Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BAD FOOT P[AIN CONTINUES!!!!help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by jAN W on 11/25/00 at 17:11 (033502)

hELLO, IT HAS BEEN 6 WEEKS NOW AND THE PAIN IS GETTING WORSE. o i GO BACK TO THE POSIATRIST mONDAY. jUST TO UPDATE YOU 6 WEEKS AGO HE DID AN XRAY SAW A HEEL SPUR AND SAID i HAD PLANTAR FASCITIS. wE HAVE BEEN THROUGH CELEBREX AND SHOTS WITH NO RELIEF AS i SAID IT IS WORSE, 2 WEEKS AGO i COULD STAND AN HOUR NOW i CAN'T STAND 15 MIN WITH OUT PAIN.i HAVE BEEN ON LIGHT DUTY AT WORK FOR 3 WEEKS(SINCE MY JOB AT THE POST OFFICE REQUIRES 8 HRS STANDING) BUT JUST NORMAL WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE HURTS.. tHANKSGIVING i WAS ON MY FEET A FEW HOURS COOKING AND AFTER THAT i WAS NEAR TEARS. i HAD TO LAY DOWN REST OF DAY..i NEVER EVER THOUGHT PLANTAR FASCITIS WOULD HURT THIS MUCH. tHE dR. SAID IT WAS SO COMMON i JUST FIGURED IT WOULD BE A SLIGHT ANNOYANCE, BUT FIND IT AFFECTING MY JOB AND LIFE. i HAVE NEVER BEEN IN CONSTANT PAIN LIKE THIS BEFORE. wHEN i GO mONDAU i AM GOING TO ASK HIM IF HE THINKS i COULD HAVE TORN OR RUPTURED A TENDON.. ONE WEBSITE i LOOKED AT CONCERNING PLANTAR FASCITIS SAID THEY FELT THE BEST THING FOR IT IS A PLASTER CAST i AM WONDERING IF THIS WOULD HELP??i ASKED HIM BUT HE REALLY DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING, HE LET ME TRY A HUGE PLASTIC BOOT THAT CAME UP TO MY KNEE BUT IT WAS REALLY HARD TO WALK IN THAT AND IT MADE THE OTHER FOOT HURT MORE..i Am really getting frustated and don't know what to do, he said he would get orthotics for me and physical therapy but I feel i am beyond that my pain needs help now..I have had pain in my knees for a awhile with arthritis but this had made my knees much worse, the lack of movement has caused them to stiffen up. I feel like I am all washed up at 44 limping around like this is really starting to get me depressed, any feed back appreciated Jan

Re: BAD FOOT P[AIN CONTINUES!!!!help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay S on 11/25/00 at 21:06 (033506)

It is obvious that you are feeling desperate! The thing is, no matter what you do you are not going to be healed in a day or a week and it is important that you don't rush through this. Believe me, I know it is difficult, to say the very least, but those of us who have had ongoing problems for years wish that we had done things differently at the beginning. Hindsight is always 20-20. However, you are still in the acute phase and hopefully you will be able to get your pf managed and handled sooner than most of us did. If you are not satisfied with your doctor's handling of this, maybe you should go to someone else. And please don't try to 'work through the pain'. If you read old messages here, you will find that is one of the worst things you can do with pf. Keep doing your light duty job and if someone is getting testy about it, see one of those people who do the workman's comp evaluations to see if your condition falls under one of those categories. I agree it is depressing, and wish I had the magic cure, but there is nothing fast about anything to do with pf. It will help if you accept that and begin your strategy for getting better over the long haul.
Hang in there, Jan! We are with you all the way.

Kay S on 11/25/00 at 21:14 (033509)

Sorry. I didn't mean to write here.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 07:44 (033526)

i have seen this before. Sorry to hear that you are in such severe foot pain. First get an mri. Let's see if you have a stress fracture or something else going on. Level off the boot cast with a shoe that is close to the same size.

barbara m on 11/27/00 at 18:14 (033663)

I feel exactly the same as you do. The pain is so intense I seem unable to concentrate on anything else. I was fine one day and wishing I was dead the next. My life can't be over. I can't do this to my husband and daughter. We have PLANS! You know, all the trips we were going to take ... places we wanted to see. I am only 35 years old. My daughter still has the right to expect me to go on walks with her, yet it's all I can do to make it through each day, sitting down as much as possible, and ruling my roost from my bed. It's been like this for four months. Is it ever going to end?

Barbara TX on 11/27/00 at 20:03 (033672)

Hello Barb - I'm in the same boat you are, but slowly, slowly recovering. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but this is an injury that takes a long time to recover from - perhaps up to a year or more. It is quite a significant life change, and no wonder so many of us suffer from depression - especially those of us with little children! Life changes a lot for them as well. Because those of us with chronic/severe pf aren't helped easily, or should I say, quickly by conservative treatments, we really have to hang in there and be persistent and extraordinarily patient. Knock one thing off at a time (you still might try orthotics, night splints, cortisone, MRI) and be very vocal about how you feel with your doctor and don't hesitate to switch doctors if one is not helping. You want your doctor to be as persistent as you are. Four months is not a long time to suffer from PF... you may have several months until you see definite improvement - BUT, IT WILL COME. It is very scary and frustrating not knowing how or when, but it will happen for you. Our friend Bob G. had to rest for 10 months before he began to recover, but he did it, and he's feeling fine. There was a time I couldn't even STAND UP, and I'm walking around my house instead of using a wheelchair. Of course, I wanted to tear my hair out the waiting was so maddening, but I think recovery is happening for me.

