went on it. This has been INCREDIBLE to me. It is a real shame, since I was back to my svelte pre-pregnancy weight before my foot went haywire. Still, I would do anything not to be depressed, especially for the sake of my family. I know they would prefer a larger, happier mother!

So, friend, I think I'll see what the internist thinks about the mystery crystals... as for the pain level in my foot, I think that I've stalled. May I come back to see you? Would it be too early for me to have a second treatment? Maybe John and I could come together! B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 19:13 (033572)

Would love to have you and John come back. now about the effexor. Never just stop this drug. You must slowly come off of it. This drug has changed my wife life.positive At one time we were trying for a child and the infertily doctor told her to get off this drug. The doctor who prescibed the effector told to just stop this. NEVER NEVER NEVER. If I get my hands on this doctor well . Please have a plan for very slow withdrawing from this medications. I still remember the electric storm in my wife's head.

I am going to aim the orbasone at this doctor head and see if he like the feeling.