Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ditching orthodics after epf?

Posted by T. Hurst on 11/26/00 at 20:21 (033576)

I'm almost 4 mo post-op epf (bilateral). My new pod (I moved) is having me try 1 week without orthodics. My orthodics were not the full length kind, were hard, and one had a cuboid pad for lateral stabilization problems. He said he wanted to see the effect & said if they were no worse after 1 week, then the orthodics weren't doing any good. I've gone about 5 days now & they are no worse, if anything a smidgen better. What does this mean? I've always heard orthodics after epf were necessary. Also, these orthodics were casted before epf - would a new casting be beneficial since my foot/arch dynamic have changed?

Re: Ditching orthodics after epf?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 20:26 (033577)

This is a judgement call. The treating doctor has to make this decison. I don't make or have the patient wear orthosis after heel spur surgery unless there is still pain. As i remember you had both feet done. The best advice that I can give to you is wait at least six months or with two up to one year. There is alot healing that has to go on, especially with the bilateral surgery you had.

Re: Ditching orthodics after epf?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/00 at 20:26 (033577)

This is a judgement call. The treating doctor has to make this decison. I don't make or have the patient wear orthosis after heel spur surgery unless there is still pain. As i remember you had both feet done. The best advice that I can give to you is wait at least six months or with two up to one year. There is alot healing that has to go on, especially with the bilateral surgery you had.