One thing that I try to keep in mind is that my little kids are watching me all the time and watching me to see how I handle the crappy things that get thrown in my path. This has been a real education for them as well as for me. You will be able to enjoy all those wonderful plans you've made for your family, and after handling this setback you will enjoy them even more... even more than you ever could before. But you might want to make some smaller plans - things that you can do while you heal that take your mind off your feet, so you won't feel so robbed of your larger plans. I am learning how to play classical guitar and sewing.

You sound like you want your treatment to remain conservative, but do read up on the new ESWT treatments available for PF before you ever consider surgery, and read Scott's on-line PF Bible for all of the very best info about PF.

Another thing - since you mentioned that you are really depressed, I just wanted to let you know how much a temporary prescription anti-depressant has helped me. It is not for everybody, but it helps many of us. And talking to each other on-line helps ALL of us. I'll be thinking about you! Let us know about your progress as you recover (and you will you will you will you will)!!!!! B.

barbara m on 11/28/00 at 13:57 (033735)

Thank you for the input. I am going to the doctor today, and I am going to ask him to consider surgery. I've already asked him about the ESWT, and he didn't seem too excited about the idea. I trust him. He seems very good at what he does.

Ten months of rest? How is that possible? I wouldn't have a house or a job if I tried something like that! Fortunately, my job does not require me to be on my feet much, and my bosses are extraordinarily patient. I suppose I'm lucky.

Kay S on 11/25/00 at 21:06 (033506)

It is obvious that you are feeling desperate! The thing is, no matter what you do you are not going to be healed in a day or a week and it is important that you don't rush through this. Believe me, I know it is difficult, to say the very least, but those of us who have had ongoing problems for years wish that we had done things differently at the beginning. Hindsight is always 20-20. However, you are still in the acute phase and hopefully you will be able to get your pf managed and handled sooner than most of us did. If you are not satisfied with your doctor's handling of this, maybe you should go to someone else. And please don't try to 'work through the pain'. If you read old messages here, you will find that is one of the worst things you can do with pf. Keep doing your light duty job and if someone is getting testy about it, see one of those people who do the workman's comp evaluations to see if your condition falls under one of those categories. I agree it is depressing, and wish I had the magic cure, but there is nothing fast about anything to do with pf. It will help if you accept that and begin your strategy for getting better over the long haul.
Hang in there, Jan! We are with you all the way.

Kay S on 11/25/00 at 21:14 (033509)

Sorry. I didn't mean to write here.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 07:44 (033526)

i have seen this before. Sorry to hear that you are in such severe foot pain. First get an mri. Let's see if you have a stress fracture or something else going on. Level off the boot cast with a shoe that is close to the same size.

barbara m on 11/27/00 at 18:14 (033663)

I feel exactly the same as you do. The pain is so intense I seem unable to concentrate on anything else. I was fine one day and wishing I was dead the next. My life can't be over. I can't do this to my husband and daughter. We have PLANS! You know, all the trips we were going to take ... places we wanted to see. I am only 35 years old. My daughter still has the right to expect me to go on walks with her, yet it's all I can do to make it through each day, sitting down as much as possible, and ruling my roost from my bed. It's been like this for four months. Is it ever going to end?

Barbara TX on 11/27/00 at 20:03 (033672)

Hello Barb - I'm in the same boat you are, but slowly, slowly recovering. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but this is an injury that takes a long time to recover from - perhaps up to a year or more. It is quite a significant life change, and no wonder so many of us suffer from depression - especially those of us with little children! Life changes a lot for them as well. Because those of us with chronic/severe pf aren't helped easily, or should I say, quickly by conservative treatments, we really have to hang in there and be persistent and extraordinarily patient. Knock one thing off at a time (you still might try orthotics, night splints, cortisone, MRI) and be very vocal about how you feel with your doctor and don't hesitate to switch doctors if one is not helping. You want your doctor to be as persistent as you are. Four months is not a long time to suffer from PF... you may have several months until you see definite improvement - BUT, IT WILL COME. It is very scary and frustrating not knowing how or when, but it will happen for you. Our friend Bob G. had to rest for 10 months before he began to recover, but he did it, and he's feeling fine. There was a time I couldn't even STAND UP, and I'm walking around my house instead of using a wheelchair. Of course, I wanted to tear my hair out the waiting was so maddening, but I think recovery is happening for me.

One thing that I try to keep in mind is that my little kids are watching me all the time and watching me to see how I handle the crappy things that get thrown in my path. This has been a real education for them as well as for me. You will be able to enjoy all those wonderful plans you've made for your family, and after handling this setback you will enjoy them even more... even more than you ever could before. But you might want to make some smaller plans - things that you can do while you heal that take your mind off your feet, so you won't feel so robbed of your larger plans. I am learning how to play classical guitar and sewing.

You sound like you want your treatment to remain conservative, but do read up on the new ESWT treatments available for PF before you ever consider surgery, and read Scott's on-line PF Bible for all of the very best info about PF.

Another thing - since you mentioned that you are really depressed, I just wanted to let you know how much a temporary prescription anti-depressant has helped me. It is not for everybody, but it helps many of us. And talking to each other on-line helps ALL of us. I'll be thinking about you! Let us know about your progress as you recover (and you will you will you will you will)!!!!! B.

barbara m on 11/28/00 at 13:57 (033735)

Thank you for the input. I am going to the doctor today, and I am going to ask him to consider surgery. I've already asked him about the ESWT, and he didn't seem too excited about the idea. I trust him. He seems very good at what he does.

Ten months of rest? How is that possible? I wouldn't have a house or a job if I tried something like that! Fortunately, my job does not require me to be on my feet much, and my bosses are extraordinarily patient. I suppose I'm lucky.