Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just took charge of this and I have an appt. with someone new!

Posted by Beverly on 11/27/00 at 11:42 (033628)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for all your help. I've decided I'm tired of sitting around waiting for my MRI results and letting another week go by without my orthodics.
Maybe that woman who put me on hold is wonderfully talented, but my gut feeling is to go with someone else. So I called the guy who fitted me for my camwalker boot this summer (one of my failed attempts), and I have an appointment with him today! He seemed like he had alot of patience, and he has one of the leading orthodics places in town. I remember seeing numerous degrees and certifications on his wall. I feel quite sure he is Board certified, but I will double check. And I've written down all those pointers you've given us recently on orthodics.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Just took charge of this and I have an appt. with someone new!

Beverly on 11/27/00 at 22:35 (033687)

Nancy,

I'm glad you didn't end up in the ditch!

To end the suspense, here is what happened at my appointment.
This new orthodist reacted somewhat like the last one I saw, but he seemed a bit more optimistic. He said he wasn't sure if orthodics would help me significantly, but he felt he could help make me more comfortable than I am now. I told him that in my present state, I'd be thrilled with even a small improvement.

He too wanted the MRI results. (Which just came in: inflammation in my foot but nothing as dramatic as I expected given my pain level!)

And before doing a casting, he wants me to see (at no extra charge) the combination PT/orthodist who works with him to get a second opinion on the best way to go. I see him tomorrow.

This new orthodist said he'd go with a semi-rigid. He brought out various sample materials to show me the difference between rigid and semi-rigid. What he considers 'flexible' felt pretty hard to me. He say he'd build the heel up with something cushy... some kind of silicone. And the sample he showed me came up around the heel. It was not flat. But in terms of specifics, I think he wants the PT to examine my foot and the way I walk before he decides exactly how to make them or how much I might benefit from them.

I asked how he makes his orthodics. He said he does a casting rather than a foam box. He puts you on your stomach to do the casting. He explained how it works, but I can't remember all the details.

I also asked if he does his own adjustments and he said, 'Yes.'

My gut feeling is to go with him even though he too was not sure he could help me, but he seemed more optimistic than the first one, and his office is closer to my house.

It seems like I remember Richard writing about the pro's and con's of casting vs. the foam box, but I can't remember the details.

Oh, and the orthodist said my arch looks normal. He did not ask me to walk barefooted since I was in so much pain. He simply asked me if I could stand barefooted and look at my feet from different directions.

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/28/00 at 08:01 (033712)

Hi Beverly,
Sounds good. I don't mind the actual casting if it is done correctly. It is also pretty messy. I like the foam box more because that is what I am used to. That's all. I do use plaster as well as wax on certain patients. It just depends.

Good luck to you, and remember, ask questions. If you still do not understand after they explained something to you, ask me or the docs. I know they are willing to help you as much as I am.
Richard

Re: He wants me to try nightsplint for 2 wks. before getting orthodics fitted.

Beverly on 11/28/00 at 16:17 (033741)

I am so ready to get these orthodics, but one more delay. The PT/orthodist I saw today (who I must say examined my feet and ankles more extensively than anyone else to date) said that because my heel and ankles are so tight, he wants me first to try the nightsplint for a week or two and see how much my heel can be loosened up. He says that will tell him alot about what kind of orthodic to make me.

I told him how hestitant I am about the nightsplint due to my hamstring tear (hurts to have my FootFlexed). He examined me so more and said that if ankle positioning hurts behind my knee, then there must be more involved than the hamstring... probably tight gastrocs. That I could have both a hamstring tear and tight gastrocs.

At any rate, he showed me some nightsplints and showed me a very gentle setting. He has a particular kind he is ordering for me that is more padded/comfortable and can be set in less than neutral to get started. So, if my doctor doesn't think this would make my hamstring worse, I'm game.

This fellow thinks even semi-rigid would be hard for me to get used to and thinks I should start with cork orthodics.

So, it will be a few weeks before I can report on the orthodics. I will try the dreaded nightsplint.
Beverly

Beverly on 11/27/00 at 22:35 (033687)

Nancy,

I'm glad you didn't end up in the ditch!

To end the suspense, here is what happened at my appointment.
This new orthodist reacted somewhat like the last one I saw, but he seemed a bit more optimistic. He said he wasn't sure if orthodics would help me significantly, but he felt he could help make me more comfortable than I am now. I told him that in my present state, I'd be thrilled with even a small improvement.

He too wanted the MRI results. (Which just came in: inflammation in my foot but nothing as dramatic as I expected given my pain level!)

And before doing a casting, he wants me to see (at no extra charge) the combination PT/orthodist who works with him to get a second opinion on the best way to go. I see him tomorrow.

This new orthodist said he'd go with a semi-rigid. He brought out various sample materials to show me the difference between rigid and semi-rigid. What he considers 'flexible' felt pretty hard to me. He say he'd build the heel up with something cushy... some kind of silicone. And the sample he showed me came up around the heel. It was not flat. But in terms of specifics, I think he wants the PT to examine my foot and the way I walk before he decides exactly how to make them or how much I might benefit from them.

I asked how he makes his orthodics. He said he does a casting rather than a foam box. He puts you on your stomach to do the casting. He explained how it works, but I can't remember all the details.

I also asked if he does his own adjustments and he said, 'Yes.'

My gut feeling is to go with him even though he too was not sure he could help me, but he seemed more optimistic than the first one, and his office is closer to my house.

It seems like I remember Richard writing about the pro's and con's of casting vs. the foam box, but I can't remember the details.

Oh, and the orthodist said my arch looks normal. He did not ask me to walk barefooted since I was in so much pain. He simply asked me if I could stand barefooted and look at my feet from different directions.

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 11/28/00 at 08:01 (033712)

Hi Beverly,
Sounds good. I don't mind the actual casting if it is done correctly. It is also pretty messy. I like the foam box more because that is what I am used to. That's all. I do use plaster as well as wax on certain patients. It just depends.

Good luck to you, and remember, ask questions. If you still do not understand after they explained something to you, ask me or the docs. I know they are willing to help you as much as I am.
Richard

Re: He wants me to try nightsplint for 2 wks. before getting orthodics fitted.

Beverly on 11/28/00 at 16:17 (033741)

I am so ready to get these orthodics, but one more delay. The PT/orthodist I saw today (who I must say examined my feet and ankles more extensively than anyone else to date) said that because my heel and ankles are so tight, he wants me first to try the nightsplint for a week or two and see how much my heel can be loosened up. He says that will tell him alot about what kind of orthodic to make me.

I told him how hestitant I am about the nightsplint due to my hamstring tear (hurts to have my FootFlexed). He examined me so more and said that if ankle positioning hurts behind my knee, then there must be more involved than the hamstring... probably tight gastrocs. That I could have both a hamstring tear and tight gastrocs.

At any rate, he showed me some nightsplints and showed me a very gentle setting. He has a particular kind he is ordering for me that is more padded/comfortable and can be set in less than neutral to get started. So, if my doctor doesn't think this would make my hamstring worse, I'm game.

This fellow thinks even semi-rigid would be hard for me to get used to and thinks I should start with cork orthodics.

So, it will be a few weeks before I can report on the orthodics. I will try the dreaded nightsplint.
Beverly