Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I need help finding someone good to make my orthodics

Posted by Beverly on 11/26/00 at 02:11 (033521)

Richard,

I think you know my orthodics search saga. I really want to try them again.
If made by a qualified orthodist, I don't see how they can hurt (semi-rigid) and they may help. As you know, the last ortodist I visited was hesitant to make them for me, because she wants to see what my MRI reveals... that perhaps I have a problem orthodics would not help, because she says my pain level is off the map for PF. But as I know from other board sufferers, my PF pain/debilitation level, may be at the high end, but I have plenty of company.
Plus, everything I've read has said orthodics would be good for my Post Tibial Tendonitis. If orthodics didn't help anything but that, I'd call them a success. I know my gait is off, because everything I get keeps going bilateral. Even my hamstring strain to the right leg that I got in PT has now gone bilateral to the left leg too.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I will probably be moving in a couple of months. Do you think I should wait until I get settled in my new city with someone who can keep adjusting the orthodics he makes me, or should I go ahead and find an orthodist to make them here and figure I may need to find someone else to do adjustments after I move? How does that work to adjust orthodics you did not make yourself?

Also, I keep getting different opinions about my arch. Some say it is normal. Some say it is high. One doctor even said it was flat. I think it is somewhere between normal and high because when I did an 'ink printmark/foot impression', a good bit of my foot was not there on the impression.
Thanks for all your help.
Beverly

Re: I need help finding someone good to make my orthodics

Richard, C.Ped on 11/27/00 at 08:17 (033610)

Hi again Beverly,
Consider moving to Columbia South Carolina!! Our state motto is 'Smiling faces, Beautiful places'. They came up with that because my patients leave my office (the beautiful place) with smiles on their faces. Well, not really, but I like to think so.

I really do not know why the orthotist would not make the inserts for you. I do have a couple of questions about that.

Did you take a written RX from your doctor to the orthotist to have the inserts made? If so, I don't know why the orthotist chose not to make them. Upon the exam I put the patients through, if I notice anything different from the DX (diagnosis) the doc wrote, I would notify him/her of what I found. To my knowledge, I have never turned anyone away (this includes indigent patients as well).

If you did not have an RX, the orthotist may have based her decision on this. I just don't know. I think in a case such as yours, you are a long term, constant adjustment patient that requires extra care and attention. Some people are not willing to supply that attention. I am not saying that she is one of those people, especially since I do not know her or the whole situation, so don't quote me on that.

Did you look up the Board for Certification in Pedorthics web page to find a C.Ped in your area? If not, I would highly recommend that you do so. We have received pretty much the same training. Ask the questions that I have posted before for you and Nancy S. You should be able to tell if the person is in it either for the money, or for the passion that they have to help people.

Let me know,
Richard

Nancy S. on 11/27/00 at 08:39 (033615)

Beverly, Richard's post to me on October 20 was especially helpful to me when I went to see the orthotist. I really studied it, asked a lot of questions when I got there, and found that the orthotist did things almost exactly the way Richard described, which gave me confidence.
The only difference was that he didn't make my orthotics the soft kind to start with -- he went straight to semi-rigid, which in my case I was glad of -- soft anything in my shoes stresses my tendons.
To see that post of Richard's, do a search on the date:
10/20/00
That brings it up.
Nancy

Re: Yep, I had a script with a diagnosis

Beverly on 11/27/00 at 11:02 (033626)

Dear Richard,

Yes, I had a perscription from the doctor with a diagnosis that read 'chronic Plantar Fascitis-bilateral.' You've made a good point that perhaps she didn't want to mess with constant adjustments. I have no idea if that was true. I really got the impression that she was simply calling the original diagnosis into question. My gut feeling is that I should go with someone else even though my PT thinks she is the best in town.
I will review your question sheet again and check for board certification on whomever I end up visiting.

Thank you,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/27/00 at 08:17 (033610)

Hi again Beverly,
Consider moving to Columbia South Carolina!! Our state motto is 'Smiling faces, Beautiful places'. They came up with that because my patients leave my office (the beautiful place) with smiles on their faces. Well, not really, but I like to think so.

I really do not know why the orthotist would not make the inserts for you. I do have a couple of questions about that.

Did you take a written RX from your doctor to the orthotist to have the inserts made? If so, I don't know why the orthotist chose not to make them. Upon the exam I put the patients through, if I notice anything different from the DX (diagnosis) the doc wrote, I would notify him/her of what I found. To my knowledge, I have never turned anyone away (this includes indigent patients as well).

If you did not have an RX, the orthotist may have based her decision on this. I just don't know. I think in a case such as yours, you are a long term, constant adjustment patient that requires extra care and attention. Some people are not willing to supply that attention. I am not saying that she is one of those people, especially since I do not know her or the whole situation, so don't quote me on that.

Did you look up the Board for Certification in Pedorthics web page to find a C.Ped in your area? If not, I would highly recommend that you do so. We have received pretty much the same training. Ask the questions that I have posted before for you and Nancy S. You should be able to tell if the person is in it either for the money, or for the passion that they have to help people.

Let me know,
Richard

Nancy S. on 11/27/00 at 08:39 (033615)

Beverly, Richard's post to me on October 20 was especially helpful to me when I went to see the orthotist. I really studied it, asked a lot of questions when I got there, and found that the orthotist did things almost exactly the way Richard described, which gave me confidence.
The only difference was that he didn't make my orthotics the soft kind to start with -- he went straight to semi-rigid, which in my case I was glad of -- soft anything in my shoes stresses my tendons.
To see that post of Richard's, do a search on the date:
10/20/00
That brings it up.
Nancy

Re: Yep, I had a script with a diagnosis

Beverly on 11/27/00 at 11:02 (033626)

Dear Richard,

Yes, I had a perscription from the doctor with a diagnosis that read 'chronic Plantar Fascitis-bilateral.' You've made a good point that perhaps she didn't want to mess with constant adjustments. I have no idea if that was true. I really got the impression that she was simply calling the original diagnosis into question. My gut feeling is that I should go with someone else even though my PT thinks she is the best in town.
I will review your question sheet again and check for board certification on whomever I end up visiting.

Thank you,
Beverly