Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HOPE I DIDN'T RUSH INTO EPF SURGERY TOO SOON

Posted by Amy on 11/25/00 at 23:55 (033512)

I had EPF surgery 5 weeks ago after suffering for 8 weeks and after two unsucessful cortisone injections and the use of orthotics. My doctor told me that was the next step. He explained to me that the heel spur on the x-ray was causing my extreme pain. The spur makes a hole in the fascia tissue and when at rest the tissue swells and the hole closes up again. When you walk on the foot again it hurts until the whole is created again by the heel spur. My pain was so great before surgery that I could barely walk the week before and I couldn't even lightly touch the heel area. I can now walk around most of the day, resting in between standing or walking great distances. I feel it was the right decision but when others write in, it seems their told to try P.T., taping, message or shock wave therapy, which I've been told by my doctor that all only give temporary relief, if at all. I wanted a permanent solution so I opted for the surgery. I hope I'm not being misled by my doctor. I do have faith in him -he claims to have done over 2,000 of this type of procedure, only having to go back twice to remove the heel spur - but it's still early in the healing process. Please let me know if you agree with his explanation of heel spur pain. Thank you.

Re: HOPE I DIDN'T RUSH INTO EPF SURGERY TOO SOON

Dr. Zuckeman on 11/26/00 at 07:38 (033525)

It sounds like you are doing great. Just listen to you doctor . Rest your foot and let it heal. If you were in such great pain and I didn't have ESWT)shockwave) available,I would of considered Miminial incison heel spur surgery. So forget the past and concentrate on the future which is rest, rest, rest.

Re: HOPE I DIDN'T RUSH INTO EPF SURGERY TOO SOON

Dr. Zuckeman on 11/26/00 at 07:38 (033525)

It sounds like you are doing great. Just listen to you doctor . Rest your foot and let it heal. If you were in such great pain and I didn't have ESWT)shockwave) available,I would of considered Miminial incison heel spur surgery. So forget the past and concentrate on the future which is rest, rest, rest.